Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2005 10:27:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Officer McDonald is cleared of any wrong doing?    

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Dumbass. He should have been fired.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Good example of how not to do things.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Not very smart on his part.  Just out of curiousity, why would you post that in a LE forum?  Everyone knows that the guy 'screwed the pooch'.  Do you post people committing violent crimes or murders with a gun in GD?  I feel that there is another motive at hand....but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Some real poor choices displayed here.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I realize we dont get paid shit but I dont think I would have gone through all that over $10. Thats just me though. I would have handled things differently.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
That was really dumb on the cop's part. Really dumb. He should have been charged with assault under color of authority. He had no right to do that. It was not worth a $60k  award to the victim though!  Awards/ settlements like this promote frivilous lawsuits. But the officer should NOT have been cleared of wrong doing, he should have been punished and made to pay some of the award.... (Lots of departments have policies if your behavior is WAY out of line against training or policy, you get to bear some responsibility...).
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
That guy is out of control.  Would the theft of $10 be an arrestable offense?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]

j/k !
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
This is older than dirt to boot. Seen it long ago, seen it many times.

TBO
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Terrible move on the cops part.  The lady sure wasnt very nice either
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It appears discussion of this topic is not permitted outside BOTS, so I'll chime in here. What did the officer do wrong?

1. His situational awareness is so poor that he cannot correctly identify a bill he had in his hand. He is not competent to fulfill his professional responsibilities.

2. He is so arrogant that he was not deterred by the possibility that he was in error.

3. He acted without one of the biggest legal protections an officer usually has: reliance on the statement of a credible witness. Had he called it in and complained to another patrol unit, that officer would have had that protection. The complainant would still be an arrogant fool, though.

4. He used his official authority to try to gain a favorable result in a private dispute.

5. He used force, violence, and putting in fear to attempt to obtain property not his, to-wit: $10 that didn't belong to him. He is therefore a thief and a robber.

6. He forgot that he belongs to the badge, the badge doesn't belong to him.

7. He exhibited an appaling lack of judgment from start to finish.

Were I the chief prosecutor in that jurisdiction, I'd offer him the choice between resigning his job and his certification or being prosecuted for attempted armed robbery and aggravated battery (pepper sopray in the course of a robbery). He might not be convicted, but he wouldn;t show his behind quite like that again. This is no different from the occasional police officer brain fart that causes a guy to "investigate" his ex's new boyfriend, or to otherwise use his legal authority for personal gain. It is entirely unacceptable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It appears discussion of this topic is not permitted outside BOTS, so I'll chime in here. What did the officer do wrong?  It appears civilized discussion without generalization of the entire profession isn't possible outside Bots.

1. His situational awareness is so poor that he cannot correctly identify a bill he had in his hand. He is not competent to fulfill his professional responsibilities.

2. He is so arrogant that he was not deterred by the possibility that he was in error.

3. He acted without one of the biggest legal protections an officer usually has: reliance on the statement of a credible witness. Had he called it in and complained to another patrol unit, that officer would have had that protection. The complainant would still be an arrogant fool, though.

4. He used his official authority to try to gain a favorable result in a private dispute.

5. He used force, violence, and putting in fear to attempt to obtain property not his, to-wit: $10 that didn't belong to him. He is therefore a thief and a robber.

6. He forgot that he belongs to the badge, the badge doesn't belong to him.

7. He exhibited an appaling lack of judgment from start to finish.

Were I the chief prosecutor in that jurisdiction, I'd offer him the choice between resigning his job and his certification or being prosecuted for attempted armed robbery and aggravated battery (pepper sopray in the course of a robbery). He might not be convicted, but he wouldn;t show his behind quite like that again. This is no different from the occasional police officer brain fart that causes a guy to "investigate" his ex's new boyfriend, or to otherwise use his legal authority for personal gain. It is entirely unacceptable.

I agree with and I think everyone else here agrees with the rest of your post.  That's not being disputed here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It appears civilized discussion without generalization of the entire profession isn't possible outside Bots.

Good point, well taken.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~jungle/gallery/bacon.jpg

j/k !

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMm Bacon!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top