Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2001 6:22:54 PM EDT
i have a carbon 15 pistol.. i know i cant put a handguard on it ..but can i legally attach a folding bipod? saw this done at a gun show..but want to check the legalities
 thanx in advance'
   john in houston
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem there might be that the folded bipod would provide a forward grip/heat shield, which would be forbidden for the post-ban pistol.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see why not, after all, if someone was to clamp a SureFire light to the underside of the barrel and had the pressure switch mounted on the side it wouldn't be a handle, it is a flashlight.
[X]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
USNJoe:  A flashlight mount under or to the side of the barrel might also be illegal on an AR-15 post-ban pistol.  It's ok on more conventional pistols because they don't have a magazine which mounts outside of the pistol grip (another 'evil feature').
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
checked with the pro-ord people and guess what.. per them you can attach a bipod with out voiding your warranty and they sell laser and flash light mounts for their ar-15type pistols
  john
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
YES you can attatch a bipod to your pistol.
People have been putting bipods on pistols for over 60years.

I wouldn't worry about it....  JEEZE some of you guys are just SO scared of the simpelest things.  If YOU aren't sure you damn well know that ANY COP doesn't have a clue.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
YES you can attatch a bipod to your pistol.
People have been putting bipods on pistols for over 60years.
BISHOP
View Quote

With all due respect Sir,what people have been doing for the last 60 years doesn't mean crap as to what we can do in the year 2001. I personally don't know the answer to badassjon's question , but I do know the answer isn't what was legal for the last 60 years. It's what legal now.
  While I don't always agree with Troy, I have always trusted his opinions in these matters
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
1st thanx for all the replies to my question
2nd let me tell you what the atf technical branch agent told me today 09/26/01..i can legally attach the bipod ..or flash light or a laser ..as these thigs are not handguards or heat shields and can not (read that to say should not?) be used in that manner .
 so.... flash lights are flash lights and bipods are bipods..today anyway
  john in houston
 p.s. the pro-ord pistol is very easy to fire without a handguard.. the magazine makes a fine hand hold  if you slip the offhand thumb thru the trigger guard and grasp the magwell
 john
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top