Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2002 3:24:06 PM EDT
This true story is about Rangers rescuing POW's from a Japanese run prison camp in the Philipenes. These  POW's were for the most part the worst-off of the Bataan death march survivors. The healthier ones had been dispersed around the the Japanese Empire for labor. It was believed that the Japs were going to exterminate these left over prisoners before the U.S. advance could overtake the camp. The Rangers had to go behind Jap lines, with local Philipino assistance, and rescue these guys before the Japs could do another prisoner massacare(survivors from the previous butcher had already been found and told the story).
This isn't a usual combat story, but one that shouldn't be ignored or fogotten. The prisoners endured a lot for a few years, and I found it amazing how things worked out(God-Providence?)to prepare the POW's physically for the trek back to freindly lines. Get the book, pass it along.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
History channel had a show on it the other day. Pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I read the book, but wasn't that impressed.  Good story, not the greatest writing, IMHO.  It was a little slow.  Definately a story that should not be forgotten.  It would make a great movie!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I read the book, but wasn't that impressed.  Good story, not the greatest writing, IMHO.  It was a little slow.  Definately a story that should not be forgotten.  It would make a great movie!
View Quote

There will be a movie about the mission.

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020114/en/film-bratt_1.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I read it a couple of months ago & found it could use better maps.  It does develop the story on both the POW's & the Ranger's along with some pre & post info.

I seem to remember a similar rescue attempt in the European theater.  I think it was a small combined armor + ranger force that made it to the camp, forced the guards away but then didn't have the means to get the POW's back.  Many of ones they tried to bring out were wounded & or recaptured & put into another camp for what little time was left in the war.  I'll try to find more info on this & post.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the ETO book you're reffering to is "The Raid" by Baron, Baum and Goldhurst.  It's about an operation planned by Patton to liberate POW's from a German POW camp.  The big contreversy is about whether or not Patton knew his son in law was being held in the camp at the time.  If I remember correctly, some POWs were freed but eventually recaptured along with most of the liberating troops.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Slow writing and maps aside, how would we fare if in a similiar situation? What impressed me most about the story was enduring horrible conditions for that length of time. I have the greatest respect for them guys, holding out before the surrender, going through the march, and doing the best they could during imprisonment. A different kind of war story. I'm thankful the author took the time to remind this current generation of the efforts and sacrifices of a past generation. Thanks to all guys like my grandfather, a WWII Marine who did some island hopping.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top