BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2009 5:23:18 PM EDT
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=11683078

http://www.adn.com/news/military/story/1057175.html

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/12/ap_cg_hearing_hamilton_121509/

Coast Guard sex charge hearing starts

31 CHARGES: Former sector leader could face court-martial.

Published: December 15th, 2009 10:34 PM

Last Modified: December 17th, 2009 07:59 AM

The investigative hearing into a U.S. Coast Guard captain accused of having multiple sexual affairs began in Anchorage on Tuesday.

Click to enlarge

Coast Guard Capt. Mark Hamilton attended a meeting in Anchorage April 2, 2009.

Capt. Herbert "Mark" Hamilton is accused of conduct unbecoming an officer, including having relationships with enlisted personnel.

He is also accused of fraud and failing to obey orders. There are 31 charges in total, all alleging violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Most of them specify acts with specific women.

Hamilton, 48, was the commander of Sector Anchorage before the charges surfaced in the spring. According to court testimony, he is married and has several adult children. His wife of more than 20 years was asked to testify but declined the offer, according to one of the government's prosecutors.

The hearing that began Tuesday at Fort Richardson is expected to last several days. When completed, the investigating officer, Capt. Steve Anderson, a Coast Guard lawyer, will write a recommendation report to the superior officers. His options range from dropping the charges altogether to recommending a court-martial, which could result in a prison sentence.

The procedure is similar to a civilian grand jury, said Coast Guard lawyer Lt. Cmdr. Greg Versaw, who is not involved in the case. The difference is Hamilton has a right to cross-examine witnesses and present his own witnesses and version of events. Another difference is that instead of jurors deciding, it is a senior Coast Guardsman –– in this case Anderson –– who decides whether he thinks there is enough evidence to proceed.

It was not clear whether the enlisted women involved in the charges against Hamilton also face punishment.

Hamilton is also accused of conducting his affairs using government-issued equipment, such as texting his lovers on a Coast Guard phone.

"What did (Hamilton) mean by that?" Dwyer asked.

"That means exactly what we are doing right now could happen," she said. "That I could end up sitting right here."

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid to throw away a career like that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Idiots everywhere, sadly. No service or place is exempt
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sux2bhim
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
That won't buff out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pimpin' ain't easy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Please cue "Women of the Coast Guard."
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Dumbass!  All email and texting is like a fucking postcard!  It is somewhere out there in the ether...on a somebody's server, just waiting for scrutiny.

He's got enough charges to sink him several times over.

He is so fucked...
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder if he'll end up in Leavenworth?

I feel bad for his family as his retirement is shot.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
In reading the report, I can only conclude that this guy really likes anal sex.

Why the hell would you send dirty text messages on your military phone?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would venture to guess that this isn't the first or second time that he has done this.

If you were to dig into his past, I'd bet you'd find a bevy of young impressionable lasses in his wake.

Dumbass.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]

A sad day for the Coast guard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unless the Coast Guard REALLY has it out for him, he'll be reprimanded and shown the door.

I don't think his retirement is in jeopardy....just his dignity...and the respect of his family.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Will any of the women face charges?

You can't break some of those rules alone you know...

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless the Coast Guard REALLY has it out for him, he'll be reprimanded and shown the door.

I don't think his retirement is in jeopardy....just his dignity...and the respect of his family.

It is not about having it out for him. The Coastguard will evaluate what he did and I trust that they will make the right call.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not about having it out for him. The Coastguard will evaluate what he did and I trust that they will make the right call.

Senior officers don't do hard time.

They get their careers mangled and forced retirement.  '

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They get their careers mangled and forced retirement. '

Don't be to sure about that, I think this case could lead to him serving some jail time.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be to sure about that, I think this case could lead to him serving some jail time.

I seriously doubt that.

J. Reno
USN (ret)

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I seriously doubt that.

J. Reno
USN (ret)

What would be the penalties for him if he was a Chief in the Navy or a Master Sargent in the Army ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]

yep, those charges are going hurt a little bit. I'm thinking there may be some jail time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]

I have to laugh at the violation of Article 120, it goes from "penetrating" to "anus with a foreign object" and then to "anus with finger".  You gotta love how they edit out the juicy details
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I seriously doubt that.

J. Reno
USN (ret)

What would be the penalties for him if he was a Chief in the Navy or a Master Sargent in the Army ?

I saw senior enlisted go to Leavenworth for arson and sexual assault on a child.

I know of several junior enlisted folks that were sent to Correctional Custody Units for 30 days for being consistent PITAs.

Most punishment is handed out in the form of non-judicial punishment* (reduction in rank / forfeiture of pay / restriction).

Punishment for officers generally consists of the trashing of their career that they have been working on, in some cases, for decades.  They are then given a job of collating training pipeline requirement statistics or some such nonsense while they are processed for retirement.  

In only one case do I know of a officer who was confined to quarters.  His base quarters.  That's right.  He was sentenced to stay home.

* Article 15 / Captain's Mast

Edit:  Oh yes, as CMAA, I recall a CWO4 go to mast for stealing a bunch of govt property and a sprinkling of other lesser offenses.
He was fined and afterwards, told to submit his paperwork for retirement.

Edit part II:  I recall an E-5 instructor that was caught poking a number of his female students.
30 days restriction / 30 days extra duty / 1/2 months pay / Reduction to E-4
After 30 days, he was transferred back to the fleet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I seriously doubt that.

J. Reno
USN (ret)

The same. No one is going to do hard time over nookie. Even forbidden nookie. Even if they "coerced" the other party. Unless they straight up violently raped them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#24]

I know of an E7 that had sex with recruits about 10 years ago in basic training. He went to Leavenworth.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In only one case do I know of a officer who was confined to quarters.  His base quarters.  That's right.  He was sentenced to stay home.

Article 15 / Captain's Mast

It takes an O-7 with general court martial authority to confine an officer to quarters. Article 15\ NJP is heavily angled towards policing the enlisted ranks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It takes an O-7 with general court martial authority to confine an officer to quarters. Article 15\ NJP is heavily angled towards policing the enlisted ranks.

Yep.

In the Navy, it takes an O-7 to bust a CPO/E-7 as well.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

In the Navy, it takes an O-7 to bust a CPO/E-7 as well.

No it does not.  Not unless they have modified the MCM since I retired in 1992.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is untrue.  I personally am acquainted with officers who have been awarded an Article 15.  In many cases, the officer opts for a Special Court Martial to try and clear his name rather than accept punishment from his commanding officer.  The downside is that a SPCM may award a far more severe punishment than that which may be awarded by the CO may at NJP.

Forces afloat do not however have the option.  They must accept NJP if awarded.  That of course does not restrict the CO from awarding  a court martial if he/she believes it to be appropriate.  I've seen that happen.  In fact I sat on a court martial for a sailor who was convicted at NJP and subsequently awarded the court martial.

WRT confinement:  A CO afloat may at his/her discretion, may confine any of his officers to their stateroom by putting them in "hack".  This is a very common procedure, usually used by the CO when he/she is really pissed but not enough for formal action.  Hack usually lasts less than a week, but I've seen it go longer.  COs have been known to use it during certain periods of a deployment...such as inport periods in foreign ports.  The officer in hack must continue to perform his/her normal assigned duties and stand all watches and carry out normal work routine.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#29]
In past years, prior to "Tailhook", What he did would have bought him a round at the "O" Club bar.  I know a CO that bought his pilots a round of Blow Jobs in Olongapo.  He was hailed as a Man amoung men.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is untrue.  I personally am acquainted with officers who have been awarded an Article 15.  In many cases, the officer opts for a Special Court Martial to try and clear his name rather than accept punishment from his commanding officer.  The downside is that a SPCM may award a far more severe punishment than that which may be awarded by the CO may at NJP.

Well your crazy Navy has different rules when you're under way. But in general, anyone below an O-7 CAN Article 15 an officer under their command, but their options are either 1) Letter of Reprimand or 2) Confined to limits (which in the Army means no weekend passes.) It takes an O-7 to restrict you to quarters or take away any pay.

That, combined with the fact that LT OERs in the Army are now masked = totally unaccountable LTs. I am one such totally unaccountable LT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Friggin sucks that blowjobs and anal are considered sodomy by the UCMJ.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Yep, sounds like Captain Stinkfinger ended his career on shitty terms.  

Gee, I wonder what will happen when we put females on submarines........
Captain _________ inserted into Seawoman _________'s anus a Tomahawk cruise missile.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#33]
sex makes people stupid.

now where did I hear that before?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Page 6, Spec 6 I wonder what the indecent language was.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

But everyone here says pie is always worth it!

He got pie guys, come on, who cares about anything else!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top