BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
will you sell me a gun if live out of state?
IIRC, adjoining state = OK.
yes but if its a pistol I will have to ship to your FFL, long gun as long as its legal in your state. Now if you are .mil on orders to the state buy away and here is a 10% discount
how long is the sbr wait?
In MI? IDK, maybe 3 or 4 years (not legal, yet)
2-6 months
full size, compact or subcompact for a pistol?
What's your necessity? Plinking, Selfe defense? CCW?
ditto
which brand of 1911 is better?
I really like Kimber, but SA's are awesome, too. if you can swing the loot, Les Baer, Wilson, or Colt's higher end lines
how much are you looking to spend?

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the dif between a Remmy 1100 and a 1187?

Dunno, of the top of my head, but I'd grab one of each and do a side-by-side comparison....

I believe the correct answer is 87!  

Is it okay if I dry-fire this 22LR Buckmark?

on a Rimfire? I'll give you one pull.

Some rimfires are always okay to dryfire, by design - Ruger pistols (I know at least MkIIIs for sure) are among those.

Some Buckmarks are fine, some aren't. Depends on if the FP will actually impact upon the barrel breechface, which tends to vary a little pistol-to-pistol. In retail, best to keep a pack of rimfire snap-caps around for guns like these.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno, of the top of my head, but I'd grab one of each and do a side-by-side comparison....

I believe the correct answer is 87!  

Is it okay if I dry-fire this 22LR Buckmark?

on a Rimfire? I'll give you one pull.

Some rimfires are always okay to dryfire, by design - Ruger pistols (I know at least MkIIIs for sure) are among those.

Some Buckmarks are fine, some aren't. Depends on if the FP will actually impact upon the barrel breechface, which tends to vary a little pistol-to-pistol. In retail, best to keep a pack of rimfire snap-caps around for guns like these.

Snap cap! Duh! Too obvious....
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
will you sell me a gun if live out of state?
IIRC, adjoining state = OK.
yes but if its a pistol I will have to ship to your FFL, long gun as long as its legal in your state. Now if you are .mil on orders to the state buy away and here is a 10% discount

Federally speaking, a FFL may sell a long-gun to a resident of any state. Firearms other than long-guns cannot be transferred except to residents of the same state - this includes handguns, stripped frames/receivers, and NFA firearms.

States may have other regulations. OH, for one, has no legal provision prohibiting FFLs from selling to any legal resident of any state.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I shoot 9x18 mak ammo in my .38 super. Can I shoot .38 super in my .357 mag revolver.

as for the Makarov part, I have NO idea.

As for the .38/.357, IIRC I believe you can, but I would want to verify, before I let you blow yourself up!

38 Super is a rimless round developed for the Colt 1911A1 Govt Model in the early 1930s, it will NOT work in a 357 mag revolver

Ah, that makes sense. I know a lot of competitors use .38 Super in 1911 style pistols.

That explanation is close, but not accurate, and in a potentially dangerous way.

The .38 ACP is a round designed at the turn of the century for the original Colt semiautomatics. The dimensions were later reused to make the .38 super, but the operating pressures were drastically increased, sort of like the .38spl->357mag transition. In reality, 38 super is just a slightly longer 9mm. The real problem is that .38 Super will fit and fire in a gun designed for .38 ACP - they're dimensionally the same, unlike 38spl and 357mag.

If an unknowing user tried to shoot the .38 super in their C&R Colt handgun, it will likely cause a severe overpressure situation, and potentially a catastrophic failure. Anyone who actually owns one of these guns likely knows this, as they are somewhat rare and expensive, though it's always good to know things like this when you're the "expert" behind the counter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say mister, I'm looking to hunt some turkey here soon, and I need to know what boolits to use in my shawtgun.  What load would you suggest?  Also, what kinda choke?!

First what gauge shawtgun? 12? I'd say a "game load" around 8

(i'm new to "shotties" so ths is a (mis?)educated guess....)

Extra full choke. You will want to pattern it with a variety of different shot sizes and brands. 3" is preferred amongst most turkey hunters and #3-#5 is what you should use. Federal makes a great load in 3" with fight control wads. #4 is highly recommended.

To pattern, Set targets out at 40 yards, shoot, and see which has the most consistent tightest groups. That's what your shotgun likes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of slugs do you use in a rifled shotgun barrel?

Hmmm. I may be in the dark on this one..... I'm not sure of the differences in slugs, but I would guess there are "rifled", "non-rifled", and sabot, yeah? So, in a rifled barrel I'd say "non-rifled or sabot"....

Am i right?

Rifled (most popular is foster style) and sabot are the two main slugs. Sabot slugs should only be shot out of a fully rifled barrel where rifled slugs can be shot out of ether a rifled barrel or smoothbore barrel. You get very nice accuracy with rifled slugs and a rifled barrel.

(I'll help you out with your shotgun questions - BTW Shotgun forum FTMFW!!!)
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
They say racking a shotgun will make burgular shit there pants. What I wanna know is if I rack it, will it make ME shit MY pants?
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
how do I adjust the trigger on this here remington 700
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1100 - 2 3/4" shells only
1187 - 2 3/4" and 3" shells
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say mister, I'm looking to hunt some turkey here soon, and I need to know what boolits to use in my shawtgun.  What load would you suggest?  Also, what kinda choke?!

First what gauge shawtgun? 12? I'd say a "game load" around 8

(i'm new to "shotties" so ths is a (mis?)educated guess....)

Extra full choke. You will want to pattern it with a variety of different shot sizes and brands. 3" is preferred amongst most turkey hunters and #3-#5 is what you should use. Federal makes a great load in 3" with fight control wads. #4 is highly recommended.

To pattern, Set targets out at 40 yards, shoot, and see which has the most consistent tightest groups. That's what your shotgun likes.

Good info. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They say racking a shotgun will make burgular shit there pants. What I wanna know is if I rack it, will it make ME shit MY pants?

No, sir, it's highly directional.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't know, but most guns I've seen with adjustable triggers have a set screw somewhere near the trigger assembly. It may require removing the action from the stock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I use this sometimes when I'm constipated.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't know, but most guns I've seen with adjustable triggers have a set screw somewhere near the trigger assembly. It may require removing the action from the stock.

shit I don't know either thats why I asked you!

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am dying laughing at your avatar
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#17]
What is an "accutrigger"?
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No idea. Sounds like a trademark for a specific trigger mech that is likely "Accurate"?

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea. Sounds like a trademark for a specific trigger mech that is likely "Accurate"?

Adjustable weight trigger used on Savage rifles.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked it up and it's a bit of a process!

detailed instructions

This is where I'd learn better if I had one to go "hands-on" with while reading.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Geezz It's like I've clocked back in from earlier in teh week with some of these questions.
Get ready to meet some real winners if you get hired at the local fun shop. Stupid questions AND answers are pretty much limitless. We have a indoor range at our store and we have to check all ammunition before letting them on the range. I normally ask " What BRAND ammunition do you have today?" and 9 outta 10 times the reply will be 9mm/45/.380/etc. always the caliber, never the brand. The same goes with repairs when customers come to pick them up. Hunting season is the worst. I'll ask what model they are there to pick up ( it helps finding it in the vault a little easier) and they'll say 30.06/.270/etc. Some people have no clue what their rifle is. I admit though, there is plenty I don't know and I've been at this around 4 years. Finding the right choke tubes still gives me a hard time.

But for the majority of customers, they know what they own and know their stuff. You'll probably have a lot of regulars, treat these guys well, they come back for a reason. Don't BS the customers, if you don't know something don't be afraid to ask another co-worker.

One of the first things I do when we get a new hire at our store is get together a copy of every one of our products magazines, flyers, info packs, anything I can find with gun and gear info and ask them to read it in their spare time. They'll learn some technical stuff from it. The main reason is not to memorize the entire thing, but get familiar with it so they can refer back to it if a question about that particular product comes up.

Just remember; be patient, listen to the customer. Most times they know what they want, it just takes a little patience to help them pick the right tools and/or gear. Also, try not to judge customers on their looks. A lot of people see someone walk in that appears piss poor and broke so they write them off as a waste of time. Most times those people end up buying a high end toy.

If your store has a on site gunsmith, ask about shadowing him some. Learn all you can. I've been doing that for a while now and it's really been a great experience.

one last thing.... resist the urge to pistol whip the idiots.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]
1. "Thanks for helping me pick out this Ruger 10/22 w/ 3-9x scope combo for my son. How would you recommend I zero it in?"

2. "I bought a Glock 19 a few years ago for home protection. Last week I finally got my CHL, so I'm here today looking for a holster for concealed carry. Can you tell me what types you offer, and how one style would be better than the other?"

3. "My Grandfather passed away a while back and left me a bolt action rifle and a few shotguns. They look to be in good condition, but I'm concerned about keeping them that way. Can you suggest some products that I could use to clean them up real well, as well as some to protect them from incurring any rust from long term storage?"

Those were off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll post them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
.... so, how much if I dont want to wait the three days?????
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<snip>

one last thing.... resist the urge to pistol whip the idiots.

Yeah, i know what it's like. I'm currently an A/V repair guy and get lots of dumb questions... Makes your head spin sometimes...
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1. "Thanks for helping me pick out this Ruger 10/22 w/ 3-9x scope combo for my son. How would you recommend I zero it in?"
I would suggest sighting in between 50 and 100yds. Suggest a good benchrest bag and tell them how to break in barrel... shoot a 5 shot group. adjust scope knobs (explain MOA and markings). repeat until satisfied.

2. "I bought a Glock 19 a few years ago for home protection. Last week I finally got my CHL, so I'm here today looking for a holster for concealed carry. Can you tell me what types you offer, and how one style would be better than the other?"
Question their typical clothing styles, suggest based on concealability, material durability, price, and comfort/ease of draw.3. "My Grandfather passed away a while back and left me a bolt action rifle and a few shotguns. They look to be in good condition, but I'm concerned about keeping them that way. Can you suggest some products that I could use to clean them up real well, as well as some to protect them from incurring any rust from long term storage?"
Suggest Cleaning and Lubricating products (Hoppes, CLP, etc..) and suggest to not store in foam lined case (due to contact moisture and rust). Recommend gun sock and safe with dessicants.
Those were off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll post them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

20 years to life.
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 years to life.

how about, get a CCW and you dont have to wait
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 years to life.

true... if they wanna wait for the 2-5 months it takes to get one....

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I shoot 9x18 mak ammo in my .38 super. Can I shoot .38 super in my .357 mag revolver.

as for the Makarov part, I have NO idea.

As for the .38/.357, IIRC I believe you can, but I would want to verify, before I let you blow yourself up!

38 Super is a rimless round developed for the Colt 1911A1 Govt Model in the early 1930s, it will NOT work in a 357 mag revolver

Incorrect: It will work in a Medusa!

Link Posted: 10/2/2009 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 years to life.

true... if they wanna wait for the 2-5 months it takes to get one....

in fl, its back down to a week or two, but until then they will have to wait the 3 days if they buy from a FFL, if they dont want to wait buy from a private party
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#31]
"Can I fill out the paperwork today, rather than next week when I pickup the gun?  I have a criminal charge that might have gone through by then, so I'd like to fill this out now while I haven't been convicted."

(I was actually asked that)
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#32]
u take ma pic wit dis gat?

and......

what gun did he use in Heat?
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

u take ma pic wit dis gat?

and......

what gun did he use in Heat?

A lot of people do ask about guns from movies.

I find this site to be useful to find that information.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top