Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 8:19:02 AM EDT
I was checking out HK91.com and a few guys there were saying something about a new law in California to ban HK and FAL clones within a year.

Here is the link:
[url]http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum2/HTML/001519.html[/url]

Anybody know if this is true?????
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
No new law would be required for the CA AG to ban any kind of firearm he decides to ban.  Under the provisions of the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 the law includes an expandable list of forbidden firearms.  Since AR-15 and AK "Series" arms are now banned, all he would have to do would be to add HK91 and FAL "Series" to the list.

I expect him to add those plus the Ruger Mini-14 and any other centerfire semiauto that takes detachable magazines.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldnt doubt it.They can make an ineffective gun law but cant work out the eletricty problems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hitman,

I know your are more concerned about HK91 FAL clones, but Kalifornia is ALWAYS discussing new gun laws.  There are currently 12 new gun laws in various places in the legislative process.  The only reason there aren't more is the legislature is caught up in a finger pointing game regarding the "power crises", i.e. not enough power plants in the state to supply enough power to meet demand.

I have found the California Rifle & Pistol Association to be an excellent resource for both proposed legislation and existing litigation against the State.

Here is a sample of the 12 new bills:

AB22
Prohibit local governments from issuing business licenses to firearm dealers at a residential address.

AB35
Require handgun buyers to first obtain a handgun owners/safety license.

AB77
Make illegal any firearm that looks like a cell phone (even though this is already banned under an existing law banning firearms that appear to be something else).

AB324
Increase fees for firearms dealers to $250.

AB566
Establish an "assault weapons" buy-back program.

AB1188
Extend a pilot program to reduce firearm related crime in Fresno and Los Angeles counties.

AB1219
Make illegal for a firearms dealer to sell any handgun manufactured after 1/1/04 that does not have "smart gun" technology. [whatever the hell that is]

SB9
Increase penalties for "criminal storage" of a handgun that results in a child obtaining a handgun and taking it to school.

SB510
Require any semiautomatic firearm sold to anyone beginning 1/1/03 to have a loaded chamber indicator.

SB626
Modify the existing law banning ammunition magizines that hold more than 10 rounds to be more inclusive.

SB652
Increase penalties for illegal transfer of a handgun to a minor.

SB 950
Increase information dissemination of persons owning "assault weapons" if they commit certain crimes, regardless if they used a firearm or not.

A lot of this reads straight out of the HCI script.  For all you lucky people outside of the PRK, DON'T think it can't happen to you.  It's creeping in at the edges.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hitman,

Just out of general interest, why are you concerned about HK91 and FAL clones.  Unless you did some significant modification to your firearms or you have stripped receivers, wouldn't you have had to register these under BS23?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hitman,

Just out of general interest, why are you concerned about HK91 and FAL clones.  Unless you did some significant modification to your firearms or you have stripped receivers, wouldn't you have had to register these under BS23?
View Quote

Not just me. Lots of folks that didn't want to register their rifles took off the AW features.  But if they specifically name them in this proposed law like the AR and AKs then those that didn't want to register by legally removing the features will have no choice but register them now.

The good thing to that is at least you can put those AW features back on after registering them from what I read on the HK91 board.

HK91 and FAL recievers and complete guns (minus of course the pistol grip and other AW features) are still being sold in CA. I just checked DSA's web site. If this does go through then those that still want to get one better do so in a hurry.

Damn poilitics...
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#7]
...Lots of folks that didn't want to register their rifles took off the AW features.  But if they specifically name them in this proposed law like the AR and AKs then those that didn't want to register by legally removing the features will have no choice but register them now.

The good thing to that is at least you can put those AW features back on after registering them from what I read on the HK91 board.

HK91 and FAL recievers and complete guns (minus of course the pistol grip and other AW features) are still being sold in CA. I just checked DSA's web site. If this does go through then those that still want to get one better do so in a hurry.

Damn poilitics...
View Quote

Again, it's NOT a "proposed law".  All it takes is the AG adding things to The List.

I hear you on the pseudo-benefits of having something you already own declared an "AW".  I have a pre-ban Ruger Mini-14.  It was in a Butler Creek folding stock (with pistol grip) from the time I bought it (1988) until I put the standard stock back on last December to avoid registering it.  If it gets declared an "AW" I'll probably put the folding stock back on and get the muzzle threaded so I can add a muzzle break.

But that's kind of like admiring the view as your airplane is crashing in the desert.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I think its all gun laws being cussed in Kali
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand selling HK91 clone receivers, but who is still selling complete HK91 clones minus the pistol grip.  Isn't the grip frame one metal piece?  Wouldn't you have to cut the grip support (the piece on which the plastic grip mounts) off of the frame and trigger guard?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
AB566

g thats where that Registraion list comes in
u get a nice (read nasty) letter in the mail
Turn in you AW for 50 bucks or else
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AB566

g thats where that Registraion list comes in
u get a nice (read nasty) letter in the mail
Turn in you AW for 50 bucks or else
View Quote

If they try to pull that one, most of the registered "AWs" will either get lost or moved out of the state.

I know that all of mine will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top