Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2001 4:54:44 PM EDT
I have looked the forum over pretty good but could not find a definate answer to my question.  

My question is this:

How many M16 trigger parts can you have in your possesion before it is illegal.  Would be illegal to have some of those parts and not own a AR15 or M16.

I know an older gentleman ( millitary ol' timer ) that has had possesion of several ( but not all of them ) for many years now but he has never owned a AR15 or M16.

What is the legal stance on this ?

Thanks, USMC_LB
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure some here will argue the point, but in my legal opinion, if you have an AR15, having any of the M16 fire control components in your possession (not even installed) is quite risky and certainly enough for an aggressive prosecutor to get an indictment.  You want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to try and beat it?  Certainly having enough M16 parts (whether installed or not) to cause the gun to fire more than one round per pull of the trigger when they are installed, even if its a fluke and not consistant, will be enough to put you away.  That is, if BATF can install the part or parts in question and get your rifle to fire more than one round per pull of the trigger (even with a little tinkering), you are in deep kim chee.

So how many M16 fire control components can you have before you put yourself in legal jeopardy if you also have an AR15?  In my legal opinion, none.

shaggy (esq.)
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It is also my understanding that possesion of any M16 parts that are necessary to make a full auto and possesion of an AR15 is a no no.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you find the information on the auto sear and what is considered the auto sear? Doug.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The auto sear is the auto sear - it's a specific part.  You can see a drawing of one at bushmaster's website [url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]

Look under online catalog | lower receiver assemblies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top