Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/14/2009 8:43:39 PM EDT
Got home from a business trip and had this letter waiting for me:

Notice the envelope reads "FINAL NOTICE" and "PAST DUE".
The first line in the letter reads" Our Second Amendment rights are in grave danger because some NRA supporters like you have not renewed your memberships".
WTF?!! They make it seem like I didn't pay my light bill or something..... I pay all my bills on time, all the time.
Here is the reply I sent them:

First of all, as I've told you numerous times over the years, it's "Bryan", not "Brian". I doubt your automated system will catch that this time either.
Secondly, I just got home and read your mailing dated 19 October 2009. On the envelope it states "FINAL NOTICE", and in bold red letters "PAST DUE". I realize you are trying to keep membership up but this is utter nonsense. I do not owe the NRA anything. I choose to be a member. Living in a small town, crap like this in the mail gets the word around that I do not pay my bills. My rural route mail carrier is a Deacon at my Church. He saw your "notice", and voiced his concern to my wife last Sunday. What you have done is extremely humiliating. I pay my bills on time, all the time. You have defamed me in the local community.
I am highly upset about this.
I am also a member of the TSRA, GOA, and JPFO. I do my part. I think that the NRA as an organization has lost touch with the "grass-roots". I am considering posting pictures of your envelope and letter on several web-based firearms forums to let people know how you treat your older members when they don't pony up cash ahead of time.

Good Day.

These jackasses aren't fighting for me, they just want to milk me for money to pay Wayne's BOTOX bill.

Anybody else get one of these letters?
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I get more junk mail from the NRA than I do credit card companies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Past due on yearly memberships?  

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I'd be pissed too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I get junk mail with crap like that emblazoned on it all the time.  Not that I in any way support the NRA's obnoxious gimme gimme mailings, but maybe your mailman needs to mind his own business and get his facts straight before he starts flapping his gums.  And he is a deacon in your church?  He should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to get the same thing.  Every other week it was something, and always wanting money, or to pay early.  I called, and told the person who answered about this, and that either it stops, or I will no longer be a member.  All this mail was wasting the money was was supposed to be used to fight anti-gunners.  He did something, and the junk all but stopped.  I get a notice before memebership is due, maybe two , and thats it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 5 year membership last fall, and they sent me a renewal notice already.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
So it's YOUR fault!

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I get junk mail with crap like that emblazoned on it all the time.  Not that I in any way support the NRA's obnoxious gimme gimme mailings, but maybe your mailman needs to mind his own business and get his facts straight before he starts flapping his gums.  And he is a deacon in your church?  He should be ashamed.

QFT

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My rural route mail carrier is a Deacon at my Church. He saw your "notice", and voiced his concern to my wife last Sunday. What you have done is extremely humiliating. I pay my bills on time, all the time. You have defamed me in the local community.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I did the free 1 year membership offer they earlier this year. Every month or two, I get a letter telling me that the only way I can save the Constitution is to pay them money. I WILL renew this year with a paid membership, but will tell them that if I see one more piece of mail like that before month 11, they wont be seeing me again.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh oh.  Now you've gone and pissed off the NRA lovers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Those are indeed cheap and sensational marketing tactics.

Sadly, they seem to be what works.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So it's YOUR fault!

Yup, it's me. I'm the reason that Wayne "Elmer Fudd" LaPierre can't find his nuts in the morning.
They might as well have put "Convicted Pedophile" on the envelope around these parts.
The Deacon was offering financial assistance, BTW. Small communities tend to watch out for their own. I love living here, up until "Aunt Nellie" lets her tongue loose.... Scandalous, I tell you-
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
If they'd use the money they spend in mailings to fight for us maybe Obama wouldn't be president.

But yea, they annoy the hell of out me. I lost all hope and support for them during the Tornadoes we had here in Kansas that destroyed Greensburg. Saying LE was taking weapons, which we were fucking NOT.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
In before certain members here who work for the NRA.

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Become a Life Member and you will avoid these renewal letters. You can also vote in new leadership if you don't like the current policies.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck the NRA.....they are a voluntary organization and  you don;t owe them shit....after they get the NFA and all restrictions on full auto done away with I will consider joining.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they'd use the money they spend in mailings to fight for us maybe Obama wouldn't be president.

But yea, they annoy the hell of out me. I lost all hope and support for them during the Tornadoes we had here in Kansas that destroyed Greensburg. Saying LE was taking weapons, which we were fucking NOT.

I will still continue to be a member (It's required at the local range, and I'm on staff ) I just want them to stop the B.S.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck the NRA.....they are a voluntary organization and  you don;t owe them shit....after they get the NFA and all restrictions on full auto done away with I will consider joining.

That will never happen because they will be out of a job once the war over the 2A is over.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will never happen because they will be out of a job once the war over the 2A is over.

3 day timeout for making sense in GD.

_MaH
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Wah, wah, wah, the NRA has made me mad by having the audacity to dare send me a letter.

So quit already, the last thing we need in the NRA is more sandy manginas like yours.  But don't worry, someone else will step forward and pull your weight for you.

Feel better now?

God what a bunch of pussy ass girlie men we've got here.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Become a Life Member and you will avoid these renewal letters. You can also vote in new leadership if you don't like the current policies.

I agree.  I also agree that the mail the OP received is completely unnecessary
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will still continue to be a member (It's required at the local range, and I'm on staff ) I just want them to stop the B.S.

If it is reqired at the local range then tell them to pay for the fucking membership.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Ya know the whole thing would have never came up if you just renewed your membership on time...

Just saying....
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why would they do that?  They helped create them.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a lifer and paid up so I don't get past due notices

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope I can say I've never gotten one of those, (never will either).
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wah, wah, wah, the NRA has made me mad by having the audacity to dare send me a letter.

So quit already, the last thing we need in the NRA is more sandy manginas like yours.  But don't worry, someone else will step forward and pull your weight for you.

Feel better now?

So, whatcha drinking tonight?
I've been NRA for many years. This letter was B.S.
Guess you wouldn't mind a letter from NAMBLA, with the letters spelled out delivered through a neighborhood mail carrier?
See what I'm saying?

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
they have been calling my cell phone while im at work.  its annoying.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I get more junk mail from the NRA than I do credit card companies.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Feel better now?

+1

They are not perfect, but they do a ton of good shit and it aint free. Yeah the bullshit marketing sucks... but guess what it works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ya know..being an Elder in my church..if our Deacon had pulled this...he would be in front of the board of Elders explaining his actions.  What the NRA did was just stupid....what your Deacon did was beyond stupid.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yup...Life Member...and I receive zero mailings from the NRA...except for their yearly sweepstakes...but then I want those.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#34]
ONE huge reason i do not donate or suppor the NRA.

FUCK the nra
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
First of all, as I've told you numerous times over the years, it's "Bryan", not "Brian". I doubt your automated system will catch that this time either.

Secondly, I just got home and read your mailing dated 19 October 2009. On the envelope it states "FINAL NOTICE", and in bold red letters "PAST DUE". I realize you are trying to keep membership up but this is utter nonsense. I do not owe the NRA anything. I choose to be a member. Living in a small town, crap like this in the mail gets the word around that I do not pay my bills. My rural route mail carrier is a Deacon at my Church. He saw your "notice", and voiced his concern to my wife last Sunday. What you have done is extremely humiliating. I pay my bills on time, all the time. You have defamed me in the local community.

I am highly upset about this.

I am also a member of the TSRA, GOA, and JPFO. I do my part. I think that the NRA as an organization has lost touch with the "grass-roots". I am considering posting pictures of your envelope and letter on several web-based firearms forums to let people know how you treat your older members when they don't pony up cash ahead of time.

Good Day.

Are you serious?  Do you really fear being branded as a deadbeat by your neighbors because the NRA sends you a letter stamped "past due"?  Are your neighbors that judgmental?  What kind of community do you live in?

And what kind of Deacon at what kind of church spreads gossip like that?  If he's going to be a busybody, at least he should be smart enough to know that the NRA is a voluntary organization, not a public utility.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#36]
It says NRA on the outside in  big ass letters! and past due in tiny letters. If someone is snooping into your mail and is scum enough to look at the past due then they are gonna see the NRA too and put 2 and 2 together that its not a real bill and know your not a financial moron. +1 on the mail man being a douche if he went flapping his gums. Sounds to me like your trying to get something outta the NRA from this
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will still continue to be a member (It's required at the local range, and I'm on staff
) I just want them to stop the B.S.

If it is reqired at the local range then tell them to pay for the fucking membership.

WTF? Required by the range? How do they know do you have to present it every time you go or what?

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feel better now?

Guess you wouldn't mind a letter from NAMBLA, with the letters spelled out delivered through a neighborhood mail carrier?

See what I'm saying?

Absolutely.  Because getting a letter from an organization which advocates child molestation is exactly the same as getting a cheap junk mail stamped "past due" from the NRA.  

Once again, I'll ask:  What kind of town do you live in, and what kind of church do you attend where your standing in the community is seriously threatened by a piece of JUNK MAIL?

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#39]
If I were you..I would get with the Elders of your Church..explain what the Deacon did..explain your position.....and if your board of Elders knows their job..they will deal with the Deacon.

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
...threatened by a piece of JUNK MAIL?

But how does the USPS know it's junk mail?  They don't.  The NRA intentionally made it look like he's a deadbeat to try to get him to pay.z
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private ranges have no right to tell me what to do! They must pay for me!

For fuck's sake the whining in this thread is mind boggling.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Once again, I'll ask:  What kind of town do you live in, and what kind of church do you attend where your standing in the community is seriously threatened by a piece of JUNK MAIL?

A small town. And the church is a good one. And no, my standing in the community is not threatened. It just sucks when your personal business gets thrown into a public venue. Average Joe or Jane off the street doesn't realize that the NRA is a volunteer organization, or even what the NRA stands for. And as far as understanding a small town, if you have never lived in one then I can't explain it to you, though I highly recommend it to city folks.
Freedom is just a word until you live in the sticks. Then you finally understand.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In before certain members here who work for the NRA.

_MaH

Good, then they can answer for this kind of crap and explain why they aren't working to change it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

See what I'm saying?

Holy fuckin shit!  NRA=nambla?  What the fuck?    

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A small town. And the church is a good one. And no, my standing in the community is not threatened. It just sucks when your personal business gets thrown into a public venue. Average Joe or Jane off the street doesn't realize that the NRA is a volunteer organization, or even what the NRA stands for. And as far as understanding a small town, if you have never lived in one then I can't explain it to you, though I highly recommend it to city folks.
Freedom is just a word until you live in the sticks. Then you finally understand.

My rural route mail carrier is a Deacon at my Church. He saw your "notice", and voiced his concern to my wife last Sunday. What you have done is extremely humiliating. I pay my bills on time, all the time. You have defamed me in the local community.

And FUCK small towns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private ranges have no right to tell me what to do! They must pay for me!

For fuck's sake the whining in this thread is mind boggling.

I teach kids how to shoot. That's what I do as a hobby, for fun. Don't tell Obama......  My range gets their insurance through the NRA, as such, all members must be NRA members. (100% NRA Affiliated)
Even being on staff, I still pay club dues as well as NRA dues. And I don't care, it is well worth the money to secure future gun-friendly votes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

ONE huge reason i do not donate or suppor the NRA.

FUCK the nra

Well with the money you're saving by not supporting an organization that fights to support our right to bear arms, why don't you take some funds and buy a dictionary.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya know..being an Elder in my church..if our Deacon had pulled this...he would be in front of the board of Elders explaining his actions.  What the NRA did was just stupid....what your Deacon did was beyond stupid.

yeah no shit

he'd be getting a piece of my mind.  non of his fucking business

Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Agreed. Wildly unacceptable.
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the ONE and ONLY reason I will not join the NRA again.  If they would cut out the ridiculous junk mail, calls, and panhandling of members, I would join in a heartbeat.

As it stands, I contribute to them through Round-Up programs such as Natchez and Midway have.  They probably get more money from me in that manner than they would with a membership––and they save all the money they would spend in the aforementioned dogshit.

ETA:  Great response to them by the way.  But after kabillions of responses such as yours, they just ain't going to get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top