Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 6:20:46 AM EDT

When carring, transporting(to and from range, etc), and using NFA weapons, what proof do you carry, to prove that its legal?

Can I carry a photocopy, and leave the original at home in the safe?

Does in need to be noterized?

Do I need to copy both side of the form?

Can I reduse the copy so that I can get, 2 or maybe 4 of the forms on one page?

Dr64
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
ATF suggests you keep a photocopy of your approved form with tax stamp with the weapon at all times.  Since the form with stamp is a tax return, you're only legally bound to show it to a revenue enforcement agent (aka, ATF agent) - not necessarily to police officers.

It's OK to reduce the copy, as long you can still read it all.  I just copy the front side, myself.  If you want it notarized, go ahead, but it's not required or anything.

Some range operators may want to see your stamp - you don't have to show it to them, but they don't have to let you shoot there, either.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget your 5320.20's for interstate travel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait a minute..Are you guys saying that anytime I go to my gun range or transport my AR15's, that I have to have some form with me to prove that I own them???
I own three AR's...Two of them I bought in 1983 and One in July of 1994...

I never heard of any law that states that I have to prove that I own them...
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait a minute..Are you guys saying that anytime I go to my gun range or transport my AR15's, that I have to have some form with me to prove that I own them???
I own three AR's...Two of them I bought in 1983 and One in July of 1994...

I never heard of any law that states that I have to prove that I own them...
View Quote

If your AR's are NFA weapons (machinegun or short-barrel or AOW), then you really should have a copy of your form on you or with the weapon.  It's not absolutely required, but your rifle might be confiscated until you can produce proof it's registered to you.

You MUST carry your approved 5320.20 when transporting NFA items across state lines.

If your AR's are just regular old pre- or post-ban semi autos, you don't need no proof of ownership most places, but in California and maybe some other wacky jurisdictions,  you have to keep your papers on you when transporting them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
in Califonria u would need a copy of your papers with the Weaopon since Ca has severly restrited the legal use of all legally registred so called AWs
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok..Maybe I need some instruction here. I feel a little in the dark.

The NFA, as you refer to it, in my understanding, is the National Firearms Act of October 13, 1994. Is that correct??

Therefore, my understanding was that this act prohibited the manufacture of , the so called evil features on a firearm, like the AR-15. That is to say, they can no longer be short barrels with folding stock and bayo lug..
Is this correct??

In addition, you, as a manufacturer can no longer make magazines greater then 10 rounds.
Is this correct??

However, prior to 13 October, 1994 If I owned a rife like their so called evil gun features, I own it. That means..its mine and I am grandfathered in. THats why I bought one in July of 1994. That why I paid the crazy price they were charging....

What are you folks saying? Have I been mislead??
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
NFA is the National Firearms Act, 1934, (IIRC) and it regulates fully auto weapons, short barreled weapons, and surpressed weapons. There is a tax associated with the transfer of these weapons/items.

I don't remember the name of the 9/13/94 law but it set the AW, "evil feature" and the high capacity ammunition feeding device ban.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:(:
NFA is the National Firearms Act, 1934, (IIRC) and it regulates fully auto weapons, short barreled weapons, and surpressed weapons. There is a tax associated with the transfer of these weapons/items.

I don't remember the name of the 9/13/94 law but it set the AW, "evil feature" and the high capacity ammunition feeding device ban.
View Quote
94 crime bill long winded name Omnibus Crime Bill of 1994

Link Posted: 7/8/2001 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Even longer, I believe - "Omnibus Violent Crime Control Act of 1994" abbreviated VCCA 94.  Sometimes referred to (but incorrectly) as "Brady II".  Portions of what would have been Brady II were incorporated in VCCA 94.

Ebic, your AR-15's are pre-VCCA 94, and don't have to be registered or anything on the federal level.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank You, Circuits...I was hoping that I did not have to be worried...

By the Way, what would I of had to do today.., if I had bought PRE...uppers and lowers and put them together in the mid 80's??? Neither of them were parts of a real gun, but they were assembled as a real gun in the mid 80's..hypothetically speacking...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top