Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 5:38:11 PM EDT
What size knife can i carry on my person? Do i have to have it on my belt or in my pocket ect?

paper
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC any folder under 4 inches can be carried ocncealed. I have a Benchamde Pinnacle that I carry all over
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Snorkel Bob, Btw is that 4 inch blade or overall length?

Paper
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Belt-buckle knives are specifically mentioned in the code as a no-no.  Those are popular down in Tijuana.

I'd like to add that you can carry any size switchblade in your car as long as it isn't in the passenger compartment (i.e. within reach).  IOW, if you happen to buy one in Oregon or another knife-friendly state be sure to pack it in the trunk of your car when you re-enter Californistan.  Inside of your home switchblades are all legal, as well as any dirks, daggers, etc. that you own.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
With reguards to fixed blade knives, are all of these included:
1. Credit card knife (fixed blade)
2. single edge razor blade (fixed blade w/ handle)
3. Neck knife (fixed blade)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear a knife with a 2 11/16" fixed blade, in a rawhide sheath hanging from my neck. I make sure it's outside of all clothing when I do wear it. I have worn it around plenty of CHP, local PD and Sheriff's Dept. personnel and never had anyone say anything about it.  If I get pulled over, I just ease it off my neck and toss it in the back seat in plain view. I've only been pulled over once, though and the officer didn't ask what I was doing or anything about the knife.
I've been wondering, why the limits on types of knives one can carry? Any opinions? I was wondering if it had to do with vest penetration.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's Caliban knife law in a nutshell:

Slitting saw - [size=6][b]GOOD[/b][/size=6]...Shuriken - [size=6][b][red]BAD[/red][/b][/size=6].

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1626477&a=12428937&p=57094754&Sequence=0[/img]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose the next thing to be restricted will be fists:

"It shall be unlawful to curl more than 3 fingers of any hand through an angle of more than 180 degrees, except for the express purpose of grasping a lawful object or extending the index finger."

Gotta love those politicians and lawyers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
California_Kid, hang on to that slitting saw. They're gonna ban imports of those deadly things someday and you'll be glad you grandfathered yours in!
Yes Troy, that was kind of a stupid question. I am truly curious what reason, if any, the politician who wrote/sponsored the current knife laws had. Anyway, it's all academic as they say.
Seems like Japan many years ago when the only "weapons" the peasants had were considered farm implements by the Lords (I think I got that history right!?), i.e. nunchaku, bo, etc.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone familiar with the CRKT Stiff K.I.S.S.? If I were to carry that on my belt in a horizontal carry, with a shirt tucked in. It would be legal, right? the only thing to make it illegal is to have my shirt conceal it at one point or another. Is this the correct way to read CA knife laws?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top