Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2009 7:00:18 AM EDT
I have seen these terms used in military literature, what are the actual definitions/differences amongst them?

Withering fire
Indirect fire
Direct fire
Blanketing fire
Concentrated fire
etc.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have seen these terms used in military literature, what are the actual definitions/differences amongst them?

Withering fire dont know the actual definition, but it generally means "a whole lotta bullets"
Indirect fire artillery, mortars or other non-line of sight fire
Direct fire just that. firing directly at a target.
Blanketing fire mass area fire, no particular target. 'covering fire'
Concentrated fire different weapn systems/shooters all engaging one target.
etc.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Whithering fire means that the men/equipment sent out to attack whithers before it and mass casualties occur which causes the charge to be repelled in most cases.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Withering fire=literary term meaning lots n' lots of rounds being fired at something or other
Indirect fire= Mortars, Artillery, Rocket artillery. Does not need to have Line of Sight to the target.
Direct fire= Small Arms, Tank Main Guns, Anti-Tank Rocket Launchers. Firer has direct Line of Sight to target.
Blanketing fire= Otherwise known as Suppressive Fire. This is when a unit fires a large volume of shit at the enemy to keep their heads down so that the maneuver element can close with the bad guys without getting shot up on the way.
Concentrated fire= I don't know what this is. Could be something like what they have in the Artillery called Time On Target, which is where a battery of guns all fire at the same target at the same time so that all the rounds land at about the same moment. It's pretty devastating shit from what I hear.
etc.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Withering fire
Indirect fire
Direct fire
Blanketing fire
Concentrated fire
etc.

From  FM 101-5-1 (MCRP 5-2A
OPERATIONAL TERMS AND GRAPHICS

concentrated fire — A limited area on which a volume of gunfire is placed within a limited time.

indirect fire (JP 1-02) — Fire delivered on a target that is not itself used as a point of aim for the weapons or the director. (Army) — Fire  delivered on a target characterized by a relatively high trajectory and where the weapon operator normally does not have visual contact with the target

direction of fire — The direction on which a cannon, rocket, gun, or missile is laid. It represents the direction to the most significant threat in the target area.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]

So would that be the aftermath of withering fire?

ETA:  Before I posted this topic my best guess of what "withering fire" meant was sporadic, inaccurate fire that "withered off," so to speak.  Thanks all for clearing that up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Withering fire did this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't withering fire the after effect and the desired result of concentrated fire?

But also means that you did not 'kill them all'.

Oops, I said.

Link Posted: 12/4/2009 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Withering fire
Indirect fire
Direct fire
Blanketing fire
Concentrated fire
etc.

Withering fire-you cant tell the difference between individual zips, and pops, and you sure as hell dont want to stick your head up, everyone is getting hit and its coming from multiple directions

Indirect fire-mortars, arty, rockets ect, non linear fire

Direct fire-you can actually see that dirty tan motherfucker in his sandles and man jammies spraying his Ak at your newbie ass

Blanketing fire-covers a whole area, different weapon systems completely covering a designated area, similar to area fire but with more shooters

Concentrated fire- this is a lot of fire from a lot of people one specific target, think chillin in your OP and you get opened up on by a squad, you are getting concentrated fire, that is probably withering too

im pretty sure thats what the operations field manual says......
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Withering fire -  It's raining lead and all you have is an umbrella.
Link Posted: 12/4/2009 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Withering fire
Indirect fire
Direct fire
Blanketing fire
Concentrated fire
etc.

Withering fire-you cant tell the difference between individual zips, and pops, and you sure as hell dont want to stick your head up, everyone is getting hit and its coming from multiple directions

Indirect fire-mortars, arty, rockets ect, non linear fire

Direct fire-you can actually see that dirty tan motherfucker in his sandles and man jammies spraying his Ak at your newbie ass
Blanketing fire-covers a whole area, different weapon systems completely covering a designated area, similar to area fire but with more shooters

Concentrated fire- this is a lot of fire from a lot of people one specific target, think chillin in your OP and you get opened up on by a squad, you are getting concentrated fire, that is probably withering too

im pretty sure thats what the operations field manual says......

i lol'd. pretty sure thats NOT in the manual tho...
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay, I have another one: grazing fire.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fire that doesn't rise above the height of a standing man from the muzzle to the leveling point.  

For things like FPFs, your machine guns create grazing fire approx 600 meters across the front of your lines.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fire that doesn't rise above the height of a standing man from the muzzle to the leveling point.  

For things like FPFs, your machine guns create grazing fire approx 600 meters across the front of your lines.

Thank you.  What is an FPF?
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#15]
See: mega-f_ck-ton of fire.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Final Protective Fire, for machine guns it is a mission in which the guns fire along the long axis of the position to provide a gate of steel to prevent enemy from getting into the position.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
withering = devastating

withering fire
withering sarcasm
withering rebuke
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Guys:  What's "Probing Fire" and how is it executed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top