Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/23/2009 10:22:49 PM EDT
I don't read many books, and of the ones I do read, they are almost never fiction.  I picked up The Road by McCarthy and started to read it about 9 last night, and couldn't put it down untill I finished it at 2 this morning.  What a great book.  However, as mentioned in the thread title, I cried like a little girl at the end.  I don't mean I shed a tear or two, I weeped.  Do I need to turn in my man card?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Wassit about????
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome book.

The movie will be out in the Fall.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wassit about????

The love between a father and son, set in post apocalyptic America.

Very depressing, but amazing.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]

I was just about to post that.

I guess I'll embed it...
ETA: I guess I won't, because it turns out "Embedding [of that Youtube video] has been disabled by request"

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
good stuff, in before the haters tho
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Great book.

The movie has been delayed for months. I'm not sure that is a good sign.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]

That stupid trailer makes it look as if the 'calamity' in the book is some kind of "climate change" bullshit...

I really hope they don't screw it up.

Although McCarthy never says it, a nuclear attack of some kind seems to be the disaster that occurs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome book.

The movie will be out in the Fall.

Seriously?  If they don't fuck it up, it'll be awesome.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the best books I have read in a long time.

Powerful writing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great book.

The movie has been delayed for months years. I'm not sure that is a good sign.

The studio was having distribution problems.

It got worked out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wassit about????

The love between a father and son, set in post apocalyptic America.

Very depressing, but amazing.

Yes it is, on both counts.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Powerful writing.

If you haven't read Blood Meridian, yet, then get your ass to the bookstore tomorrow.

It's mind-blowing. Seriously.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That stupid trailer makes it look as if the 'calamity' in the book is some kind of "climate change" bullshit...

Although McCarthy never says it, a nuclear attack of some kind seems to be the disaster that occurs.

Most def. a nuclear attack, I'd say.  If they do tie it into the climate change bs, it would ruin the movie

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked it
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Actually, I always got the impression that it was volcanoes or maybe a meteor storm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most def. a nuclear attack, I'd say.  If they do tie it into the climate change bs, it would ruin the movie

Did you watch the trailer yet?

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powerful writing.

If you haven't read Blood Meridian, yet, then get your ass to the bookstore tomorrow.

What's that one about?

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy shit.

When is this coming out?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I always got the impression that it was volcanoes or maybe a meteor storm.

Could be. He's very cryptic about it, because the characters prolly don't even know.

That's the beauty of McCarthy. His writing style leaves out details to force the reader to use his/her imagination. He's not gonna give you any information that the characters don't have.

It's pure genius.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool trailer, I guess a 38 is all you need after all
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you watch the trailer yet?

I'm on dial-up.  I can't watch jack over the computer

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of those occurred to me while I was reading it, but now that you mention it, those are both plausible.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powerful writing.

What's that one about?

OMG!

Mexican city states hire these cowboys to come down and kill indians.

They go on a raping/killing spree and freaking KILL EVERYONE they come in contact with. It's unbelievably beautiful and terribly violent all at the same time.

The actual style of the book is on par with Moby Dick.

There are sentences in that book that changed my life...

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He only has two bullets.

Dude obviously didn't visit the Survival Forum, before the SHTF.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powerful writing.

What's that one about?

OMG!

Mexican city states hire these cowboys to come down and kill indians.

They go on a raping/killing spree and freaking KILL EVERYONE they come in contact with. It's unbelievably beautiful and terribly violent all at the same time.

The actual style of the book is on par with Moby Dick.

There are sentences in that book that changed my life...

I will have to look up these books at the library.

Would you mind quoting some of the sentences that moved you so?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never considered the volcano angle.  I thought it was meteors or some other natural cause that was beyond control and not man made.

Although I really enjoyed the book, can someone please tell me what the significance of the last page is? (I don't want to spell it out and ruin it for future readers here)
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I for one welcome the end of the world as we know it. I won't shed a tear. The quicker Jesus comes back the better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Another end of the world, zombie, apocalypse, fucking movie.

Ar15's wet dream...

All played out.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Finishing a book soon, so tagging for the next one.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ar15's wet dream...

All played out.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Not a bad read. Didn't find it that emotional though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#33]
yep, i too read it in a day, i thought it was that good. the "climate" bullshit in the trailer isnt in the movie. Author never mentions what the catastrophe is. i believe it was the calderas under yellowstone, coupled with mass volcanic eruptions all over the world. thats the only reason i can think of as why ash is still  falling almost a decade after the initial whatever the fuck happened. there are no more living things. no moss, no bugs, no trees, weeds, NOTHING. its fucking brutal. i read something about the yellowed water in the streams being a symptom of volcanic issues so im siding strongly with the "earth had a fucking seizure and vomited lava and sulphur and death over and over and over again until everything died". sorry, but im down for zombies but not that shit.

and i didnt cry at all. it toughend my soul, but there was no cry cry, sorry

eta- protip- if that made you cry, dont read the fox and the hound.i read that shit when i was a little boy and i cried.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I read a lot, along the lines of 50 or so books a year & The Road is one of the best books I have ever read.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#35]
..........hummmmmm
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

yep, i too read it in a day, i thought it was that good. the "climate" bullshit in the trailer isnt in the movie. Author never mentions what the catastrophe is. i believe it was the calderas under yellowstone, coupled with mass volcanic eruptions all over the world. thats the only reason i can think of as why ash is still falling almost a decade after the initial whatever the fuck happened. there are no more living things. no moss, no bugs, no trees, weeds, NOTHING. its fucking brutal. i read something about the yellowed water in the streams being a symptom of volcanic issues so im siding strongly with the "earth had a fucking seizure and vomited lava and sulphur and death over and over and over again until everything died". sorry, but im down for zombies but not that shit.
and i didnt cry at all. it toughend my soul, but there was no cry cry, sorry

eta- protip- if that made you cry, dont read the fox and the hound.i read that shit when i was a little boy and i cried.

Ummmm...... I don't think that means what you think it means.
The book was well done, but it is boring and uneventful by its very design. Nothing wrong with that, if you want to be filled with despair and monotony (just as the characters were).

However, when I read a book, I'm looking for entertainment. Everytime something started to build and boil in the book... it fizzled into more nothing.

Again, it was good. But not a good read.

I read a lot, along the lines of 50 or so books a year & The Road is one of the best books I have ever read

Whoa.  You must have found a connection I don't have.   What are some other books you've enjoyed?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yup... Imbroglio had it right all along

My wife Charlize made an excellent choice for this movie.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#38]
The book captured very well the love I feel for my son.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ar15's wet dream...

All played out.

I don't think many people that read the book would agree with you

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I just read The Road a few weeks ago, immediatly followed by Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Both good books, but pretty depressing. I need a happy book
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just read The Road a few weeks ago, immediatly followed by Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. Both good books, but pretty depressing. I need a happy book

Lucifer's Hammer? (at least it has a happy ending)

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#42]
taggage

I cried when I read The Education of Little Tree
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished reading it for a second time. Not as depressing as the first go around.
Damn fine book, though.
However, I prefer No Country for Old Men.
I'm gonna try and find another book by McCarthy for the flight back to the States.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucifer's Hammer? (at least it has a happy ending)

I think Lucifer's Hammer is going to be my next read.  Did you guys like it?

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I read it and liked it.  Restocked my mags a day later.

My take was it was a meteor, big sucker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#46]

I inferred a nuclear winter type situation or similar- the volcano angle could be a possibility as well.

I liked that it never specified- if the movie takes some kind of climate change bs I won't see it.

Imagine using up all your SHTF supplies- they run out 6 or 7 years down the line- and all you have left are some rags, a rusty .38, a tarp, a shoping cart and some rudimentary tools and you are heading south with your 7-ish year old son...

That is pretty much the scenario.

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I don't read many books, and of the ones I do read, they are almost never fiction.  I picked up The Road by McCarthy and started to read it about 9 last night, and couldn't put it down untill I finished it at 2 this morning.  What a great book.  However, as mentioned in the thread title, I cried like a little girl at the end.  I don't mean I shed a tear or two, I weeped.  Do I need to turn in my man card?

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I was literally sobbing at the end.

The author is an older dad with a young kid, and I think the meaning of the book has a lot to do with that: ushering your child into the future when you know you will die, and that the world you want him to survive in can be very heartless and cruel. And the end goal, even when you work very hard toward it, is ultimately unknown.

It's a very powerful book.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Absolutely amazing book. The movie will suck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Ar15's wet dream...

All played out.

Unlike a lot of those "wet dream" books, The Road is actually excellent, well-written literature.

For me, it's impact is in it's meaning and symbolism, not the details of what exactly happened to the world, or who kills who. If you're just looking for a superficial, zombie, kill-each-other, survivalist book, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ar15's wet dream...

All played out.

No zombies.

But most people do turn into cannibals.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top