Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2001 6:25:30 AM EDT
New to this, can someone tell me if it is legal in NJ to purchase, finish and assemble an 80% AR receiver?  How about an 80% 1911 receiver? I've read and reread the statute over and over, and it seems clear that you can not.  Am I correct?
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
  Then I'm in deeper doo doo than usual.  The way I read the laws, as long as I do not make an "assault weapon" out of my AR 80% casting, i.e. keep the evil features down to two, I'm fine.  No registration required on non-ass gun rifles.  And NICS is only required when purchasing.  

Pistols may be another story.  I'm just about ready to take the leap & buy one of William's "Tannery Shop" 1911 castings.  If I understand his ad correctly, he's done all of the drilling & tapping.  All that remains is to mill the slide rails.  Even I can do that.  :)  NJ's pistol permit is for purchasing.  I brought several handguns into NJ from NY, where I lived for 22 years.  The Sgt. in the firearms division in Trenton just said, "Bring 'em on in.  No registration required".  Because they were legally purchased in another jurisdiction.  After all of the NJ stories I'd heard, that was a scarey thought.  At least in NY, I had a permit to carry with me.  In NJ, nada.

I'll have to do some more reading on the "homemade" pistol laws.  Maybe even call up the NJ firearms division again.  He was pretty friendly & seemed to be knowledgable.

Best of luck,
Norm
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Norm,

I'd be very interested in hearing about any conversations you have with someone of authority.  I too am ready to take the plunge, but want to be certain.  This is NJ we're talking about!
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm. Just spent some time in the NJ statutes on the web.  2C:39 and 2C:52  Neither has an exemption for homemade rifles or handgun for self-use.  The only places they get into manufacturer's licensing, they use words like "all" & "must".  No expemtions.  I remember NY having an exemption, even for handguns, but you had to register it very early in the process.  It looks like no exemption for NJ.  Like I said, I may be in deeper doo doo than usual.

Time for a call.

Good luck,  I'll need it too.
Norm
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just wonder how in the world is the police/ATF is going to know that your gun was made from a 80% casting, when you made it look commerical? I wonder the same about selective fire converted AR-15's... unless you shoot full auto theres no way anyone's going to know that you have a machine gun...
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotta love those vauge NJ statutes, kinda like the hollow point/Dum dum round thing.  From some reliable sources I have talked to you can order that 1911 frame through a NJ dealer using a pistol permit, and build it without any problems.  I was wondering what you find out as well Norm.  I am considring putting together my first project BM lower with some trick parts and a DPMS super bull 24"  What do you mean when you say 80% receiver?  I assume it is the materials used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top