Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2001 4:57:15 PM EDT
I sent my registration form on 12-22-00 and have not heard anything or had my check cashed yet. Is this normal
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They're supposed to aknowledge your registration within 30 days. They did mine. Your's seems to be late. Did you send it confirmed delivery or anything which proves you sent it? I hope so. Check the DOJ web site to see what you should do now. I don't remember the URL offhand but a search of .gov sites and regagun should get you there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2001 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I finally got mine Yesterday. I was beginning to think they weren't going to send me anything.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent my reg papers on about Dec. 15th with proof of delivery , heard nothing as of Dec 29 and sent in another complete set. Received the proof of delivery about a week ago but never heard from DOJ they received my papers. As of today I have two proofs of delivery but nothing from DOJ to verify they have my papers.

They may try to srew me but I can show I did my part. Not quite sure what I can do at this point.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I got my reciept notice that it was recieved on 31 Dec, and have not heard word one back from them yet. Makes me wonder what they are doing up there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I called them and the clerical people, all two of them, are swamped.  The nice lady said they received "A Lot" of big mail bags in December and are wading through them.  Mine took from Dec 18th to Feb 9th.

Don't forget to make a 50% size copy, place it in an oil-proof baggie and insert it into the butt trap or pistol grip trap (if you have one) of your AW.  If you are ever asked for proof of registration, you will have it handy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I sent out Jan 9th overnight mail. US Post office shows confirmation of delivery on website. But nothing from DOJ yet. If I don't see anything in the next two weeks I'm going to start to worry. But I have mailing receipt and all with tracking number.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The DoJ received a large volume from people who waited until and/or the last minute.  There's no way they could have been prepared for that.  The DoJ staff is limited, and they are actually reading the applications.  No doubt every piece of information on those forms is getting manually entered into a database, so their typing errors will be added to applicants' errors.

If you mailed one in in December I wouldn't worry until your daffodils start coming up and you haven't heard yet.  If they find something amiss on your application they WILL call you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Sent mine in on 12-29; haven't heard a thing, nor has my check been cashed. I think the DOJ is massing troops for the confiscation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess im not the only one. hpoefully everything will be ok.Iwould hate to lose my gun when i go fishing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
CA DOJ doesn't have "troops" to mass for confiscation.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2001 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Don't forget to make a 50% size copy, place it in an oil-proof baggie and insert it into the butt trap or pistol grip trap (if you have one) of your AW.  If you are ever asked for proof of registration, you will have it handy.
View Quote

There is no legal requirement to keep proof of registration with the weapon.  LEO can check their computer.  Any LEO who takes the cheezy, easy to forge DOJ confirmation sheet as proof of registration needs to check their department regs.  i.e. they shouldn't ask citizens for proof, their proof comes from their computer!  I guess if some anal shooting ranges want "proof" ofregistration, the paperwork might come in handy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
...I think the DOJ is massing troops for the confiscation.
View Quote

They don't even have enough "troops" to process applications in a timely manner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Aren't we entitled to our $20 back if they do not give any form of response within 30 days???
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#14]

There is no legal requirement to keep proof of registration with the weapon.  LEO can check their computer.
View Quote

And when the computer system is down, they will seize your gun until the registration status is determined. Even if later it is discovered you are legal, depending on the city where this takes place, it could take an act of God for them to release your property back to you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Not an act of God...About $1500 in legal bills to get a court order for them to return the weapon, unless the judge is not "friendly."
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
DaveG,

The DOJ has enough troops to confiscate tons of marijuana from NorCal counties.  There was a show on Discovery Channel (I think) over the weekend that showed DOJ troops finding, chopping, piling, guarding and removing massive quantities of hemp.

I've received my reg paperwork back.  Originally sent 12-12, return-receipt signed on 12-21 (so much for my overnighting money), and received back on 1-25 while letter is dated 1-22.  Since I'm co-reged with family members, I had to fax the cert letters back to the DOJ to correct serial-number typos and make errors between the co-reged letters.  All the reg cards were typed with an IBM Selectric, so it wasn't because they couldn't read the cards.  Double check all your info and contact the DOJFD if you find any errors.  Typos are easy to make, just look at all our posts!

Keeping a copy of the registraton paperwork with the firearm is the intelligent thing to do, if  you want to prevent trouble with LE.  Some presiding-judges in California will not allow the return of any confiscated firearm, regardless of the reason or legality of possession/ownership.  Any owner of an NFA weapon will always have the paperwork with them to avoid problems, and registered AW owners should do the same.
Link Posted: 2/15/2001 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I finally got my papers back and immediately made copies to store in the buttstock of the AR's. Regardless of what others have said or how you feel about having had to register these in the first place, keep a copy in the rifle. It's easy and it's the right thing to do unless, of course, you enjoy hiring lawyers to get your firearms out of police property rooms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2001 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad to see I'm not the only one to get the silent treatment from DOJ. Well, at least I'm still making a wopping 1% interest on that $20 till they cash the check!
Link Posted: 2/17/2001 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine was sent 12/18/00 and received back 2/13/01.  All the info. was correct.  

BTW, I've got milk and cookies set out for the DOJ confiscating hordes, since I'm sure they're gonna be hungry after spending all that time just waiting around the corner to come crashing through my door...
Link Posted: 2/17/2001 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some presiding-judges in California will not allow the return of any confiscated firearm, regardless of the reason or legality of possession/ownership.
View Quote

How exactly do they get away with that?

I think it makes sense to keep the reg papers with the rifle.  In my experience the damn computer systems are always down when you need them anyway.

What does the law say about producing this documentation to LE? Is it presumptive evidence that the rifle is not registered and subject to confiscation if you can't produce it? Computer system records are frequently inaccurate and require verification in many instances.
Link Posted: 2/17/2001 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#21]
ar15patrol,

They declare it a public nuisance and order it destroyed.

f1reverb,

DOJ runs CAMP, but the "troops" are from the CHP, and the local police and sheriff's departments.  The DOJ has investigators, but no real "troops" of their own.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dave G:
ar15patrol,

View Quote

I don't know CA law but there has to be a procedure to have a firearm declared a nuisance and destroyed. Judges can't do anything they want on a whim. States usually return property seized as evidence to it's lawful owner at the conclusion of case unless they have a lawful reason not to.

Where is Steve in VA when you need him?
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Judges can't do anything they want on a whim.
View Quote

In Los Angeles, the judges were confiscating any and all guns received no matter the reason, until a recent ruling.  It's  called "interpreting" the laws.  The owner was left with either legally fighting to obtain the firearm ($$$$$) or letting it go.

This should happen big time with the RR and BS23 laws.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Dave G:
ar15patrol,

View Quote

To me this is bad LEO, bad Judiciary, or both.  I hate to say it, but if this is the case in California, maybe the ACLU can do something to protect the citizens rights.

The registration confirmation form is just a laser printed piece of paper, no embossed seal, no purple ink, NO DOCUMENT SECURITY MEASURES OF ANY KIND!

What we should push for is a way to cross check our registrations, such as a web site where we can confirm "legal" status by entering our AW registraton number and the serial number of a weapon.  The site would come back with a yes or no......

IMHO, an honest and fair LEO will not confiscate your weapon if the computer is down (I'm talking legal weapon configurations, but unable to confirm registration status).  A LEO out to get you will confiscate your weapon NO MATTER WHAT laser printed piece of paper you have on you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#25]
If it was confiscated and you had your papers, could you report it stolen to either the CHP or other state agency? Would the State have to fight for the return of the property? Can you have a judge/officer arrested for robbery(threat of force)? How about reporting it to the USDOJ and tell them your civil rights have been violated?  MWT
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Equal protection under the law DOES NOT apply in kalifornia.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Troy,
Do you have a name or citation for that court case?
Thanks, Ed
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I sent registration form in on 11/16/00 (via Certified) and received my letter on 12/8/00.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
DOJ received mine on 12-27-00.  I have received nothing.  Check still not cashed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 8200 rpm:
DOJ received mine on 12-27-00.  I have received nothing.  Check still not cashed.
View Quote

Not to give you too much worry BUT the DOJ didn't cash my check because they rejected my thumbprint (yeah, I did it myself and it showed).  The second time I sent it in, they cashed my check about 2 weeks after they received it but didn't send the confirmation until about 6 weeks AFTER they cashed the check.

i.e. once they cash your check, its just a matter of time til the data entry folk get to your registration, no worries, BUT if they rejected your registration for thumbprint, incomplete, etc. they won't cash your check and they send the whole thing back to you with a nice rejection letter and explaination of why they rejected you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I got messages from 2 reps and they have tons of mail, they are way back logged. They are just getting to the mid December registrations as I was told. It's just a matter of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top