Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:41:34 AM EDT
surprise.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D99S6M481&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Obama administration is refusing to release government records on its "cash-for-clunkers" rebate program that would substantiate—or undercut—White House claims of the program's success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Sunday the government would release electronic records about the program, and President Barack Obama has pledged greater transparency for his administration. But the Transportation Department, which has collected details about 157,000 rebate requests, won't release sales data that dealers provided showing how much U.S. car manufacturers are benefiting from the $1 billion initially pumped into the program.

The Associated Press has sought release of the data since last week. But the public and Senate Republicans demanding more information will have to wait for details because federal officials running the program don't have time to turn over data delivered by car dealers, said Rae Tyson, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

LaHood said in an interview Sunday he would make the electronic records available. "I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't do it," he said.

DOT officials already have received electronic details from car dealers of each trade-in transaction. The agency regularly analyzes the data internally, producing helpful talking points for LaHood, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs and other officials to use when urging more funding.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
More transparency
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
hmmmmmm...
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
How about just a little transparency?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
They won't release the info 'cause they know suce a small percentage of it went to US makers. BTW I'm against any more money being pissed away in this (voter buying) program. UNLESS the money is redirected from other stupid pork allocated funds and it is applied only to one of the "big 3"
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Kinda like Bill Clinton's pledge to become the most ethical administration, and we all know how that turned out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They won't release the info 'cause they know suce a small percentage of it went to US makers. BTW I'm against any more money being pissed away in this (voter buying) program. UNLESS the money is redirected from other stupid pork allocated funds and it is applied only to one of the "big 3"

There's no reason to apply it to 'the big 3'... Toyota, Hyundai & Mistsubishi are just as 'American' as any of the Detroit firms - and far more capitalist...

There's really no reason to do it at all, actually - they aren't getting in 'clunkers', they're getting in 15yo & newer vehicles, and fucking up the used car market in the process...

That said, the $2BN is 'supposed' to come from Porkulus funds... Yeah, right, whatever...

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

7 out of 10 cars being bought with the cash for clunkers program are foreign cars.....

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
What's funny is that what was touted as a program to help boost domestic car sales, really didn't accomplish that goal, but rather the imports are the ones being purchased under this program.

Good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 out of 10 cars being bought with the cash for clunkers program are foreign cars.....

Non union?

And arfcom is against this program........why?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no reason to apply it to 'the big 3'... Toyota, Hyundai & Mistsubishi are just as 'American' as any of the Detroit firms - and far more capitalist...

There's really no reason to do it at all, actually - they aren't getting in 'clunkers', they're getting in 15yo & newer vehicles, and fucking up the used car market in the process...

That said, the $2BN is 'supposed' to come from Porkulus funds... Yeah, right, whatever...

holy shit, twice in 1 year I don't disagree with the _A

TXL
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I was eating dinner yesterday and a car pulled up to the window of the restaurant where I was sitting.  On the windshield was a CASH FOR CLUNKERS government sticker.... this car was maybe a 2003-ish Honda Accord.  It had dealer plates on it, so someone had traded it in.  The woman driving it was met by her husband driving a Nissan with dealer plates as well.  Hummmmm looked sketchy to me.  

I would trade in my 1990 Jeep Cherokee because it would be the only part of the Obama/Pork/.Gov money I will ever see that would help me.  Unfortunately I own a Kia as well and it is worth less than half of what I owe on it.  So even trading in my Jeep will not help me out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Oblama has got something to hide for sure.
If the data was good for him it would be released.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oblama has got something to hide for sure.
If the data was good for him it would be released.

This.

RG

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Obama administration withholds data on program
        Buzz up!11 votes Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Featured Topics: Barack Obama  Play Video Gas Prices Video:Gas prices this July a lot less than last year KTVK 3TV Phoenix  Play Video Gas Prices Video:The Tech Effect CNBC By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE, Associated Press Writer Brett J. Blackledge, Associated Press Writer – 26 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is refusing to release government records on its "cash-for-clunkers" rebate program that would substantiate — or undercut — White House claims of the program's success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Sunday the government would release electronic records about the program, and President Barack Obama has pledged greater transparency for his administration. But the Transportation Department, which has collected details about 157,000 rebate requests, won't release sales data that dealers provided showing how much U.S. car manufacturers are benefiting from the $1 billion initially pumped into the program.

The Associated Press has sought release of the data since last week. But the public and Senate Republicans demanding more information will have to wait for details because federal officials running the program don't have time to turn over data delivered by car dealers, said Rae Tyson, spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

LaHood said in an interview Sunday he would make the electronic records available. "I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't do it," he said.

DOT officials already have received electronic details from car dealers of each trade-in transaction. The agency regularly analyzes the data internally, producing helpful talking points for LaHood, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs and other officials to use when urging more funding.

LaHood, the program's chief salesman, has pitched the rebates as good for America, good for car buyers, good for the environment, good for the economy. But it's difficult to determine whether the administration is overselling the claim without seeing what's being sold, what's being traded in and where the cars are being sold.

LaHood, for example, promotes the fact that the Ford Focus so far is at the top of the list of new cars purchased under the program. But the limited information released so far shows most buyers are not picking Ford, Chrysler or General Motors vehicles, and six of the top 10 vehicles purchased are Honda, Toyota and Hyundai.

LaHood has called the popular rebates to car buyers "the lifeline that will bring back the automobile industry in America." He and other advocates are citing program data to promote passage of another $2 billion for the incentives –– claiming dealers sold cars that are 61 percent more fuel efficient than trade-ins and Ford's Focus is the top seller.

LaHood also said this week that even if buyers aren't choosing cars made by U.S. automobile manufacturers, many of the Honda, Toyota and Hyundai cars sold were made in those companies' American plants.

But there's no way to verify his claims without access to DOT's data.

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky has argued against quick approval of $2 billion for the program because little is known about the first round of $3,500 and $4,500 rebates.

"We don't have the results of the first $1 billion," McConnell spokesman Don Stewart said. "You don't have them. We don't have them. DOT doesn't have all of it. We'd hate to make a mistake on something like that."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090804/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_cash_for_clunkers_transparency
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The POS-OTUS is about as transparent as Louisiana swamp water.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Toyota is actually more "American" than the Big 3.  No offering from Dodge made this year's Top 10.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0707
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nicely said Dave.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#18]
tag for fun
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]
He hides a lot of things... or rather Rahm does.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The people wanting transparency are also the ones wanting clarity on the birth certificate.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I need that data for some research I hope to do.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

Spooky, ain't it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
157,000 x 4,500 = 706,500,000.00.

There's still almost $300,000,000 left. Why do they need more?

Oh yeah, gotta save those union jobs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What would that be?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The POS-OTUS is about as transparent as Louisiana swamp water.

+1

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#26]
My family owns three Toyota trucks, all of which were made in Texas.  Eat a dick GM.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh he's transparent.

I, and the whole fucking country can see right through him.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL
Alien abduction?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That might be what they don't want us to see. Whose pockets did the $300 mil go in??????
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be what they don't want us to see. Whose pockets did the $300 mil go in??????

Also add on roughly another 100$ per car for killing the car and buying their precious sand to kill it with. The govt reimburses the dealer about 50$ labor to drain and blow the engine plus the cost of materials. I know it does not even come close to 300 million but I would also immagine there is administrative costs on the govt end figured in as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a job
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What would that be?

I'm afraid you'll have to wait to read about it in the economics journals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top