Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 3:00:51 PM EDT
I have a quick question or two and I appreciate any help from ya'll.  A friend who is also a retired LEO wants to sell his "as new, unfired" pre-ban Colt Car-15.  It is verifiably pre-ban but it does have the restricted LEO stamp on it.  My question is whether there's any legal reason he cannot transfer this rifle to me, a non-LEO?  I think that as it is pre-ban, it is no different than any other pre-ban AR-15.

One more thing...any thoughts on its value?  Here are some details...16"bbl, flash hider, bayo lug, FT w/handle, 4pos. stock, unfired but no box, all factory ass. Colt.  I'll know more tomorrow when I actually see it.

TIA for your help, guys!
Nut out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Something's not adding up here... if it's truly a pre-ban, it wouldn't have the LEO stamp on it - that marking was not required until several months after the ban went into effect.

If it's got a LEO restriction stamp on it, then it was made and shipped after the ban, or was reworked into a LEO-only config by a licensed manufacturer from a stripped lower after the ban (essentially remanufacturing it, and making it a restricted post-ban now).

My questions to you would be how do you know it's verifiably pre-ban (letter from colt, receipt, what?), and if it's verifiable as a pre-ban, then how did it get post-ban SAW LEO markings on it?

As for value, that'll depend on which model number it is and if it's not restricted.  Somewhere between $1500 and $2200 for new, unfired with no box, depending on model.

If it's a restricted LEO gun, then whatever a similar new LEO gun goes for today, less something for having no box.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Circuits,
I'm wondering the same thing about why the markings are on it if it is pre-ban.  I intend to check the serial number tomorrow to try and verify its status.  I wonder if some of the LEO rifles were marked prior to '94 simply because they were part of a LE contract?  I don't know.  My question is ASSUMING it is in fact verifiably pre-ban (and I assume it probably is because I know the seller well and he will not lie about it), are there any other issues I should be concerned about since it was obviously a LE gun?  I really doubt it, but I thought I would ask since I know there are some very knowledgeable members on this board.

One more thing.  Could someone please give me a quick tutorial in the whole "large-pin, small pin" thing with regard to Colt's?  I only have Bushies and I've never had to worry about that.  What's the difference?  Pros?  Cons?

Thanks again!
'Nut
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually if IIRC it was the other way around. Postban LE SAW's were not being identifed as such for upwards of a year or so after the ban went into effect.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
According to the ATF web site (FAQ's), the requirement that restricted post-ban SAW's be so marked went into effect in 1995(May, 1995 I think).  At any rate, I'm thinking the markings on the rifle in question (which is pre-ban) may be analogous to +P+ "LE only" ammo, which of course is legal for anybody to buy/own.  But, I just don't know for sure...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#5]
45nut:

It could be although I never heard of it. It's not a SF/FA or SBR is it?  Maybe the LE Agency added the markings.

Post your question on the Colt forum. Maybe you'll get an answer there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]Checked the serial no. with Colt's[/b]

Unfortunately it IS a post-ban.  DAMN!  Just thought I'd let ya'll know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top