Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/1/2006 11:28:36 AM EDT
First we had the big storm with 400,000 (or something) people without power, etc.

Then I began experiencing personality changes, cognitive problems, dizziness, headaches and nausea. Finally went into the ER on Saturday (our wedding anniversary, hah) where they used CT and MRI and found found multiple metastatic tumors in my brain, including three large ones and too many small ones to count. I had seizures, brain swelling, you name it. I'm on so many drugs it isn't even funny (if you don't count my brain farts). Came home Monday night, saw radiation guy yesterday and started rad treatment and chemo (Temodar), whole brain radiation, then after smaller lesions are cleared, we'll do targeted stereotactic radiation on the larger brain lesions.

There's treatment and I have hope...

Sorry for my spelling, the drugs are so bad they're good (oncologists give you the best stuff). Just wanted to check in and say hi with a quick update. I miss you guys. (I can hardly see the screen, so I'm going to look at IMs and e-mail another time. Love and hugs)

Going back to bed now.

<<What a hard thing to have to put in the title.  RIP Ginger. -MrsG >>
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
OMG Ginger, I am soooooooo sorry!!!!  I'll start praying even harder than ever, my friend.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]
oh Ginger really sorry to hear about your troubles! Will send lots of extra prayers and your way!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
hang in there, sweet Ginger - you're in all our prayers...  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Ginger it is GOOD to hear from you at last!  We are sending MORE prayers your way...

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh My Lord GIRL!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.  God bless you....I truly mean that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Prayers inbound..hugs are being sent your way for a speedy recovery..
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the update.

You are in the thoughts and prayers of many of us who haven't met you yet as well as those others who have.

Some things in life are just hard.  

I am grateful that you are comfortable.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My prayers are with you too. Hang tough, and you'll get thru it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Wow did this thread hit home.

My cousin called me from Ohio last Monday. I had been saying I wasnt going home this Thanksgiving due to much higher than normal plane tickets ($700 vs. normal 200-300), I would just wait until after the first of the year.

My Moms baby Sister, the Aunt who babysat me from when I could remember until I started school, was lethargic Saturday night. Took her into the ER, CAT scan, 6 tumors on her brain.

Put in a temp drain, since exchanged for one (perm I guess) to her stomach. Radiation starts soon. She just beat breast cancer last year.

I had my bout with cancer two years ago. Im going home for Thanksgiving.

You are right Ginger, there is treatment and you keep your hope. Fight it as hard as you have ever fought anythign in your life. It is indeed beatable.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
prayers and hugs sent Ginger.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish you a complete recovery.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My prayers and positive thoughts are headed your way!

Keep fighting!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Just though I would butt in....

My brother just got through cancer surgery for lung cancer (he is not a smoker).  Your not alone.  Prayers for my brother worked, so I will send some your way.  God Bless.  Were rooting for you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this is the Women's Forum and my wife directed me here. Ginger, through IM's and her blog has pushed me to get "questionable" moles taken care of... I owe you Ginger!

Massive amounts of prayers coming your way from the Frige Family.

If there is ANYTHING you need please IM me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Ginger, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a complete recovery.

Please give one of the ladies on here that you trust your contact info so that we can all be aware of how you're progressing even if you aren't able to spend time on the forum. That person can stay in touch with you and then inform us of your progress while you rest and heal.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Ginger, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay tough, cutie.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh Ginger!  Hang in there hon!!  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}  You're in my prayers.

Patty
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going to put you on our list of intentions during family prayer each night.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#22]
You are in my prayers.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Prayers sent on your behalf, Ginger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:50:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Ginger...many thoughts and white light headed your way.  My husband had a Glioblastoma, grade IV.  I know what you and your family are going through. Please IM me if you want to talk, or bounce anything off me.

Take care of you, and I'll be thinking about you.

Daisy
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#25]

hang tough girl.

TXL
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#27]
As someone with a family history of melanoma, I want to assure you it can be beaten.

My father was diagnosed with Stage III when I was a kid.  It cast a shadow in the house, but he was tough.  He has been cancer free for over 20 years now.  The worry of "when will it return" is something that can be managed.  How?  By the usual way families handle things.  By fighting about something more interesting!  

My Grandfather had melanoma when Pterodactyls were flying about, so no idea what "stage" he was in.  He turned 89 recently.  His account leaves a lot to be desired. He is pretty gruff.  "They cut it off.  Several times." describes his account.  

Incidentally, I come from a long line of redheads.  

I have had Basal and Squamous (sp?) removed on me so far (age 35), but no signs of melanoma yet.  I am a skin nazi about my kids, which I know you can understand.  If I ever hear of either of them going to a tanning booth I will go absolutely 100% USDA Grade A Apeshit.

I want to thank you for having the courage to be honest in your Blog.  I check it regularly for updates.  

Prayers for a full recovery are certainly sent your way!
Cheese

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you.

I'm a bit out of things right now, but wanted to say thanks for the never-ending love and support that I knew I would find here when I opened the page. You guys have no idea how much you've helped me through the past months.

Drugs kicked in now, need sleep, radiation tastes funny at 7 am every day... a bit like victory.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't even know what to say.

We love you, though.  You've got a lot of prayers coming your way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#30]
<Praying for Ginger>

God Bless
Michael
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Fight hard. Get your rest. Heal quickly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Time to get mean. Give'em both barrels!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#33]
That's terrible news, Ginger.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Ginger, Hang in there. we're all pulling for you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#35]
We love you!

Be strong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh man.

Ya know Ginger, I almost feel sorry for that tumor.
Because I know you are gonna kick its ASS right outta there.

HARD!!!!!
Stay strong, hun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2006 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#38]
WOW... All this support is much-appreciated, and I'll be sure to pass it on whenever Ginger is not able to be online (I'm Mister Ginger, BTW, for those who don't already know).

She's sleeping right now, and tonight is the last installment of her Chemo treatments, so I'm hoping she will be feeling better soon. She feels that the radiation treatments are working already, but she still needs her meds to keep the pain in check. She wants to do her everyday routine, but she can't. I'm with her as much as possible, and I missed a lot of work last week.

Feel free to IM me or post to her blog if you care to. I'm sure her IM inbox is already full.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I am so late to this but I wanted I just wanted to say.....

I will keep you in my prayers Ginger!
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
so sorry to hear you have more to battle, will continue praying for you.

Link Posted: 11/10/2006 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh, Giiiiiiiinger....

Do you feel well enough to tell us how you're doing?
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Ginger, I haven't checked into Womens Forum in a long while.  I am so sorry to learn of your metastatic lesions.  I hope & pray that you will have successful treatment!

(edited out the Livestrong stuff since I see from your blog that you already have links to it).
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey guys, thanks for the continued support.

I'm doing much better. Every day is a bit easier, I'm pleased to say. The drugs they have me on have a pretty high WTF factor, but I'm getting used to them and it's nice not to have seizures. Being done with chemo makes a huge difference... I'm still not as cognisant as I'd like, or am used to (don't laugh), but much more functional and getting better each day

Today is day 9 of whole brain radiation treatments, which has been pretty hard to deal with, but with only 5 more days of this to go before I start stereotactic therapy, it's definitely do-able - and I get the weekend off now to relax with my lovely family, which will be wonderful. Jim and I might drive to Niagara Falls in the morning to see the sunrise, if we can get moving. I'm looking forward to that after this week of utter bleh.

I check in here most days, but prefer to read your exploits and fun because it's better than my stuff and my attention span isn't worth a damn right now for posting anything of any use or sense anyway. You guys never fail to make me laugh and I thank you for that.

BTW, I have the best doctors in the world!

Link Posted: 11/10/2006 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Thinking of you!  
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Good luck Ginger.

Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Hang in there girl!   You're a true inspiration, and you'll beat it!  

Link Posted: 11/11/2006 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sending you ALL of them.    Every prayer and good wish I know or can make up.

When you're done with all this and healthy again,  you're going to glow like a Cyalume in a microwave oven.

You're stronger than cancer.  Meaner, too.   And don't you forget it!

Link Posted: 11/11/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Ginger, I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle. Now go kick some ass!
(please see sig line)
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Ginger,

My wife (RN) runs a cancer research center in Ann Arbor, MI.  affiliated with the National Institute of Health and Mayo Clinic. It sounds like you have a lot of faith in your doctors , but if you have any questions or need any info IM me and I'll put you in touch with her.

Get well,

Paul.

Link Posted: 11/11/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Good grief. 10 days later and this is the first I've heard of this!

Hang in there Ginger! I'll say my own prayers for you as well.

Drugs kicked in now, need sleep, radiation tastes funny at 7 am every day... a bit like victory.

I don't think victory is the word I would have used. But you certainly have the right attitude to beat this. Keep it up girlfriend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top