Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2001 4:28:33 PM EDT
Hello!

I am considering getting another residence or possibly even storage in another state. I would like to know if it is legal to purchase firearms in other states if I only intend to keep the firearm in THAT STATE. My reasons are that I would like to make other firearms purchases but I CANNOT bring these firearms into my current home state (California).  

Would this be legal?
E.g.- Purchase and store firearms in Arizona or Nevada.
Link Posted: 4/22/2001 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody????

Link Posted: 4/22/2001 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!!!! I figured someone had to know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
However, if you are a legal, partial-year resident in more than one state, you can legally purchase firearms in another state, during the time you are resident in that state, without regard to the laws in your other states of residence.

If you live in, say, california, but have a vacation home in, say, nevada.  During the period you are in residence at your nevada home, you may purchase firearms in nevada as a nevada resident.  

If the weapons would be illegal to bring into california, you'd have to leave them in Nevada.  

Similarly, if you bring your guns back with you when changing your residency back to california, you'd need to register them if that was required by california law.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
We need an ar15.com group vacation home buy for all CA members so we can get the good stuff!

Any takers?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By operator error:
We need an ar15.com group vacation home buy for all CA members so we can get the good stuff!

Any takers?
View Quote

I like that idea!!

Lets see.....

Some more AR's, A Bushmaster M17s, some HK G3's, another SLR-95 [or equivalent], and ........

What about a group land purchase as well...
Houses and a range as well!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I know you think I'm pulling your leg, but this could work.

Get a handful (or two) of ar15.com members, find some cheap piece of property, draw up the legal paperwork, get a loan, and do it.

It could be some shack in the middle of nowhere. As long as it had a mailing address, and a place to attach a safe to, I think it could work.

There are ways to make group purchases of homes/property so nobody gets burned (I think).

My wife likes the idea!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually,
I'm serious too! I had a similar idea after a co-worker of mine purchased some land in Arizona. I've been trying to get him to remember to bring the info and real estate agents name for me.

What he bought was this. It was some land, formerly a ranch, as they scale back/shut down more and more of the land is available.

He says he paid $20,000 for a 20 Acre section (1/3 of a mile). His payments were two-hunderd something per month for a 10 year mortgage.

He says he has found deer tracks on the land. he was told that he couldn't fence it in yet due to grazing and the deer, etc.

Hopefully, I can get him to remember to bring the info. I'll have to keep buggung him about it.

From what he has told me, the utilities are not there yet but electricity is about a mile or so away from his plot.

I thought wow, this seems like a good deal.
Other things that he says is that due to legislation in AZ they cannot just build anywhere and everywhere [I have to check for myself] this area would still be away from the metropolitan areas.

If I find out more i'll try to keep you posted.

Also, if you find out anything BE SURE to keep me posted!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
misterhemi,

I'll keep my ear to the ground, and my eyes open. I really like this idea!

Hey, look. My 99th post! Man, that was fast!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By operator error:
misterhemi,

I'll keep my ear to the ground, and my eyes open. I really like this idea!
View Quote

SAME HERE!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheap way to go is Time Share. Get 4 partys together and share a condo in Scottsdale. Maybe call TrendWest time shares?

4 phone lines so that you are paying utilities. Get AZ state ID to do gun purchases with. Register to vote in AZ. Claim AZ residency on state income tax. Use CA as a second home for tax purposes.

Just an Idea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmmm.... Good idea LordTrader!

Thanx!

The more options the better and the greater the chance of success.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Lordtrader,

You, sir, are a genius! But we gotta check on all the legalities of all this. Sounds very feasible!

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I've been wondering how to do something like this, but doing it on my own is not something I'm financially ready for at this time. One concern I'd have, though, would be safety of guns when owners are away. While I'd insist on a good safe, perhaps an added security measure would be to have someone trustworthy (bonded?) actually living there full-time. Or maybe rent a room from someone in Nevada or Arizona. Just a thought. I'm eager to hear if anything becomes of this, even if I do hate the idea of having to travel to see my toys. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Almost forgot: Front Sight (www.frontsight.com) has an offer to store "assault weapons" especially for Californians. I think the deal is if you buy a two-day class for the usual $500, then you can store up to three guns in their secure facility outside of Pahrump, NV, for a year. That's certainly cheaper than buying a time-share, at least in the short run, isn't it? [?]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
kato4moto,

Yeah, that's fine for storage. I'm looking at purchase! I want to buy more! I want to be able to buy more ARs'. I want a Galil! And an Uzi! More AKs'. And a whole bunch of other stuff I can't get in CA anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Troy,

Don't try and talk logic here. I'm obsessed!
I need them, I want them, I've got to have them!

Dang, I hate when reality rears its' ugly head.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Lordtrader's correct, but I would add that if your job is in CA you will have to pay CA state income taxes.

The timeshare is a good idea. In fact, it would be great to split a cabin on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. It would be nice to have it just for vacations. Of course, we're talking high six figures.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Once again, BTT.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Too many Liberals from California have already moved to Arizona and are ruining everything for us.  Attempting to ban Gun show sales by private parties without background checks. Attempting to limit roads and housing even on private property due to snails, spotted owls and minnows.  We don't need no stinking owls and Liberals who eat nothing but Tofu and veggies from Kalifornia need not apply.  Now if you are a gun-loving, meat eating, pickup driving, Conservative or a good looking woman who has a pick-up and an AR ....Come on over.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, I'm gun toting, meat eating (Dr. Atkins is one cool dude), Conservative Libertarian...

The only thing is that I don't have a pickup.  I've got a Jeep Cherokee.  Does that count?  (No, not the yuppified Grand Cherokee, the traditional Sport LE).  

Now I gotta do is find a nice better paying job than what I have now... one with a moving allowance, and stuff like that!  Woohoo!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
A conservative Libertarian?  Wouldn't that be like soneone who reads the bible while they are doing thier legalized drugs?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
By the way, if you California gunowners want to put up the money, I will be willing to live on the property and guard your guns.  A nice vault with a built in safe type door to store the firearms with a humidity controlled environment will have to be included in the building.  I already own a house with a range just down the road 2 1/2 miles but I can probably rent that out.  Actually , the range down the road is $52.00 a year for law enforcement membership or the same for any organization which has 12 members join.  It's nice to live where you can still own a firearm, carry a firearm on your hip, and get a concealed carry permit.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey locked&loaded,

Not entirely a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, it would not be legal for a Kalifornia resident to purchase a firearm in another state if that firearm couldn't be legally purchased in Kalifornia.

By federal law, you can only buy handguns in your state of residence.  You can buy long guns in any state as long as the purchase is legal in BOTH the state you're in AND your home state.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy, What USC section is that under about buying long guns if it is legal only in your home state? I'd just like to read it. What about California folks can own AR's and store them out of state, presumably so they are not registered with PRK? That means a KA legal resident owns a long gun in a state which they don't live in. [%|]

All this is making my brain hurt [BD]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
PART 178--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

§178.96 Out-of-State and mail order sales.

(c)(1) A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer may sell or
deliver a rifle or shotgun, and a licensed collector may sell or deliver a rifle or
shotgun that is a curio or relic to a nonlicensed resident of a State other than the
State in which the licensee's place of business is located if--

(i) The purchaser meets with the licensee in person at the licensee's premises to
accomplish the transfer, sale, and delivery of the rifle or shotgun;

(ii) The licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer complies
with the provisions of Sec. 178.102;

(iii) The purchaser furnishes to the licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or
licensed dealer the firearms transaction record, Form 4473, required by Sec.
178.124; and

[b](iv) The sale, delivery, and receipt of the rifle or shotgun fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States.

(2) For purposes of paragraph (c) of this section, any licensed manufacturer,
licensed importer, or licensed dealer is presumed, in the absence of evidence to the
contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances
of both such States.[/b]

(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1512-0130)
[33 FR 18555, Dec. 14, 1968. Redesignated at 40 FR 16835, Apr. 15, 1975, and amended by T.D. ATF-48,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top