Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2009 4:50:15 PM EDT
Light has been on for a while, after reading many posts about problems with these, I figured it was just a glitch.Had it in for service today and Mystery solved ! Some asshole stole my fucking spare tire.    away  
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The spare is always to blame on those deals in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It means you didn't get the memo about the new reports...
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it the pressure in the spare?

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The computer is looking for 5 tires, there are only 4 now  
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it the pressure in the spare?

No, it's the spare being gone.  The sensor in the spare can't tell the receiver in the car how much pressure it has if someone steals the spare, now can it? (in the OP's case)
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My spare is till there, but the light is on....

I'm wondering if it is because the spare is low. I have put it in the shop twice and the say it is my aftermarket tires even though it didn't come on for the first 10,000 miles
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I spoke in generalities, its not looking for a tire, but a wheel, usually with a tire connected to it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I spoke in generalities, its not looking for a tire, but a wheel, usually with a tire connected to it.

I understand ALL of that.

I'm ASKING if low pressure on a spare can cause the code to show up?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes...if it has a TPMS transmitter..it will.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks y'all. I hope that fixes my problem. I never even thought of that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks y'all. I hope that fixes my problem. I never even thought of that.

Q has been answered, but I chased that on one of our vehicles for quite a while before I figured out it monitored the spare pressure as well.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope it fixes your problem as well, if the spare is good then it must be some sort of glitch in the system, like I assumed in the first place. Back in the old days we used to have to actually look at the tires to see if they looked low and then use a gauge to verify
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope it fixes your problem as well, if the spare is good then it must be some sort of glitch in the system, like I assumed in the first place. Back in the old days we used to have to actually look at the tires to see if they looked low and then use a gauge to verify

Aren't you glad that, thanks to big brother, you don't have to now?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure am !! Didn't all this start after Some stone  tire maker had all kinds of blowouts and people dying in roll-overs from crummy tires and an increased emphasis on fuel economy ??

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Back in the old days we used to have to actually look at the tires to see if they looked low and then use a gauge to verify

The hell, you say.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Usually the spare does not have a sensor in it. The system only reads pressures of the tires on the ground, 4 tires, not 5. What type of vehicle?
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Usually the spare does not have a sensor in it. The system only reads pressures of the tires on the ground, 4 tires, not 5.

this -

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
in my case, wrong
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

in my case, wrong

And mine.

Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Usually the spare does not have a sensor in it. The system only reads pressures of the tires on the ground, 4 tires, not 5.

this -

Agreed.  The ones I looked at turned on with centrifugal force used to engage the contact to turn on the sensor.  The wheels have to be turning for the transmitter to be on.  The new prototype batteryless one I looked at was on all of the time (no power switch) but it had to be spinning to create power.z
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
It obviously differs between brands, etc.
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Usually the spare does not have a sensor in it. The system only reads pressures of the tires on the ground, 4 tires, not 5. What type of vehicle?

08 F250 4X4
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

08 F250 4X4

The spare is monitored on that vehicle. Air up your spare, and see if the light goes off.

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
$ 355 later I will have a replacement with the sensor and the light off next week   I hope the one they took blows on them and they die a fiery death (with no one else hurt)
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#26]
As an aside, did you get the memo about the coversheets for those TPS reports?
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As an aside, did you get the memo about the coversheets for those TPS reports?
Yes, I should have them done sometime next week

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

08 F250 4X4

you said you have aftermarket tires. do you have aftermarket wheels? usually, tpms sensors
will not mount to aftermarket wheels, especially fords, where a lot have the sensors that band around
the center of the wheel...
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#29]
and some brands mount to the valve stem
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#30]
dt

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Is there a way to disconnect the system?  Got an 07 explorer last week and all tires are fine but the damn light won't go out

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's either extreme temp swings or the spare in my exp.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

this -

Usually, maybe. Always, no.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#34]
the common easy way to solve this horrible dilemma is to take a 1" piece of black electrical tape and cover the light on your dash with it
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#35]
It sounds like your car is stupid even though it tries to be smart.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It sounds like your car is stupid even though it tries to be smart.
reminds me of some high-ups

Link Posted: 6/27/2009 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is there a way to disconnect the system?  Got an 07 explorer last week and all tires are fine but the damn light won't go out

bad sensor
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Find someone you know who works in the Walmart Tire shop, they have a computer and manual to check your TPMS senors, sometimes they go bad and stop sending out a signal, you need this handheld computer to hold near the valve stem of the tire, or in Fords case 180 degrees from the valve stem. anyway they can be reset if needed.  Usually, you have low air in one of your tires, usually it's got a slow leak, which trips your sensor, you can air up your tires and usually the sensor will reset itself.  Some models will tell you which tire it is, however if you've had your tires rotated and they senors weren't reset, (relearned) they may show the wrong tire, cause your sensor thinks it's still in the drivers front, but it's been moved to the drivers rear but doens't know it. Anyway I don't know what walmart charges anymore, but I went through this a while back and they were pretty resonable, compare to everywhere else. fyi.
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure am !! Didn't all this start after Some stone  tire maker had all kinds of blowouts and people dying in roll-overs from crummy tires and an increased emphasis on fuel economy ??

Pretty much every make and model of tire has some percentage of blow outs.  It is a predictable event and if you are designing a vehicle, you should be aware that it will happen at some point.  (it should be on the DFMEA) The question becomes what happens next with your design?  You can try to reduce severity, detectability, or probability, or some combination of them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#40]
TPMS systems came about because the majority of the driving public are either too stupid or just plain too lazy to monitor the air pressure in their tires.
the reason for "best" air pressure is fuel economy...which is what 99% of all  systems on cars are about...emission control and fuel economy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

08 F250 4X4

you said you have aftermarket tires. do you have aftermarket wheels? usually, tpms sensors
will not mount to aftermarket wheels, especially fords, where a lot have the sensors that band around
the center of the wheel...

They worked fime for 10,000 miles.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top