Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 1:10:20 PM EDT
I was thinking about getting some 7.62 steel core ammo. It is rather pricey so my question is, is it worth it for what it does and is it legal to have in Kali?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't point to where Kalifornia law would be located.

However, my GUESS is that the answer is [b]NO[/b].  (Thank about it...  In KALIFORNIA??!)
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
well i know steel core 223 and 30-06 is legal in CA well it was when i lived there 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are in Kali, and it goes in a gun, it and the gun are probably illegal!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#4]
they sell AP ammo in 30-06 in kalif all the time, heck i got some
its usually remanufactured govt ammo

if the SS109 green tip stuff is AP, ive seen that for sale too

the only AP 762x39 ammo that i know of is chinese, and i havent seen it in a long time, might find some in NV
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
It's legal to own as long as it's not primarily designed for use in handguns. Obviously 7.62 is not primarily designed for handguns. Tracers are banned except for use in shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
mattja is correct.  There's no law against AP rifle ammo in California.

However, there are some regulations that restrict ts use.  I believe you can't shoot it in national forests at all.  Check with local authorities before you shoot.  The reason is fire prevention.  Steel cored ammo can send up some pretty horrific sparks when it hits hard objects like rocks, and we do have a serious fire problem.

BTW I'm surprised that 7.62 x (I assume) 39 steel cored ammo would be "pricey".  The Chinese stuff used to be dirt cheap here, partly because of the regulations regarding its use.  You sure can't shoot it in any indoor range.  Public ranges with dirt backdrops don't mind it though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
7.62mm NATO AP is considered a handgun cartridge and is illegal to sell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Fortunately for us, the Thompson Contender, etc. crowd have managed to make most AP rounds illegal.
The real F-ed up part about the law is if you go down to 12322 and read it, it pretty clearly states that ammunition primarily designed for rifles is exempt.
Also, the law specifically says "ammunition" and makes no mention of bullets.  And, it's perfectly legal to possess it if it's been deactivated (CPC 12324)

BTW, if you shoot someone with AP rounds, it's 1st, not second degree murder.  AND, if you commit a felony while armed and in possesion of AP ammo, it's an automatic 3, 4 or 10 years added onto your sentence.
Last but not least if you wear body armor while committing said felony, you get an extra 1, 2 or 5 years.

Welcome to California.

Here's the text of the law.
12320.  Any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state
knowingly possesses any handgun ammunition designed primarily to
penetrate metal or armor is guilty of a public offense and upon
conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the state
prison, or in the county jail for a term not to exceed one year, or
by a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000), or by both
such fine and imprisonment.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Oly arms made a 7.62x39 AR pistol, this is what got the chinese stuff banned
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oly arms made a 7.62x39 AR pistol, this is what got the chinese stuff banned
View Quote
wasnt it called the comerade? dont know who made it but i think the AW ban slamed it from being put into full production

Link Posted: 8/16/2001 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top