Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2009 2:02:34 PM EDT
About five years ago I had an accident in which my airbag went off, and the smoke from the airbag had a very acrid, metallic flavor.

Last spring I drove my car off the rain-slicked road and went down a hill through some trees (a piece of headlight actually impaled a 6" tree, but luckily there was no actual tree collision and my car survived with some superficial damage and a damaged shock, and I was fine), and afterwards I tasted a strange metallic flavor in my mouth, and if I recall correctly it was the same taste as I remember from the airbag.  I thought my airbag had gone off again because of this taste, but it turns out that it didn't.  

Then, just today, I was letting my younger sister drive my car to practice.  After driving for a while she pulled into the driveway, stopped, and then, trying to press the brake to change the gear and adjust the car's position behind another vehicle, accidentally pressed the accelerator and hit the car in front.  There was no damage to my car and only some paint damage to the other car's plastic bumper, but I got that same strange metallic taste in my mouth.

I have only ever had this taste in my mouth after a car accident, and it lingers for a while.  It's associated with the adrenaline rush I get when I'm in an accident, but I don't get that taste during other shocking experiences. Maybe it's just a memory from my first accident where I smelled the airbag smoke, I dunno.   Has anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
probably the memory, activated the flavor in your brain. you werent really tasting it but something similar happened last time you had this happen.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That is the gods way of telling you you should stay out of cars...

Maybe a psychosomatic response triggered by your unconscious in response to getting in car wrecks and it brings back that distinct taste you remember from the first one you were in when the airbag deployed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Dibs on guns/ ammo/ gear/ vehicles and hot wominz....
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dibs on guns/ ammo/ gear/ vehicles and hot wominz....

dibs on house, moneys, supplies and anything else not dibbed

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The strange thing is that it is VERY noticable, and I just can't imagine it being all in my head.  In fact, I still kind of taste it right now, even though I'm drinking a margarita, and it's been about 45 minutes.  If it is a psychosomatic response, it's MUCH stronger than anything else I've ever experienced.  But it really has to be psychosomatic since where would that taste be coming from?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it the same car that had the airbag deploy?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The car that the airbag deployed in was totaled, so no.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have made a lot of car accident's and the smells of blood, airbag dust, and antifreeze mixed will stick with you forever.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The only thing I can think of is that seat belts have a charge in them like a shotgun shell that when in a collision goes off to take up the slack in the seat belt.  Maybe it's from that???

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Gall bladder?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
About five years ago I had an accident in which my airbag went off, and the smoke from the airbag had a very acrid, metallic flavor.

Last spring I drove my car off the rain-slicked road and went down a hill through some trees (a piece of headlight actually impaled a 6" tree, but luckily there was no actual tree collision and my car survived with some superficial damage and a damaged shock, and I was fine), and afterwards I tasted a strange metallic flavor in my mouth, and if I recall correctly it was the same taste as I remember from the airbag.  I thought my airbag had gone off again because of this taste, but it turns out that it didn't.  

Then, just today, I was letting my younger sister drive my car to practice.  After driving for a while she pulled into the driveway, stopped, and then, trying to press the brake to change the gear and adjust the car's position behind another vehicle, accidentally pressed the accelerator and hit the car in front.  There was no damage to my car and only some paint damage to the other car's plastic bumper, but I got that same strange metallic taste in my mouth.

I have only ever had this taste in my mouth after a car accident, and it lingers for a while.  It's associated with the adrenaline rush I get when I'm in an accident, but I don't get that taste during other shocking experiences. Maybe it's just a memory from my first accident where I smelled the airbag smoke, I dunno.   Has anyone else experienced this?

If it was a solid propellant air bag then it was either from the copper or the iron in the propellant used to deploy the bag.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Cerebrospinal fluid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Brain trauma? no sarcasam intended.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cerebrospinal fluid.

Ah, the fluid between the Arachnid Matter and the Meninges... you got Dain Bramage!

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok iam just a paramedic so this is not doctors advice but go get your head checked like cat scan or MRI. Why? A few years ago a guy I use to work with started getting that kind of taste in his mouth. Became more and more often turned out he had a brain tumor. He did die and the doctor told him if he would have caught it months before he could have had a better chance. About three years ago got call on duty to a 48 year old male having the worst headache of his life. In asking him so questions it turned out he was having a re occuring taste in his mouth, describe it as "copper tasting". Turned out he had cancer of the frontal lope. IF YOU LIKE LIFE GO GET YOUR ASS TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! I hope that iam wrong and wish you all the best!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The car that the airbag deployed in was totaled, so no.

Gotta be something in your head then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it me or does a deployed airbag smell like burnt pineapple?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
shock... that is easy one
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
It's from the massive adrenaline dump.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
side affect of an adrenaline rush.  Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But I don't think I've ever had that taste during any other adrenaline dump.  ONLY those two times after my first accident.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Blood?  

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Any metallic fillings or crowns?

Something tells me your not old enough to have any type of metal in your teeth.

Something as simple as a pinch nerve could trigger it.

Metallic in your mouth combined with a high acidic saliva will cause a metal taste in your mouth.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
SHOCK! jeeeezus
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ok iam just a paramedic so this is not doctors advice but go get your head checked like cat scan or MRI. Why? A few years ago a guy I use to work with started getting that kind of taste in his mouth. Became more and more often turned out he had a brain tumor. He did die and the doctor told him if he would have caught it months before he could have had a better chance. About three years ago got call on duty to a 48 year old male having the worst headache of his life. In asking him so questions it turned out he was having a re occuring taste in his mouth, describe it as "copper tasting". Turned out he had cancer of the frontal lope. IF YOU LIKE LIFE GO GET YOUR ASS TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! I hope that iam wrong and wish you all the best!

^ what he said!

I would normally say to ignore it, but since he is a paramedic, I'd say go get looked at by your doctor!

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like Polonium in your mouth
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

^ what he said!

I would normally say to ignore it, but since he is a paramedic, I'd say go get looked at by your doctor!

But it's only happened two times, both times due to a car accident.  And this most recent one was definitely not a bad accident - it was just a big bump, and there was no damage other than the shattered paint on the plastic bumper.  I have NEVER experienced this taste other than those two times.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I don't think I've ever had that taste during any other adrenaline dump.  ONLY those two times after my first accident.

I had a similar experience when I was a kid.  I was hanging out a window watching the rain when lightning struck the house next door.  I was daydreaming listening to the rain, then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, and out of the corner of my eye all I saw was white.  I backed away from the window in amasement, and I remember the most dramatic metallic taste in my mouth.

A metallic taste is a very common reaction when you are in a shocked adrenaline rush, as in something totally startled you.  I should think that a car accident with airbag deployment would fit that definition.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Adrenaline.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Its commonly noticed with anxiety attacks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#32]
It's probably adrenaline or endorphins or something. I would get that taste when I was out running sometimes, especially if it was cold.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Adrenaline.

Most electricians will tell you that when they have been shocked bad that they get that taste in their mouth it may be from fear or just the rush of adrenaline but it is not a good taste.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a minor car accident 35 years ago when I was a teen, and tasted an incredibly strong taste of metal after the wreck. I've always wondered why. Back then, there were no air-bags and only lap belts. Possibly a dental filling caused the taste???
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like Polonium in your mouth

WHAT is your avatar?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Blood
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The only thing I can think of is that seat belts have a charge in them like a shotgun shell that when in a collision goes off to take up the slack in the seat belt.  Maybe it's from that???

what?  never heard that before.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Blood

No, the most recent accident was not even close to violent enough to cause me to bite my tongue or anything.  Also, the sensation was instantaneous.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Blood?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
n/m
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#41]
iron in the blood from internal bleeding from tiny rutured capilaries
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Adrenaline.

This.

I get the exact same thing.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#43]
It's your soul, trying to get out of your body before it bursts into flames.

...and maybe a bit of adrenalin exploding out of your brain.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

what?  never heard that before.

Take-up mechanism for safety belts United States Patent 4558832
Abstract:A take-up mechanism for safety belts in vehicles comprises an automatic belt winding assembly which is connected to a windup assembly which includes a motor having a piston which rotates relative to an associated cylinder to drive the belt winding assembly in a direction to tighten the belt, for example when an emergency arises such as a potential accident. The drive motor includes a piston having a vane portion rotatably mounted in a cylinder so that either the piston or the cylinder is rotatable for a short rotation period upon the ignition of a pyrotechnical drive charge which when ignited provides a propellent for driving the motor. The construction of the mechanism is such that kinetic energy stored in the rotating masses of a clutch are used to effect a positive coupling of the take-up mechanism with the shaft carrying the wound up seat belt. The drive motor thus has a limited rotational path which is shorter than the length of the belt portion to be retracted. The clutch mechanism is such that it locks during the windup operation and then disengages in the manner of an overrunning clutch.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#45]
hydrazine

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's your soul, trying to get out of your body before it bursts into flames.

...and maybe a bit of adrenalin exploding out of your brain.

I enjoyed this.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#47]
ur family sucks at driving.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#48]
You could be tasting it only as a vivid memory (the way smells and sounds tend to spark memories) of the first car accident; your mind has associated that taste with being in a car accident.

Alternatively, sometimes people experience a metallic taste when they get electrocuted or their brain suffers an impact (such as one that would cause a concussion).

It's either psychological or a minor short-circuit in your CPU.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is it me or does a deployed airbag smell like burnt pineapple?

I don't know, I was knocked too silly to remember. Who woulda thunk that a bag of air could be so hard?

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Spinal fluid has a metallic taste..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top