Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2009 11:05:41 AM EDT
My wife, bless her soul, can talk for 10 minutes to tell me something that should take a maximum of 2 sentences to convey the information that she wants me to know. I guess I get a look on my face or something when she is doing it because she acts hurt sometimes and then apologizes for talking too much. I feel bad about that and have to work on my facial expressions I suppose. But why do they do that? It is something that has always mystified me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting topic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
My SO does the same thing, and I must get the same look on my face you do, because the next thing I get is a 6 page letter "xplaining things" better

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't let my wife get that far. When she starts in with the meaningless filler I tell her to get to the point. I'm not going to listen to someone for 10 minutes to get one minutes worth of information.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]

ETA: They think they're talking to another woman.  They're attempting to fine tune all of the same dials, but fail to realize we don't have the same ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
They love the sound of their own voice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
wemminz are kinda dumb some time

in bed
her- do you want to see me again?
me- *dodge the question and rollover trying to sleep
her- its my last night here, I want to talk
me- ugh, fine what do you want to talk about?
me- no
her- *silence
me- I thought you wanted to talk
her- no

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I do the same thing, I have to tell them... what is it you are telling me in 20 seconds?     That means about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate it.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife has learned she has approximately three sentences to catch my attention before I loose interest.  She has learned quickly not to give details like how many tomatoes were on her friend's sandwich 3 years ago.  The woman knows me and has adapted, she's great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Because women are different? Saw a study. Men transmit and expect info based on importance. Important stuff first. Useful in hunting, building, farming, combat, etc. Women seem to need to understand the "why" before they are ready for the "what". So when a woman starts talking, she is explaining "why" she needs the "what". Problem is, when men hear the first two sentences and there is nothing needing action we assume nothing to follow is important and we tune out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]
And yet on the internet they keep it short. They know how to communicate.

They just like hearing themselves talk or see if you put up with her shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://radio.weblogs.com/0001015/images/2002/03/17/menwomen.jpg

ETA: They think they're talking to another woman.  They're attempting to fine tune all of the same dials, but fail to realize we don't have the same ones.

This.

Only that's half of what's supposed to be on there. The other half is hidden/secret that men are "supposed" to know about.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Wifes a phsyco therapist were do you think that leaves me.......................................a good listener
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#14]

I say "Come on, spit it out."
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They love the sound of their own voice.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because women are different? Saw a study. Men transmit and expect info based on importance. Important stuff first. Useful in hunting, building, farming, combat, etc. Women seem to need to understand the "why" before they are ready for the "what". So when a woman starts talking, she is explaining "why" she needs the "what". Problem is, when men hear the first two sentences and there is nothing needing action we assume nothing to follow is important and we tune out.

God damn, that's fucking good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Because they are liberals?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Because they operate on feeeeeeeelings....

- Clint
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was married, needed info in a hurry, and called the wife on her cell, I'd give her, 'this is an informational call" and she'd snap right into step.

I'm not married now, so I guess she didn't appreciate the indoctrination.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thats my wife, she will spend more time trying to figure out "why" than anything else. I always tell her it doesnt mattter you will never know "why".
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#21]
It's an emotional thing. The act of talking is what matters, not the information conveyed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think my wife has an internal monologue.  Every thought or thought process that runs through her mind she has to say out loud.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's an emotional thing. The act of talking is what matters, not the information conveyed.

Is your avatar performing fellatio?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I've started repeating everything she says back to her...after I've condensed it down to how a sane person (man) would say it.

Her: My sister's fiancee was being a dick last week and he went out to get food and didn't bring her any back and then brought some girl from his work back home while my sister was there and now she doesn't know if she wants to marry him and my moms going to be over at the apartment with her so my dad will be alone with the dog and he's such a big fat turd (sometimes I like to translate for my own amusement) that he can't take care of it so ill be going home this weekend to spend some time with him and take care of the dog ***this is where she takes a breath then goes on for another two or three minutes about every single thing she plans to do while at home***

Me: *girly voice* Hey, Ohiobr, I'm going home this weekend.

*regular voice* Ok hun, have fun.

Her: You're an ass.

Me: See! You're getting better.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do you allow them to talk?
brb wife is calling
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#26]
She's not trying to convey information, she's conveying emotion.  They are attempting to explain every angle of a subject, sometimes repeatedly, until they feel that they've let you understand their feelings on the subject.

DO say:  "I understand how you feel."  She wants to show you her point of view.  This seems completely pointless, but just go with it, since your only alternative is to date a dude.

DON'T attempt to solve the problem unless she specifically asks you to help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#27]
My 12 year old son lives with his mother, grandmother, and aunt when he's not with me.

We've had countless of discussions regarding "economy of word".

"Hey Sam. You gonna make a point sometime today or what?"

"Too many words. Too slow to the point. Speed it up!"

"You want some heels to go with that conversation?"

I can be pretty rough on him for using too many words to get to his point, but I think the payoff will come when he's an adult working in the real world. Alpha males do not communicate like women.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

brb wife is calling

Nice touch.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

brb wife is calling

Nice touch.  

CMOS

Maybe she just wants to know how much bacon he wants on his sammich.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Her:  Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ... for 20 minutes

Me:  So what was the point of that?  Do you need me to fix something?  Kill a spider or check your oil?  Want advice on how to deal with the girl at work who acts like a cunt?

Her:    I was just telling you about my day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I went on a date yesterday and the girl launches into how are friend's husband is cheating on her with another friend in their circle and...

Then she goes; "But, I don't want to talk about it".

I like this girl A LOT, but I was real close to asking her why she brought it up. I don't think women think through what they are going to say before they say it.

I once told a girlfriend she talked too much, I mean this girl never shut the fuck up, ever. She took it well, I sort of felt bad about saying it, but she reduced her "talking" by about 15%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Much of our current day behavior seems to be tied back to the Hunter/Gatherer tribal days.  Men went off to hunt because it took strength and endurance, this left women at the camp looking after the children, taking care of small tasks around camp, cooking, cleaning, and socializing with all the other women.  Anyone that hunts know that you need to stay quiet or the animals will hear you.  So it comes to no suprise that men talked only when there was something important to say or do.  Women on the other hand were tasked with handling many thing at the same time with only women for companions.  They needed to communicate with other women to learn how to do things, ask for help, share experiences, and to keep things interesting.  So it comes to no suprise that women love to talk, especially to other women.  

You can take this even further and say that the more aggressive dominant "bad boy" types back then were better providers, took what they needed, won fights, and were just all around better at ensuring his family was taken care of.  That carries forward today and can be seen with women's attraction to dominant males/bad boys.  Most women I know can't explain it, they know those types are trouble, yet still they find themselves drawn to that type of guy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#33]
My Father referred to it as "just talking to hear your head rattle".  I think that covers the description and explanation quite well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#35]
It's called stream of consciousness. You'd think they were James Joyce reincarnate.

Ever see someone on a loading dock backing up a truck? Arms straight out, palms facing inward, fingers doing the "come on, come on"? This seems to work for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My wife, bless her soul, can talk for 10 minutes to tell me something that should take a maximum of 2 sentences to convey the information that she wants me to know. I guess I get a look on my face or something when she is doing it because she acts hurt sometimes and then apologizes for talking too much. I feel bad about that and have to work on my facial expressions I suppose. But why do they do that? It is something that has always mystified me.

Why did you type so much useless BS?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Daily Word Quota.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

- Clint

Shit.  More men get their feeeeelings butt-hurt on this forum by the simplest things.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#39]

My arm is constantly sore from doing the circular motion, "come on come on" arm movement..
My wife can tell you a dream she had and she wasnt asleep as long as it takes her to tell the dream.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm betting that your wives can also convey a ton of information just by giving you "the look".  No words needed...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damn, that's fucking good.

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife will take 1 sentence to explain 3 sentences worth of information.  If she feels it is important that you know it.  If it is not important, for either of us, I probably won't hear about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm surprised more of you folks don't have the "off" switch on your ears.

example:

What she says: You know that trash can smells funny, can you wash it? I think its because the cat puked, blah blah blah blah blah

(10 mins of blah blah)

What I hear:    "You know that trash can smells funny, can you wash it?"  

*Then I mentally block out the rest as I continue surfing arfcom*
-10 min later-

Her: Did you hear what I just said?!

Me:  Wash trash can.

Her: Well ok, I thought you weren't listening.

edited to add: *this only works if they say something meaningful in the first sentence since that is the only sentence I hear before turning my incoming audio off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#45]
If my wife is upset, she will talk in 5 minute run on sentences.  

Sometimes I have to turn my back on her before she gets it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Daily Word Quota.

This...If my wife asks me why I'm quiet, I tell her I used up all my words today.  

Since I work all day by myself, she often wonders how I can use them all up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
She's not trying to convey information, she's conveying emotion.  They are attempting to explain every angle of a subject, sometimes repeatedly, until they feel that they've let you understand their feelings on the subject.

DO say:  "I understand how you feel."  She wants to show you her point of view.  This seems completely pointless, but just go with it, since your only alternative is to date a dude.

DON'T attempt to solve the problem unless she specifically asks you to help.

I had my gf read this thread.

She agrees with you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

- Clint

Yep. All that gum flapping is for bonding.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

On this topic shouldn't you have said, "My wife talks takes to long to get to the point when she's talking to me.  Why?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damn, that's fucking good brilliant.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top