BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2001 11:48:17 PM EDT
A view of things to come:

[URL]http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=60737[/URL]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 2:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
A view of things to come indeed...

"Anyway, there's a certain amount of freedom knowing that I'm on a list, draining some measure of their resources (our taxes) that they could be using to more effect elsewhere."

I do wonder about the logic of that statement.  The FBI is not known for doing this sort of thing for no result, even if they have to make up the result themselves.

So, oh yes, we are on a road to somewhere.  Freedom Of Speech...? Sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
That's kind of frightening.  I never post or lurk over at TFL, so I don't know what this guy had said about the govt.  But I always figured TFL to be pretty tame, so I would expect that worse things have been said by members over here or at AW.net for example.  I wonder how many of us are on that list???

The really disturbing thing is, you probably don't have to say much, for xxx agency to consider you a threat.  At that point, pretty much anything goes, and they can do what ever they wish to keep an eye on you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Something smells a little fishy about that story.  Here's my reply:

[size=2]Where was your lawyer?
I have one big question and one big concern with your story.

You claim your lawyer advised you to tape the conversation.

Why wasn't your lawyer present? Any good lawyer would have attended this meeting, better yet they would have held the meeting at their office.

Why meet with them at all? Did they have a warrant? If not, tell them you choose not to meet.

Some other rapid fire thoughts:

If they are using a keystroke trap, PGP won't work - they have all your passwords.

If your phones are bugged have them disconnected.

Reformating your harddrive isn't good enough.  Burn it and get a new one.

Stay off line.

Why would you meet them at work and risk being arrested in front of your peers?

Why would they call and not just show up?

ZoneAlarm is no good.  They can get past that easily.

I doubt you could hear their wiretaps.

They could get your photo from DMV.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know that I believe that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top