Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2005 6:40:08 PM EDT
Anyone planning on going to Police Week in DC this year? Once again, I'll be attending.

If you're a LEO, you owe it to yourself to try to make it to this event at least once in your career. I go every year I'm able to. If you're considering going, now's the time to put in for some vacation time for that week. If you can get a couple guys to go with, can save a bit on a hotel. Doesn't matter where you stay in the area, because the DC metro commuter system is excellent at getting you to the site, since Judiciary Square has its own stop, literally underneath the NLEOM. Come join 25,000 fellow officers for this incredible experience.

If any of you guys are going to be we can meet up at the DC FOP#1 lodge (about a block from the Memorial site) and we'll have a beer or two in the upstairs bar.

Complete schedule and info here:

www.policeweek.org
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn I really want to go, but I am teaching a damn bike school that week!  Too bad I already set the dates!
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to go every year. It was one hell of a good time and a great way to pay respects to our brothers/sisters and their loved ones. I was there when the NYPD got blamed for some really shameful behavior by a lot of different people. Some but not nearly all were actually NYPD. It was all over the national news. I went the following year but the organizers really toned things down and it was pretty much a bore. Incidently, that was Clintons first year in office. It turned my stomach to see him involved in the ceremonies and I couldn't go back for another 7 years. After that, I just got out of the habit. I'd love to go again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I used to go every year. It was one hell of a good time and a great way to pay respects to our brothers/sisters and their loved ones. I was there when the NYPD got blamed for some really shameful behavior by a lot of different people. Some but not nearly all were actually NYPD. It was all over the national news. I went the following year but the organizers really toned things down and it was pretty much a bore. Incidently, that was Clintons first year in office. It turned my stomach to see him involved in the ceremonies and I couldn't go back for another 7 years. After that, I just got out of the habit. I'd love to go again.

Well get yourself there this year. For the past several years GWB himself has given a talk on the Capitol lawn. Last year, he gave his speech, and then for about an hour and a half, walked down off the stage and went from family to family, taking time to meet with any family member of any downed officer. It was great to witness his genuine level of compassion. His speech is always amazing.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Our Department sends a few people every year. I'm going to put my name on the list of those who want to go.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
My calendar shows it's the following week? WPPA shows the WI state capitol ceremony is May 20th...is there more than one set of dates observed?
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been there every year for the past 5 years and will be there again this year.  It's a real hard thing to walk through the memorial with all those pictures and letters there....yeah....I'll be there!

I didn't realize that Lodge 1 had their doors open on the 14th.  I usually have a few beers at the outdoor area that they have blocked off right out side Lodge 1.  

It might be a nice idea to get the ARFCOM cops for a  picture in front of the Capitol on the 15th before the President speaks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It's hard for me to make a trip across the country right now.

Pics would be great from you guys that can make it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been there every year for the past 5 years and will be there again this year.  It's a real hard thing to walk through the memorial with all those pictures and letters there....yeah....I'll be there!

I didn't realize that Lodge 1 had their doors open on the 14th.  I usually have a few beers at the outdoor area that they have blocked off right out side Lodge 1.  

It might be a nice idea to get the ARFCOM cops for a  picture in front of the Capitol on the 15th before the President speaks!

+1 yes that would be a great idea.

Usually Lodge 1 is open most of the week. In addition to the bar/lounge/food upstairs, there's a little gift shop downstairs with all that stuff you can't do without. I usually buy the annual Memorial Badge they make up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
i am going...staying at the harrington......

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If any of you would like to meet up I would offer you a trip to the NRA range in Fairfax, "very Leo friendly," and I do know how to get around the city without being lost, if you have any desire for information on the local sights, please feel free to email.

LRT

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I go every year, and this year is no exception.  I have leave for the entire week.

Any ARFCOM coppers that want to link up for beers at the FOP, I will be there, as usual.  I used to be a DC cop, so I, too know my way around the city pretty well, if anyone wants to see the sights.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to go but I can't take the time off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 2:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone else going? Maybe all us arfcommers can meet up at on Thursday night. I'm going to check into the Whitehouse tour availablity, too. Usually USSS sets aside LEO only hours for the tour on one day. Basically just have to show up with your credentials, and might have to get on a reservation list.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll just be down there Saturday and Sunday.  Staying at the Governor's House Hotel/Beacon Hotel.  I plan on hitting Murphy's in Old Town sometime Saturday during the day, then down to the area around the memorial and Lodge 1 to pay my respects and enjoy the fellowship.  Sunday will be the Capitol of course.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm in town now. IM me if you like, I'll send my cell# if anyone wants to hook up and hoist a couple brews in honor of the fallen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
npd223,

Sorry about not getting to hook up with you and hoist a few.  I didn't have my computer and didn't think to write your number down before I left!  

All in all I thought things were pretty good this year except the weather Saturday night and the slight sound problems today during the service.   GW gave a great speech and really took his time with the survivors.  What a class man!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn...didn't see this thread till after.

I got to participate in a few of the events last week.  I'm in the US Capitol Police Academy right now, and they had our class attend the Blue Mass, Candlelight Vigle, and we worked the memorial service on the West Front of the Capitol this past Sunday.

I got to meet and talk with officers from all over the country, and a few from over seas.  It was an honor to be a part of it all.  

I know it's a long trip for some of you guys, but if you can find the time in your schedule next year, come on out here to DC.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Well another great trip to DC... Too bad for Saturday night's rain, but thankfully the weather cooperated for the vigil and memorial service. I have some pics I need to post up but I'll put the link here. If it's a red X just give it time, I'll try to upload it sometime in the next hour or so.

This picture was taken just before midnight on Sunday May 15th. There is a round the clock honor guard at the memorial until that time. At midnight they come to attention, dismiss and turn off the blue line laser. This photo was at about 11:58 PM

Feel free to use this photo for any non-commercial use.

Edit to add:

Link to high resolution image
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Great picture!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the pic, bro.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top