Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2009 3:31:15 PM EDT
I just received a Kydex Blade Tech DOH holster for my STI 1911.  The fit is good,  but not perfect.  Is there a way to adjust the fit of the holster (aside from the two retention screws)?  Will a hair dryer make the Kydex malleable enough to form around the specific shape of my 1911?
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What exactly seems to be lacking?

I have a Blade-Tech DO/SRB holster for my Gov't and it fits like a glove.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The issue is that if I holster the gun and push on it, the slide moves out of battery.  It looks like it is slightly too tight in the muzzle area.

I have a Blade Tech DOH for my SP-01 and it fits and functions very well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue is that if I holster the gun and push on it, the slide moves out of battery.  It looks like it is slightly too tight in the muzzle area.

Just tried mine, and I can do it too - though it requires a decent amount of force to be applied. It's proably due to the almost-closed-muzzle design.

Out of curiosity, why does this concern you anyway? I mean, when used as intended, your gun would be holstered with the safety applied, which also locks the slide.

If it really bothers you, I would say just cut out the bottom to make it an open-muzzle holster instead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just tried mine, and I can do it too - though it requires a decent amount of force to be applied. It's proably due to the almost-closed-muzzle design.

Out of curiosity, why does this concern you anyway? I mean, when used as intended, your gun would be holstered with the safety applied, which also locks the slide.

If it really bothers you, I would say just cut out the bottom to make it an open-muzzle holster instead.

My SP-01 holster doesn't do it.  And I'm insane.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone please explain to me why you would want a stiff, hard plastic Kydex holster when there are so many good fitting leather holsters to be had.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Someone please explain to me why you would want a stiff, hard plastic Kydex holster when there are so many good fitting leather holsters to be had.

I just don't get it.

It's a Dropped Offset Holster. Outside the waistband. Made for competitions. Leather isn't the material of choice.

To answer the question, yes, the hair dryer will work, as will holding it near a red hot stove top. I like to go slow to get an idea of the time it takes to get it soft. Then I mold.

I don't even buy OWB holsters for my specific gun models. I just get one close enough on the used market and mold it to my gun's needs.

Your SP-01 doesn't (or at least mine doesn't) push in the slide because the full length dust cover bottoms out on the holster before the slide hits it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't get it.

It's a Dropped Offset Holster. Outside the waistband. Made for competitions. Leather isn't the material of choice.

Yup.  Drawing and reholstering is fast and positive with Kydex.  I don't have to worry about the holster collapsing and the material is more durable, IMO, compared to leather.

The Blade Tech DOH, as mentioned is dropped and offset, somewhat similar to a cop's duty holster.  Rather than a typical concealment holster which usually carries the gun high and tight to the body, the DOH places the grip about the same level as the belt and away from the body.  This eliminates the need to tilt, lean, or otherwise change body position when drawing.  The grip is in a very natural position for my hand.

Blade Tech's DOH holsters can also be used as traditional belt holsters if you remove the DOH piece.  

I don't hate leather.  My main carry rig is a Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks VM2.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The DOH is an excellent holster. I hated feeling like I was pulling my gun into my armpit with my other belt holster.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
the kydex has to be 300 degrees to be soft enough to reform.
i used a $15 harbor freight heat gun last time i messed with kydex holsters.
worked great when doing a touch up.

not sure if a hairdryer will heat the piece quick enough not to disturb the rest of the holster.

heat the specific area of kydex until it starts to get shiny.
then slide the gun in, and squeeze it together with two pieces of foam.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the tips and feedback.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top