Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2001 6:44:09 PM EDT
I just spent the last hour searching though legal jargon, and have lost my patience.  All I want to do is read what the legal limit of imported parts are allowed on an AK. You either hear about no more than 10 imported parts or at least 5 US made parts. What is the deal.  (In black and white, please.)  

In a nutshell, I just bought a supposedly 100% Bulgarian SLR95 with the thumbhole stock.  The guy claims it is all original.  I have been tracking it via UPS, and it should arrive at my FFL dealer tomorrow.  So, I haven't actually laid eyes on it.

Please show me where it says in plain english the domestic parts requirements for this weapon if I want to legally replace the stock with a pistol gripped version.

Here is the link to where I was browsing when I lost patience. [url]http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html[/url]

Thank you.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This James Bardwell site should answer your questions: [url]http://www.subguns.com/laws/semi_auto.faq[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You.

Talk about a wild goose chase.....

To be interested in deciphering law of any form, I imagine it has to be in your blood.

Way too many cross-references for this country boy.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
On another note, I was talking to a dealer at a show this weekend.  He had a NIW black synthetic Bulgarian pistol grip stock set he was trying to sell me.  I told him that I wanted to stay legal. He basically said "hogwash!". He went on to tell me that it wasn't illegal to [i]possess[/i] an illegally assembled weapon.  I didn't believe it(and still don't), but I found this on the link USNvet provided.

[blue]Note also that sec. 922(r) only bans "assembly", it is not a
crime to possess a weapon "assembled" in violation of this section.
However it may be subject to seizure and forfeiture, under some
circumstances, if ATF can show it was assembled in knowing or
willful violation of the Gun Control Act, under 18 U.S.C. sec.
924(d)(1), by clear and convincing evidence.[/blue]

Dang, I should have had the previous owner install the stock set before he transferred it to me.  I would still rather not have ANY of my goods seized, so I plan on keeping everything by the books.  As well as I can interpret them.

Mucho other info on that particular page.  Nice bookmark, if ya need it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2001 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
what i want to know is how can u tell its a forgien part its not like there all stamped made in ...
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what i want to know is how can u tell its a forgien part its not like there all stamped made in ...
View Quote

In some cases I've seen exactly that - US replacement parts with 'made in USA' stamped on them.  How one would authenticate that stamp is another story.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
cope here you go:this was originally posted by DOGG OF DEMISE on ak47net                Dogg of Demise
here's a list of parts.
Milled Reciever AK's (No Muzzle Attachment)
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Barrel
3 Bolt
4 Bolt Carrier
5 Gas Piston
6 Hammer
7 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
8 Disconnector
9 Buttstock(thumbhole)
10 Hand Guards/Forearms
11 Magazine body
12 Magazine Follower
13 Magazine Floorplate
14 Pistol grip
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 4 U. S. Parts.
Milled Reciever AK's W/Muzzle Attachment
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Barrel
3 Bolt
4 Bolt Carrier
5 Gas Piston
6 Hammer
7 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
8 Disconnector
9 Buttstock(thumbhole)
10 Hand Guards/Forearms
11 Magazine body
12 Magazine Follower
13 Magazine Floorplate
14 Pistol grip
15 Pin-on Muzzle Attachment
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 5 U. S. Parts.
Stamped Reciever AK's (No Muzzle Attachment)
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Trunion
3 Barrel
4 Bolt
5 Bolt Carrier
6 Gas Piston
7 Hammer
8 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
9 Disconnector
10 Buttstock(thumbhole)
11 Hand Guards/Forearms
12 Magazine body
13 Magazine Follower
14 Magazine Floorplate
15 Pistol grip
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 5 U. S. Parts.
Stamped Reciever AK's W/Muzzle Attachment
1 Frame/Reciever
2 Trunion
3 Barrel
4 Bolt
5 Bolt Carrier
6 Gas Piston
7 Hammer
8 Trigger and Hammer release(one piece)
9 Disconnector
10 Buttstock(thumbhole)
11 Hand Guards/Forearms
12 Magazine body
13 Magazine Follower
14 Magazine Floorplate
15 Pistol grip
16 Pin-on Muzzle Attachment
No more than 10 foreign parts, must use 6 U. S. Parts.
--------------------

Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks MMK!

Now that I have the SLR-95, I don't want to screw with it!  It is such a sweet piece, in comparison to the Maadi I just rid myself of.  The trigger is great on this factory built rifle, and just can't see screwing with it.  Although the stock is kinda cheesy, I can get an excellent cheek weld with it.  Best $450 AK I could find anywhere.  Very happy with it.

I have the info saved for future reference.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
your welcome!i try to be helpful when i can.i agree about not changing the parts out.i've had the pleasure of shooting a few SLR-95's and they are sweet.enjoy it.mmk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top