Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2001 3:15:47 PM EDT
If I sell my Colt M4 I thought I read I can UPS it myself to the buyers FFL (After I receive their inked copy) or do I have to go through an FFL here?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
legally you can send it TO an FFL.  Some dealers choose only to receive shipments from other FFLs - so if you want to send it to one of those, it'll have to come from a local FFL or they're likely to refuse the shipment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
You might have to give the UPS folks a copy of the FFL before they will accept the rifle for shipment. Call them and ask.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't call UPS. They are ignorant of their own policies and the story changes whith who you talk to. I'd recommend to look at their website first if you are concerned about it.

I have shipped several guns through UPS and fedex with no problem. They could care less if there even is a gun in the box or who you send it to. They have never asked me for a copy of the FFL I was sending it to, and I have shipped 3 out of state.

But, yes, if it is out of state you are legally required to send it to an FFL of whome you have an inked copy of it. UPS won't want it but it's a CYA thing. If it is within your own state you can consider it a private sale and don't need an FFL intervention.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW, what type of Colt M4 and how much [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTW, what type of Colt M4 and how much [;)]
View Quote

Sp1 lower w/ M4 upper all colt.
All colt (bolt M4 stock etc)
I was just considering putting it on gunbroker b/c someone has an oly M4 up to like 1700 now
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
M4Guy - only dealers have to have an ink-signed copy.  Private shippers just need to verify (usually through the ATF FFL EZ-check website) that the receiver is a licensee before shipping interstate.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
If you do ship via UPS, or whoever, make sure that you put insurance on it.

Too many horror stories about things getting lost during shipping, especially firearms.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
You can ship from a UPS customer counter.  If they give you a problem, tell them to check item 425 of their tariff. It is on page 4 and covers shipment of firearms and ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
When I am living in VA can I have someone mail the gun to me from FL w/o an FFL involved?
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Circuits, I have always asked and gotten an ink-signed copy of the FFL, just to cover my own ass should anything go wrong. I didn't even know the ATF had an FFL ez-check website, I will have to look into that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You can ship it to yourself, in care of another person, provided that person is not prohibited from possessing the firearm, and you let them know to set it aside and not open it until you get there.

I'm not sure that having someone else ship your firearms to you, when you're in a different state, has been addressed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I am living in VA can I have someone mail the gun to me from FL w/o an FFL involved?
View Quote

Holy crap, $1700 for an OLY!?!?! Man, and to think I was selling them for less than $1200.

To receive a gun from FL you are supposed to have it shipped to a local FFL, who I believe is supposed to NICS you before turning it over, and most places unless you are pals might want a few bucks just for having to go through them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can ship it to yourself, in care of another person, provided that person is not prohibited from possessing the firearm, and you let them know to set it aside and not open it until you get there.

I'm not sure that having someone else ship your firearms to you, when you're in a different state, has been addressed.
View Quote

You can ship a firearm to yourself in another state for any lawful purpose providing that there is no local or state law prohibiting it on either end.

You do not have to use  a common carrier to ship a long gun. You can use the USPS. A handgun must be shipped by a common carrier.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
From the ATF Site

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her
own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common
or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not
transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State.
The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail
and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the
contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her
own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be
notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package
indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31]
(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting
or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of
another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any
other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons
other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the
firearm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Handguns may be shipped and received via the U.S. Mails (USPS) by, and only by, valid FFL holders (have done this many times). A copy of the recipient's VALID ink-signed FFL is required to be furnished to the shipper REGARDLESS if he is a dealer or not. The "E-Z Check" sytem on the BATF's website has only been available for a few months and is intended to be an independent verification of a suspected FFL forgery according to my letter from the BATF that announced this. I live in the Oklahoma City area and am THOUROUGHLY FED UP WITH UPS!!!!! The current manager of the local UPS service center is vociferously anti-gun. Since mid-1999, all of the declared firearm packages are opened and inspected at the counter. They do a really super job of repacking them (sarcasm). I've told my last few buyers to turn in insurance claims (treat me like an outlaw and I'll act like one). I've attempted to seek an explanation from the local manager, but have received answers like "We've ALWAYS done that," to which I reply, "Well, I've done business with this counter since early '94 and it's only been since mid-'99 that this has occurred," and the little wormy manager replies, "Oh yeah, that's right." At any rate, you get the picture; lousy service and insulting to your intelligence (many other gun related businesses and hobbyists in the area have gotten the same run around and are fed up, too). Out of the hundreds of packages that I've sent and received over the past several years, the only ones that have been lost, mis-delivered, damaged, or pilfered were UPS handled packages. Federal Express has a ground service that is competitive to what UPS charges. I would advise non-licensees to use USPS for your long guns and Federal Express for handguns and hazardous materials (powder and primers). Give UPS the shove off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
See section C024.1.3, specifically C024.1.3-C024.1.7 of the Domestic Mail Manual for Postal regulations concerning the shipment of handguns through the U.S. Mails. A HELLUVA LOT easier to deal with than UPS (I never thought that I would be hawking the Postal Service).
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:22:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Fedex service is Top Notch, at least the local people I have dealt with.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From the ATF Site
May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any
other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the
firearm.
View Quote

Ok...now so if I understand this right, when I moved from Boston to Phoenix I could have shipped my guns to myself without going through an FFL?
Damn I would have saved about $350 If I had known that.

John
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jim Dandy:
A copy of the recipient's VALID ink-signed FFL is required to be furnished to the shipper REGARDLESS if he is a dealer or not.
View Quote

Got a regulation cite or just pull that one out of thin air?  The reg book clearly states that dealers must have an ink signed copy, but does not address (that I've ever seen) any such requirement for non-licensees shipping to licensees.

I must have missed it - please direct me to your source.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#20]
No, I just make things up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top