Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2001 7:56:51 PM EDT
Can I legally buy a stripped AR lower in California?

Is it legal for an out-of-state dealer to ship one to my local FFL dealer?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
yes as long as the lower inst on the doj list and it complies with SB23 good luck finding one not on the list thu
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's up in the air right now with the recent CSC decision on Roberti-Roos.  I doubt that you will find a dealer willing to risk it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The question is being asked to the DOJ about the CAV-15, and then Fulton has receivers.

Problem is how DOJ interprets the recent SC decision.  Their intrepretations are typically against gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always easiest to tell people no. Lawmakers/lawyers are as guilty of this as any other group, unfortunately. The more laws these guys pass, the busier it makes them look, no matter how misguided the resultant regulation is. [}:(]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll a fresh cup of coffee the DoJ waffles or says "No" to any question about the legality of any specific make or model.  They tend to err on the side of not telling you something is legal when they aren't sure.  Any answer you get from them will be equivocal at best.

The Legislature has now tried twice and failed to ban what they really want to ban, which is scary looking guns.  The DoJ people aren't stupid.  They understand the Legislature's intent and they understand the SCOCR decision.  They know damn well it's now legal for people to buy certain items, but they're caught in the middle and really CAN'T tell you it's OK to do something they know the Legislature doesn't want you doing.

The provisional state government of the Occupied California Republic has put itself in an endless loop, an unwinnable game of catch-up with gun manufacturers.  Right now the only way they can stop people from legally acquiring complete, functional ARs is to STOP listing new models.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an FFL in the Los Angeles area who is very eager to get some stripped lowers.
He has already contected the DOJ, and they told him they would be sending out a letter
soon to all the states FFL's regarding the
Supreme Court case.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Sparhawk, did the FFL drop any hints as to what DOJ said? Or is he stuck waiting for the mail from Sacramento!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have an FFL in the Los Angeles area who is very eager to get some stripped lowers.
He has already contected the DOJ, and they told him they would be sending out a letter
soon to all the states FFL's regarding the
Supreme Court case.

Chris
View Quote

Sounds like a NO to me.

BUT we can HOPE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top