Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2009 11:28:21 AM EDT
I have a old 90 Caddy that is forever leaking power steering fluid. Well we were out checking the fluids on the thing and my brother grabbed the wrong container and filled the power steering reservoir with about half a quart of transmission fluid! Will it hurt it? Do I have to drain it? Will it just leak out over the next week like it usually does with no harm? Advice desperately needed! thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It's about the same thing honestly. Pretty sure they're interchangeable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Some you can some you can't. I don't know about yours but my 89 F150 I used to put ATF in the power steering.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll be fine. ATF and PS fluid are pretty similar fluids anyway.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't worry about it. The Land Rovers I work on spec Dexron as power steering fluid. It will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I will let him live.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]

power steering & atf basically same thing. dont worry about it . brake fluid is something different than the others.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a old 90 Caddy that is forever leaking power steering fluid. Well we were out checking the fluids on the thing and my brother grabbed the wrong container and filled the power steering reservoir with about half a quart of transmission fluid! Will it hurt it? Do I have to drain it? Will it just leak out over the next week like it usually does with no harm? Advice desperately needed! thanks.

Relax... your caddy will be fine.

On that car it's interchangeable.

Now if you had a Honda it would be a different story. But older American iron will take it just fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
My 07 Mustang and 00 Crown Vic both use Mercon ATF in the power steering. However, if you added ATF into the Cobalt's power steering or some of the newer cars then you're in trouble because modern power assist systems are not hydraulic. My SS/TC has an electric motor in the steering column that provides the assist, sort of like a force feedback wheel on the PC or PS3.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
whew!
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't mean to highjack your thread but since the answer seems to be that it will be ok, I have another related question for the hive. I have a power steering leak on my 96 cherokee also. I am wondering now if tansmission fluid stop a leak could be used in the power steering?
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't mean to highjack your thread but since the answer seems to be that it will be ok, I have another related question for the hive. I have a power steering leak on my 96 cherokee also. I am wondering now if tansmission fluid stop a leak could be used in the power steering?

Well I tried the power steering stop leak in mine and it didnt work so the ATF stuff cant hurt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My 07 Mustang and 00 Crown Vic both use Mercon ATF in the power steering. However, if you added ATF into the Cobalt's power steering or some of the newer cars then you're in trouble because modern power assist systems are not hydraulic. My SS/TC has an electric motor in the steering column that provides the assist, sort of like a force feedback wheel on the PC or PS3.

Why would there even be a reservoir for hydraulic power steering fluid on a car with electric power steering?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Well it's been three days now with no problems. Thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top