Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2001 8:14:15 PM EDT
I've seen an interesting situation in Dekalb County, Georgia, where the probate court will unlawfully disallow filing for a permit renewal if your permit was issued in another county.  I am currently pursuing a legal action someone in Dekalb county regarding this.

1) How do other Georgia counties handle this?  Would you like to help out by providing me a sworn affidavit from your county it will receive and process applications for renewal of CCW license, even if the license-to-be-renewed was issued in another county?

2) If you live in Dekalb County, Georgia, and hold a CCW license from another county, how would you like to get involved in a way that could pave the way for future renewers?

3) Are you an attorney in Georgia and would like to examine my case, pro bono?

If any of the preceding conditions describe you, please contact me at [email protected] by July 31.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh boy; one more reason I'm glad I don't live in Dekalb any more.  Just renewed my licence in Gwinnett County, that was issued in Forsyth County.  No problems at all.  Not only was the old licence issued in Forsyth,  IT HAD BEEN EXPIRED FOR FOUR YEARS! (Up til I recently retired, I've been a federal security officer in recent years and didn't need a private carry permit)  I'd contact the stat attorney general's office and have them hopefully set this guy straight on what the law provides.  IT'S A STATE WIDE LICENCE, JUST LIKE YOUR AUTO TAGS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
In Georgia you are supposed to replace your license with one from the probate court in your new county when you move.  This is nothing but harrassment by Dekalb County.  I used to live there, but did not have CCW at the time.  You must remember that Dekalb County is a Democrap stronghold and very anti-gun.  Call the state AG's office.
(3) Applications for renewal of licenses issued under this Code
   section shall be made to the judge of the probate court of the
   county in which the applicant is domiciled or, if the applicant is
   a member of the United States armed forces, the county in which he
   or she resides or in which the military reservation on which the
   applicant resides is located in whole or in part at the time of
   making the renewal application. In the case of an applicant for a
   renewal of a license, the judge of the probate court may, in his
   or her discretion, direct that the local county law enforcement
   agency request a search of the criminal history file and wanted
   persons file of the Georgia Crime Information Center by computer
   access from that county in lieu of transmitting the application
   and forms.
View Quote
This is from Georgia code 16-11-129 which is available online at this address
[url]http://www.ganet.org/cgi-bin/pub/ocode/ocgsearch?docname=OCode/G/16/11/129&highlight=16-11-129[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top