Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 10:43:30 AM EDT
I always used Rid-X every couple of months for our septic system but my buddy says they just flush yeast down the toilet and that's about the same thing as Rid-X.  True??
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Waste degradation is a natural process (consider the human digestive system).
Naturally occurring bacteria will take care of it.
You should not need any additives in a septic system.
RidX is a marketing ploy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But it's so fun to flush it (and apparently my money) down the toilet.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We haven't added anything similar in 24 years and have had no issues w/ a family of 3.  Stop spending money on Rid-X and take the fam out to dinner instead
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The guy who pumped out my septic recommended against using anything, and said that some of the additives cause more harm than good. He did say that if I chose to add anything, it should be plain yeast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
over on another forum this comes up couple times a year.. EVERY time one plumber says it works and you should do it, another says waste of money nature will take care of itself..  

So just so manythings - if you think it helps and want the peace of mind flush away... If you can sleep at night my not using it go ahead.. LOL

Brian
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the plain yeast.

True that most of the time it is not needed in a system that is regularly used.  If you don't use your system much...say a 2nd home or other property where it gets little use, then you might want to add it due to shortage of "man made" yeast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1 on the plain yeast.

True that most of the time it is not needed in a system that is regularly used.  If you don't use your system much...say a 2nd home or other property where it gets little use, then you might want to add it due to shortage of "man made" yeast.

So, I mean are we talking plain old yeast like the stuff in the baking aisle at the grocery store, or what?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The guy who pumped out my septic recommended against using anything, and said that some of the additives cause more harm than good.

My guy said the same thing.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine said RidX was bad too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 on the plain yeast.

So, I mean are we talking plain old yeast like the stuff in the baking aisle at the grocery store, or what?

After all, there is so much sugar in the waste for the yeast to live on...

The only thing needed is stuff that passed through thte human gut.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, something like 1/3 of your shit is bacteria and bacterial waste.
That little bit of rid-ex cannot compete with that, nor could the yeast you flush.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always used Rid-X every couple of months for our septic system but my buddy says they just flush yeast down the toilet and that's about the same thing as Rid-X.  True??

The only thing yeast does is convert sugar to carbon dioxide and alcohol. It doesn't do anything to shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My kids have been at the same house (7 person household) for about seven years. The septic has never needed anything done to it. We used to use Rid X (when I lived there) now and then, but it appears that it's setup to process just fine without it, since none has been added for at least 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We haven't added anything similar in 24 years and have had no issues w/ a family of 3.  Stop spending money on Rid-X and take the fam out to dinner instead

And be sure to remind the clan whilst munching down at The Burger Barn that their good fortune and tasty night on the town is all due to your fine, naturally degrading septic system ... nom ... nom ... nom ....
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
this thread makes me hungry for some fresh baked bread

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top