Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 11:00:45 PM EDT
I have a Benelli M1-S90 Tactical, semi-automatic, pistol grip, 12 ga. I just bought a 4 shot mag extension and a regular rifle stock ($40 ea on auction site). I know I can't legally use the mag extension with the pistol grip here in CA. My question is; is this a CA state law or a federal law? I often go shooting in AZ and NV and was wondering about the legality of the mag extension there.

Thanks,
Shorty
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly certain it's CA. Check the CA-DOJ web site.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 3:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Its Federal, the 94 Federal Crime Bill defines an assault weapon as:
A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:
1. a folding or telescoping stock.
2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
3. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds.
4. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
It falls under the same exemptions for prebans as preban AR15s. (if you can prove it was assembled into an AW before 9/94, you are safe)

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Kharn, I'm glad I asked and didn't just assume it was a stupid CA law.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It's silly, it's debated, no one knows the answer.....

IF you have owned this shotgun before "the ban" and you had an extention tube installed on it before the ban then it would be legal for you to reconfigure it.

If you bought it AFTER the ban and you don't know how it was configured then...it's up to you to make the decision.

IF you know that it was made, ohh say, two years or so before the ban then...it's up to you to make the decision.

Troy makes some very valid points about pre-ban weapons (seach some of the topics in this forum) and I agree with him. I do think that common sense is applicable, ie the gun was made 10 years before the ban then it MAY have been configured in an "assault weapons" style.

In the end it's all up to you.

Link Posted: 6/8/2001 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought it brand new last year, I don't think I could make any reasonable case for it being "preban".   :-)
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its Federal, the 94 Federal Crime Bill defines an assault weapon as:
A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:
1. a folding or telescoping stock.
2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
3. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds.
4. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
It falls under the same exemptions for prebans as preban AR15s. (if you can prove it was assembled into an AW before 9/94, you are safe)

Kharn
View Quote

How can they sell those mossberg persuador 500 series shotguns down here in FL w/ a pistol grip and 8 rd capacity? I see them at all the gun shows..
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How can they sell those mossberg persuador 500 series shotguns down here in FL w/ a pistol grip and 8 rd capacity? I see them at all the gun shows..
View Quote

Unless someone has a prototype model I am not aware of, Mossberg doesn't make nor sell semi-auto.  The rule applies to semi-auto.
[url]www.mossberg.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I completely misread that post :]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Lose the pistol grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top