BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
See, you draw closer to God by suffering, just like Jesus suffered.  
So just lay there in your own filth, and no, we don't have any doctors here, because Jesus didn't have one.
Don't you feel closer to Him?  Now die already.  

Get it?  Me neither.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I had the privledge to meet her and shake her hand when I was in 5th grade (and she was shorter than me).  To this day it is the greatest honor of my life and I've met Pope John Paul II, two presidents, and countless congress-critters and senators.

That woman simply exuded goodness and peace.  A true Saint on earth.

No one that thinks the poor deserve to be that way as punishment for their "sins", or who keeps children sent to her in conditions that were little better than slavery, is a "true Saint on Earth".

She was an evil person who sold a bill of goods to people looking for a cause.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So just lay there in your own filth, and no, we don't have any doctors here, because Jesus didn't have one.

Get it?  Me neither.

Dude, WTF?

That avatar needs to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people really have nothing better to do....

It is like saying happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. Yes I'm not catholic or christian (my parents are) but I say merry Christmas to everybody on Dec 25th and I don't mind someone saying merry Christmas to me. It is just what it is.... no one who is saying merry Christmas to you on Dec 25th is meaning harm to you. If you are offended by someone saying merry Christmas to you, go freaking work.

I don't believe in religion but that is my own thing, as long as you don't tell me I have to believe in something I don't care what you do.

Besides, regardless of religion, a person should be recognized for all the sacrifices made - and this is a good way to commemorate that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get it?  Me neither.

Dude, WTF?

That avatar needs to go.
What is with the new guys barking orders?

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hitchens wrote a book on it - was REALLY interesting

Dude, forming opinion on anything about religion based on Hitchen's writings is exactly the same thing as using Brady and VPC for firearm information.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get it?  Me neither.

Yeah- that isn't what happened - but stay classy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Get it?  Me neither.

Dude, WTF?

That avatar needs to go.
What is with the new guys barking orders?

I can't be the only guy around here that thinks an avatar that features a cat with an arrow through its head is an inappropriate avatar.

It's not up to me to force him to change it though, so I can only comment that it sucks and is in poor taste.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can't be the only guy around here that thinks an avatar that features a cat with an arrow through its head is an inappropriate avatar.

It's not up to me to force him to change it though, so I can only comment that it sucks and is in poor taste.

I think it's funny, personally.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's funny, personally.  

I think the dog loving folks would frown on an avatar that features a dog with an arrow through it's head.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think the dog loving folks would frown on an avatar that features a dog with an arrow through it's head.
Oh, I don't doubt it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hitchens wrote a book on it - was REALLY interesting

Dude, forming opinion on anything about religion based on Hitchen's writings is exactly the same thing as using Brady and VPC for firearm information.

The truth is the truth, no matter who the messenger is

ETA: for the record I don't care who they put on stamps
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I have some Chistmas stamps around here someplce.  They have a picture of Mother Mary on them.  What's the diff?  If you don't want to buy them = don't buy them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't care who they put on stamps, and I'm a dedicated atheist.

I can't remember the last time I bought stamps that had a person on them. I always buy the American flag ones.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Theology through suffering"

She was not as saintly as people make her out to be.

Were you a member of her entourage?

How many sick people have you visited?

Ohh really? now stfu

No, nor did I ever claim to any of that.  Nor do I deny people proper medical attention in the name of my religion.

She visited them though, so I guess that makes her awesome.

For the record, I could care less about a stamp, however I don't have to agree with the reasoning behind putting her on one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Don't these idiots have better things to do like chip the crosses off Arlington headstones?

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Atheist are as bad if not worse than Homosexuals

They both need to get a life

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Around here, the gay-fawning threads and the religion-bashing threads attract the same crowd.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well spoken.  It was getting old anyways, so I changed it.  Better?

Back on topic, you may find my opinion as odious as my old avatar, and in time it too may change, but I find nothing admirable about the woman in question.  

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."  - 'Mother' Teresa

If you haven't read Hitchens' book Missionary Position, you should.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well spoken.  It was getting old anyways, so I changed it.  Better?

Back on topic, you may find my opinion as odious as my old avatar, and in time it too may change, but I find nothing admirable about the woman in question.  

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."  - 'Mother' Teresa

If you haven't read Hitchens' book Missionary Position, you should.

And that single sentence displays your incredible, poisoned myopia.

Run along now... you've said your piece.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Half her life spent ministering to poor, sick and dying.

No good deed goes unpunished

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#23]
You know OP, this is the first time I think I've ever agreed with you.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of them are like that
They think it shows how much smarter they are
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes, god forbid anyone think even slightly differently than your pastor.

Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
This has nothing to do with atheism.  It has to do with people who live to obsess over trivial bullshit and invent nonsense to worry about.  The fact that this particular dumbass-without-a-life is also an atheist...and therefor picks atheism-based crap to fret over...is quite irrelevant.  There are at least as many non-atheistic busy-bodies out there, and the two are just different sides of the same pathetic coin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with atheism. It has to do with people who live to obsess over trivial bullshit and invent nonsense to worry about.  The fact that this particular dumbass-without-a-life is also an atheist...and therefor picks atheism-based crap to fret over...is quite irrelevant.  There are at least as many non-atheistic busy-bodies out there, and the two are just different sides of the same pathetic coin.

Well... this case does, but otherwise you're right... you can find people like this all over the place.

Some people are just basically unhappy, meddlesome, miserable bastards.  They live to be offended, and vent their pain on the rest of the world.

Anyone who has ever dealt with the general public has met one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with atheism. It has to do with people who live to obsess over trivial bullshit and invent nonsense to worry about.  The fact that this particular dumbass-without-a-life is also an atheist...and therefor picks atheism-based crap to fret over...is quite irrelevant.  There are at least as many non-atheistic busy-bodies out there, and the two are just different sides of the same pathetic coin.

Well... this case does, but otherwise you're right... you can find people like this all over the place.

Some people are just basically unhappy, meddlesome, miserable bastards.  They live to be offended, and vent their pain on the rest of the world.

Anyone who has ever dealt with the general public has met one.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.  It only has to do with atheism in a tangential sense.  The root issue is the busy-budy principle.  It just happens to be an atheist who's manifesting it in this case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Within Catholicism (and Christianity in general), suffering does have something of a scared place - being mentioned in the beatitudes, but more importantly Christ suffered and died for our redemption.  II would not go so far to say that Catholics glorify suffering, but recognize it can draw people more deeply into their faith.  Catholics (more than most other Christians) alsoremember that  there would have been no Easter Sunday without Good Friday.

Anyway your insults are not against Mother Theresa, but against Catholicism in specific, and Christianity in general.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Within Catholicism (and Christianity in general), suffering does have something of a scared place - being mentioned in the beatitudes, but more importantly Christ suffered and died for our redemption. II would not go so far to say that Catholics glorify suffering, but recognize it can draw people more deeply into their faith. Catholics (more than most other Christians) alsoremember that there would have been no Easter Sunday without Good Friday.

Anyway your insults are not against Mother Theresa, but against Catholicism in specific, and Christianity in general.

Eh, I watched the Penn and Teller video posted earlier.  I rank P/T on par with Michael Moore when it comes to journalistic integrity, but the video is telling.  Mother Theresa herself has made statements in the past indicating that she doesn't put any real special emphasis on the uniqueness of Christ.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top