Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 10:27:16 AM EDT
House votes to defund Acorn - headline on Drudge

I was happy to see the Senate vote on this but thought it would die fast in the house.  This suprises me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, were a RICO investigation away from a damn good week!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the Glenn Beck haters
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought this already happened.  What was that 83-7 vote they had earlier this week?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought this already happened.  What was that 83-7 vote they had earlier this week?

That was the Senate vote.  Both houses need to pass legislation for it to reach Obama's desk.  Ball's in his court now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That was the Senate. This one is from the House.

BTW, it appears to me that ACORN just got kicked in the nuts (pun intended)!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the Senate vote.  Both houses need to pass legislation for it to reach Obama's desk.  Ball's in his court now.

now will he sign it or will he veto it...............

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
what was the score on the House vote?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pray he vetos it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, talk about damned if you do, damned if you dont.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Under My Bus!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfL-Oj1rQ-c

ETA:  By the end of his term, the remake will be longer than "In-a-godda-da-vida".
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what was the score on the House vote?

http://biggovernment.com/

Rep. Darrell Issa  (R-CA) offered the Defund-ACORN bill to the Student Loans bill.  The House vote convincingly to cut ALL federal funds to ACORN.

Vote: 375 to 75.  

Developing…

The Vote
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#13]

*** UPDATE *** House Minority Whip Eric Cantor's office just sent around this statement:

“ACORN has violated serious federal laws, and today the House voted to ensure that taxpayer dollars would no longer be used to fund this corrupt organization. All federal ties should be severed with ACORN, and the FBI should investigate its activity. This united Republican effort to defund ACORN is a victory for the rule of law and taxpayers across the country.”

This would be excellent news.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
All of the nay votes were Democrats....color me shocked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]

–––– NOES/Voted against defunding acorn    75 ––-

Baldwin
Becerra
Brady (PA)
Brown, Corrine
Butterfield
Capuano
Carson (IN)
Castor (FL)
Cleaver
Clyburn
Crowley
Cummings
Davis (IL)
DeGette
Delahunt
Doyle
Edwards (MD)
Ellison
Engel
Fattah
Filner
Fudge
Green, Al
Grijalva
Hinchey
Hirono
Holt
Honda
Jackson (IL)
Jackson-Lee (TX)
Johnson, E. B.
Kilpatrick (MI)
Kucinich
Larsen (WA)
Lee (CA)
Lewis (GA)
Lynch
Markey (MA)
McCollum
McDermott
McGovern
Meeks (NY)
Mollohan
Moore (WI)
Moran (VA)
Nadler (NY)
Neal (MA)
Olver
Pallone
Pascrell
Payne
Polis (CO)
Price (NC)
Rahall
Rangel
Roybal-Allard
Rush
Sánchez, Linda T.
Schakowsky
Scott (GA)
Scott (VA)
Serrano
Sherman
Sires
Slaughter
Stark
Thompson (MS)
Towns
Tsongas
Velázquez
Waters
Watson
Waxman
Wexler
Woolsey

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Funny how no one has remarked that this student loan bill effectively forces students under the color of law to get their student loans EXCLUSIVELY from the Federal Government.  We just won a battle and mistakenly believed we won the war.

Yahoo

WASHINGTON – The House is poised to vote to push private lenders out of the federal college loan business and massively expand the government's own lending program.

Following a day of debate, House lawmakers were expected to approve on Thursday a student aid bill that has widespread support, including from the White House. The measure will then go to the Senate, where its fate is somewhat less certain.

Putting the government in charge of all federal loans would save taxpayers an estimated $87 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The CBO says the figure could be much lower, $47 billion, when administrative costs and market conditions are considered.

The money would boost Pell Grants for needy students, increasing the maximum grant by $1,400 to $6,900 over the next decade. It also would pay for a new college completion fund, community college reforms and more college aid for veterans.

"No student in this great country of ours should have to mortgage their future to pursue their dreams," said the bill's sponsor, California Democratic Rep. George Miller, chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee.

Yet the money also would be spent on things that don't help pay for college, such as construction at K-12 schools and new preschool programs.

And while the measure would increase Pell Grants, it would do nothing to curb college costs, which rise much faster than Pell Grants do.

As consumers, college students probably wouldn't notice much difference in their loans, which they would get through their schools. Broadly speaking, the bill doesn't do much to make loans cheaper or help pay them off.

It does keep interest rates for need-based federal loans from jumping from 3.4 percent currently to 6.8 percent as scheduled in 2012. Rates for most other loans would remain at 6.8 percent.

Still, the bill's changes to federal college aid programs would be the most sweeping since their creation in the 1960s and would fulfill a campaign promise by President Barack Obama.

The measure would end the subsidized loan program under which private lenders made $56 billion in government-backed loans to more than 6 million students last year, compared with $14 billion in direct loans from the government.

The bill would also shorten the labyrinthine college aid form, which Obama proposed to eliminate altogether when he ran for president.

Republican critics argue it is wrong to put the government in near-total control of student lending.

"Ask yourselves whether another government takeover is what we need right now," said Minnesota Rep. John Kline, senior Republican on the Education Committee.

Many also worry about job losses in their districts. Private lenders employ more than 30,000 people whose jobs depend on the subsidized loan program, and the industry says many would be laid off.

Employees of Sallie Mae, the biggest student lender, have been trying to involve local leaders in the issue and recently held a series of town hall meetings and petition drives in Pennsylvania, Florida, Delaware, New York and Indiana.

The Reston, Va.-based lender has about 8,500 employees in the program and probably would lay off about 30 percent of those workers. It still will have contracts to service federal loans.

Democratic Rep. David Wu of Oregon said lenders still could make all the loans they want. "What will not happen anymore is making those student loans with taxpayer subsidies," he said.

Under the measure, Pell Grants would rise slightly more than inflation over the next decade, increasing on average by about 2.6 percent yearly, according to the bill's sponsors.

However, the grants would still depend on annual spending bills and could rise less than promised, as has happened in the past.

Obama originally proposed to take Pell Grants out of lawmakers' hands entirely, making the program an entitlement like Social Security and Medicare, which would have cost an estimated $117 billion — more than lawmakers have to spend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I couldn't find Pelosi's vote.  Anyone know how she voted?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Beck is going to have a field day with this.  "Democrats, have you lost your SOULS????"
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And what a surprise, all Dems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I couldn't find Pelosi's vote. Anyone know how she voted?

I believe she's a senator. I would be curious as to how the Senate vote went. I'm curious as to what 10 did not vote.

ETA: I know she's speaker of the house, you mongloids!  Doesn't the SOH still cast a vote?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#21]
As Rush said, they will disband as ACORN and start back up as PEANUT.    Same bad actors, same slimy actions.

Maybe after they sell of the office equipment etc. they will take a short hiatus in the Bahamas then back to work, sucking us dry.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Wait a minute, does that say Ron Paul didn't vote?  Where is the AR15.com champion when we needed him?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe she's a senator.  I would be curious as to how the Senate vote went.  I'm curious as to what 10 did not vote.

No, she is Speaker of the House.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe she's a senator.  I would be curious as to how the Senate vote went.  I'm curious as to what 10 did not vote.

Bro, seriously, study up on the structure of Congress before Jay Leno stops you on the street.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Funny how no one has remarked that this student loan bill effectively forces students under the color of law to get their student loans EXCLUSIVELY from the Federal Government.  We just won a battle and mistakenly believed we won the war.

Yahoo

WASHINGTON – The House is poised to vote to push private lenders out of the federal college loan business and massively expand the government's own lending program.

Following a day of debate, House lawmakers were expected to approve on Thursday a student aid bill that has widespread support, including from the White House. The measure will then go to the Senate, where its fate is somewhat less certain.

Putting the government in charge of all federal loans would save taxpayers an estimated $87 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The CBO says the figure could be much lower, $47 billion, when administrative costs and market conditions are considered.

The money would boost Pell Grants for needy students, increasing the maximum grant by $1,400 to $6,900 over the next decade. It also would pay for a new college completion fund, community college reforms and more college aid for veterans.

"No student in this great country of ours should have to mortgage their future to pursue their dreams," said the bill's sponsor, California Democratic Rep. George Miller, chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee.

Yet the money also would be spent on things that don't help pay for college, such as construction at K-12 schools and new preschool programs.

And while the measure would increase Pell Grants, it would do nothing to curb college costs, which rise much faster than Pell Grants do.

As consumers, college students probably wouldn't notice much difference in their loans, which they would get through their schools. Broadly speaking, the bill doesn't do much to make loans cheaper or help pay them off.

It does keep interest rates for need-based federal loans from jumping from 3.4 percent currently to 6.8 percent as scheduled in 2012. Rates for most other loans would remain at 6.8 percent.

Still, the bill's changes to federal college aid programs would be the most sweeping since their creation in the 1960s and would fulfill a campaign promise by President Barack Obama.

The measure would end the subsidized loan program under which private lenders made $56 billion in government-backed loans to more than 6 million students last year, compared with $14 billion in direct loans from the government.

The bill would also shorten the labyrinthine college aid form, which Obama proposed to eliminate altogether when he ran for president.

Republican critics argue it is wrong to put the government in near-total control of student lending.

"Ask yourselves whether another government takeover is what we need right now," said Minnesota Rep. John Kline, senior Republican on the Education Committee.

Many also worry about job losses in their districts. Private lenders employ more than 30,000 people whose jobs depend on the subsidized loan program, and the industry says many would be laid off.

Employees of Sallie Mae, the biggest student lender, have been trying to involve local leaders in the issue and recently held a series of town hall meetings and petition drives in Pennsylvania, Florida, Delaware, New York and Indiana.

The Reston, Va.-based lender has about 8,500 employees in the program and probably would lay off about 30 percent of those workers. It still will have contracts to service federal loans.

Democratic Rep. David Wu of Oregon said lenders still could make all the loans they want. "What will not happen anymore is making those student loans with taxpayer subsidies," he said.

Under the measure, Pell Grants would rise slightly more than inflation over the next decade, increasing on average by about 2.6 percent yearly, according to the bill's sponsors.

However, the grants would still depend on annual spending bills and could rise less than promised, as has happened in the past.

Obama originally proposed to take Pell Grants out of lawmakers' hands entirely, making the program an entitlement like Social Security and Medicare, which would have cost an estimated $117 billion — more than lawmakers have to spend.

we just cant win

everything has to be attached to something else.  why the hell cant their be a stand alone bill for it

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, she's Speaker of the House, I saw the sign for her office last week in a corridor of the Capitol.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#27]
So is Soros going to be able to fund that POS completely out of pocket?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#28]

n/m

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yahoo

YEah, f'rs...catching up on the bill; one I missed with all the other crap going on.  Looks like they just put Sallie Mae out of business and pulled student loans away from the banks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, she is Speaker of the House.  

Yeah, doesn't the speaker get to vote?

Or, does the fact that she is "clueless" about the senate vote excuse her?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Beck is going to have a field day with this.  "Democrats, have you lost your SOULS????"

I can just imagine him saying that!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wait a minute, does that say Ron Paul didn't vote?  Where is the AR15.com champion when we needed him?

He was probably chasing black helicopters outside
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As Rush said, they will disband as ACORN and start back up as PEANUT.    Same bad actors, same slimy actions.

Maybe after they sell of the office equipment etc. they will take a short hiatus in the Bahamas then back to work, sucking us dry.

+1   Next week it will be the same people...just a different name.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude ... she is the Speaker of the House.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, talk about damned if you do, damned if you dont.
Those are veto-proof numbers in both houses. More like he either signs it or doesn't sign it. Either way, it'll become law.

If he signs it, that's an entire organization under the bus.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Baldwin
Becerra
Brady (PA)
Brown, Corrine
Butterfield
Capuano
Carson (IN)
Castor (FL)
Cleaver
Clyburn
Crowley
Cummings
Davis (IL)
DeGette
Delahunt
Doyle
Edwards (MD)
Ellison
Engel
Fattah
Filner
Fudge
Green, Al
Grijalva
Hinchey
Hirono
Holt
Honda
Jackson (IL)
Jackson-Lee (TX)
Johnson, E. B.
Kilpatrick (MI)
Kucinich
Larsen (WA)
Lee (CA)
Lewis (GA)
Lynch
Markey (MA)
McCollum
McDermott
McGovern
Meeks (NY)
Mollohan
Moore (WI)
Moran (VA)
Nadler (NY)
Neal (MA)
Olver
Pallone
Pascrell
Payne
Polis (CO)
Price (NC)
Rahall
Rangel
Roybal-Allard
Rush
Sánchez, Linda T.
Schakowsky
Scott (GA)
Scott (VA)
Serrano
Sherman
Sires
Slaughter
Stark
Thompson (MS)
Towns
Tsongas
Velázquez
Waters
Watson
Waxman
Wexler
Woolsey

This asswipe is my rep.  His district is predominantly inner city minority, except the south/southwestern fringe of conservative white folks.  He is voting lock, stock, and barrel with Kenya and Co.  So this doesn't surprise me at all.  In fact, i wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't utilize the services of ACORN IYKWIM.  His grandmother made WSJ news by bussing people to multiple polls.  And people wonder why IN instituted voter ID requirements.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh my, without ACORN where will the Dems get the extra votes they were counting on next year?  I'm betting that if you look at the nay voters and their upcoming races; much will be revealed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Senate.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Baldwin

Becerra

Brady (PA)

Brown, Corrine

Butterfield

Capuano

Carson (IN)

Castor (FL)

Cleaver

Clyburn

Crowley

Cummings

Davis (IL)

DeGette

Delahunt

Doyle

Edwards (MD)

Ellison (MN)

Engel

Fattah

Filner

Fudge

Green, Al

Grijalva

Hinchey

Hirono

Holt

Honda

Jackson (IL)

Jackson-Lee (TX)

Johnson, E. B.

Kilpatrick (MI)

Kucinich

Larsen (WA)

Lee (CA)

Lewis (GA)

Lynch

Markey (MA)

McCollum

McDermott

McGovern

Meeks (NY)

Mollohan

Moore (WI)

Moran (VA)

Nadler (NY)

Neal (MA)

Olver

Pallone

Pascrell

Payne

Polis (CO)

Price (NC)

Rahall

Rangel

Roybal-Allard

Rush

Sánchez, Linda T.

Schakowsky

Scott (GA)

Scott (VA)

Serrano

Sherman

Sires

Slaughter

Stark

Thompson (MS)

Towns

Tsongas

Velázquez

Waters

Watson

Waxman

Wexler

Woolsey

Surprise Surprise Surprise

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bro, seriously, study up on the structure of Congress before Jay Leno stops you on the street.

At least don't be wearing an ARFCOM shirt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Color me surprised that Lewis from GA voted No.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can just imagine him saying that!

He said it yesterday or the day before.

In fact, I think he's said it a few times.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Wexler, one of those who voted against defunding acorn is the congressman from my district.

The piece of shit; he hasn't even been a legal resident of the district he represents.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Glen Beck now has two notches in his six shooter.  One for Van Johson and one for ACORN.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Glen Beck now has two notches in his six shooter. One for Van Johson and one for ACORN.

Yes because those kids just flew all over the place and did all the work.

Glen reported it
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, Beck is on fire!

Does this vote have any actual impact on funding?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the Senate. This one is from the House.

BTW, it appears to me that ACORN just got kicked in the nuts (pun intended)!

HH
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#48]
About time they get their heads out of their asses on something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top