In some areas of D.C. its required.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

are you bashing cops?

Seems more like pelting then bashing.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Isolated ....... awwww fuckit , nevermind........
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
are you bashing cops?

There's a couple off hand that I can think of that I'd like to bash with a snowball!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, throwing anything at a cop is kind of a Darwinian move in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Local news just showed footage of a D.C. cop who was telling people to stop throwing snowballs ... WITH HIS HANDGUN DRAWN.  

It's either hilarious or disturbing.  I'm undecided so far.  

Go with hilariously disturbing. Must be a Barry hire...

Having friends with local NoVA pd's I can tell you that DC cops are, to a large extent, considered to be the bottom of the barrel.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#10]
What network? Post a a video.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
are you bashing cops?

Seems more like pelting then bashing.

I would go with "mocking".
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it ok to throw snowballs at our congressmen?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only if they're yellow!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes as long as you have a rock in the center and properly soaked.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
are you bashing cops?

Not cops, but maybe that guy.

I'm guessing that he is probably going to wish there hadn't been cameras when his boss sees him on the news, gun drawn against the snowballers.     Of course, for all I know, someone threw a snowball with a rock in it at him and almost killed him.

slush balls hurt like hell...if I was a cop and got in the face with one...can't promise I wouldn't draw either ;)

Wouldn't that be considered assaulting a police officer? I mean...not a normal snowball...but a slush ball...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Were they charged with felonious assault on an officer?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Pretty much goes without saying
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#18]
No dogs were shot?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]
In before the video of the college kid getting arrested for throwing skittles or M&Ms or whatever they were at the cops.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Aren't snowballs frangible?  Have they outlawed frangible ammuntion yet?  Can they ban it when it falls from the sky?  (Wait, its congress, of course they can...)

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
A rock can be a lethal weapon.  It doesn't take much brains to conceal a rock inside a snowball.  I've had them thrown at me growing up.  

I don't blame the cops for drawing their weapons.  It is absolutely stupid on a Darwinian level to throw things at an armed man.  

ETA: assaulting a LEO is assaulting a LEO.  Doesn't matter if it is done with fists, saliva, a snowball, or even candy.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread needs moar video.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Interesting to see a few more facts about what exactly happened...

Quoted:
Quoted:
are you bashing cops?

Not cops, but maybe that guy.

I'm guessing that he is probably going to wish there hadn't been cameras when his boss sees him on the news, gun drawn against the snowballers.     Of course, for all I know, someone threw a snowball with a rock in it at him and almost killed him.

"Bashing cops?"  You're kiddding, right?  Is this that Marxist/Feminist knee-jerk reaction where anything other than groveling at the feet of our Overlords is considered "bashing"?  

I respectfully disagree that critiquing the actions of Public Defenders of the Peace is outright "bashing."  "Bashing" is saying "all cops are pigs" or "baby killers" or whatever with no attention to the details of a case, which is clearly NOT true, and not the case here.

I can see several angles.  

If the folks throwing them were disturbing the peace or threatening limb, like throwing them with dangerous additives (rocks, etc), then the officer was 100% in their right.  Especially when the People relinquished their defense by failure to obey a lawful request by a peace officer, especially when it does not appear to have threatened any Freedoms (like carrying a gun, or peacable assembly, etc).  I mean what about having a little respect for authority?

On another side, the plummeting levels of testosterone required to be a cop nowadays is just enough to make one shiver while crying and make you wonder about some of the things we see.

I mean a felony for throwing a snowball? (assuming it was not laden with additives).  Some of the charges that can be filed against people are somewhat troubling.

I remember a popular video of a Trooper from a southern state where some weenie in a red SUV was shrieking like a bitch about a speeding ticket.  This Trooper was like the Incredible Hulk, with arms thicker than my  legs, and that Trooper was clearly unthreatened by that little doofus.  Now that was testosterone-laden manhood.  Clearly vigilant, but at the same time not threatened.

I was a cop in Texas and saw firsthand how dropping the standards so the dearies could pass really had an effect on the males passing.  You get these scaredy-cats who draw and fire their weapons at the drop of a pin, and had to go around abusing their power to reassure themselves what real hero manly men they were.  Failing to realize that moral courage is a much rarer quality than rote physical courage.

So it appears there are like 40 different angles on this episode, none of them really reassuring.  A humorous but sad commentary on things all around, from all angles.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
So the cops are scared of a snowball? Sad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]
snow balls vs moving vehicle= throwing missles at moving vehicle= Felony in VA. then again crack=felony in VA and its dman near leagal in DC. Mayor Barry said so.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL, nice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if they're yellow!

well, we know the congress men are yellow, so you must be talking about the snow balls.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Local news just showed footage of a D.C. cop who was telling people to stop throwing snowballs ... WITH HIS HANDGUN DRAWN.  

It's either hilarious or disturbing.  I'm undecided so far.  

Be funnier if cop was throwing snowballs back!!!!!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What network? Post a a video.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1209/689050.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I just made this one:

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a good thing that snowballs aren't black or they would be calling them assault snowballs, then they would try to impose a ban on snow balls.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a good thing that snowballs aren't black or they would be calling them assault snowballs, then they would try to impose a ban on snow balls.

Actually, snowballs are racist because they are all white.  I'm surprised the NAACP hasn't filed suit against God yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe one of them made a furtive movement.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Got to respect their authoriteh!

Seriously, there was a very similar incident a while back where some punks were throwing snowballs, and the Brave First Responders popped a cap in their punk asses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Massacre

That's how these things get started.  Some dumb-ass with a penis deficiency overreacts, and next thing, there's a revolution.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Just watching the news. The DC PD is promising a thorough investigation into the cop snowball throwdown. Now they're saying the reason was someone called in a man-with-gun that later turned out to be a plainclothes cop. See the link above...
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if they're yellow!

Most of our congressmen are yellow
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Usually throwing crap at moving cars is a crime. Some people have no respect for the safety of those who might be in the way of a 3,000lb impact weapon.

ETA: Watched the video. A car out of control on that intersection, on a snow-covered road, with over 200 people crowding around could have been a disaster. Someone should have thought through the "let's have a massive snowball fight on a traveled interestion" idea a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just watching the news. The DC PD is promising a thorough investigation into the cop snowball throwdown. Now they're saying the reason was someone called in a man-with-gun that later turned out to be an plainclothes cop.

Yep, that's what I just saw as well.  

Plainclothes cop never should have drawn a gun to start with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw the story. Looks like there was an off duty rolling in his hummer and he drove through an area where twitter organized snow ball fight was taking place in NW DC. His H2 got hit and he jumped out trying to be a bad ass and waved his gat yo. Drama ensued.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#45]

I've seen local cops join in snowball fights.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#46]
The public street is not a place to have a FUN SNOWBALL FIGHT (and, it was advertised on the Internet).  

Jeez.........get a permit to use the streets for a "Street Party."

So........I could imagine that the cop probably got out of his vehicle and made an announcement for the crowd to disburse.  Then, someone probably thought it was fun to snowball the cop and his vehicle.   Humm...........a cop arrives to break up your fun and you "assault" the cop with a snowball (but some of you can't see the justification for a gun being drawn).   Isn't assault on a cop usually a FELONY?   OK.......maybe "assault" is kind of a strong word to use in this context (after the fact).   But whatever actually happened............hey, I can't always believe the media to get these things right.  Besides, the news media will spin it in whatever way they want to.

So, in the end the cop(s) will have to justify his/their actions.  

But, what will the crowd learn?

Probably that it's OK to pelt the cops with snowballs...........after all, it was only in "FUN."  (Shaking head from side to side).  Jeez........THAT, would be STUPID.

But, Washington DC is full of that.

Aloha, Mark

PS..............I remember a time when I responded to a disorderly party call late at night.  My fellow officers and I tried to have the party disburse peacefully. I was rewarded with a rock slamming into my car (I was standing in front of it) and many more were directed at me, the other police cars and officers.

BTW...........most Police Officers in Hawaii use their own pvt vehicle as police cars (they get a supplement to their pay for doing so).

Anyway, no guns were drawn (that I know of).  But, that was a personal choice by each officer at the scene.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Must...resist....urge to make joke about Danish police.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Boston Masacre MPD style, you'd think a detective could detect that snowballs don't hurt automobiles!  Really didn't see why any guns needed to be drawn.  Cops can be fucking clownshoes sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Ah, DC's finest.  Shit with badges.

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#50]
if you don't think we are hurdling toward a police state, then just ponder the idea of police officers with their weapons drawn confronting citizens armed with balls of frozen water.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top