Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2001 8:46:26 PM EDT
Ok guys, I'm looking to add a new child to the gun room.  I'm thinking about something in .308.  My dad owns a mint M-14 that I will inherit when he passes so I don't need one of those.  I would like to stick to an original military pattern, so no AR-10's.  Anyone here have any experience with the FAL's?  FALfile's server is acting really weird . . . I can't join their discussion boards (I get an error when I try to join).
I'm looking for the best rifle for the money.  Collectability is really not important.  I just want an accurate, reliable, resonably priced rifle.
I bow before your superior knowledge, Oh great ones . . . educate the FALless masses (me).

Ballsy
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
D.S.Arms is without question your answer. [url]www.dsarms.com[/url] Their new guns are expensive, but worth it. You can pay up to $1700.00 for their top of the line. What you need is one of their kit rifles, which is a rifle built with partial DSA & Steyr FAL parts. That's what 90% of all FAL's seem to be,kit guns, but DSA kit FALS are incredible! They run around $850.00 and are by FAR the best FAL next to DSA's new rifles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the actual link to the DSA kit guns. I guess they're around a grand for one of them according to the web page, but gun shops usually list them for about $850.00.
[url]http://www.dsarms.com/SA58Rifles/SA58A_STG58_Austrian_FAL.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from the Century guns, they are too hit and miss. Some are fine, some are crap. Unless you can get one real cheap, like under 400.00. The DSA and IMI kit guns are a good value, you can't build a kit gun yourself for what a DSA kit gun sells for ($795.00 to your dealer). The DSA premium guns and the FAL smith guns (AZEX, ARS, Double G, and others that I can't remember) are fine guns also. Then there are the pre-ban guns- Springfield Armory SAR-48 (Imbel reciever), Armscorp, some of the Argentine guns, and of course the Belgiums. The Belgium guns start around $2000.00 (for a 50.00)and go up the mid 3000.00 (50.63).

I have a SAR-48. It was important for me to get a pre-ban. I wanted the folding stock option. I found a folder setup last fall for my SAR. SAR-48's are currently going for 1400 to 1900, give or take 50, depending on condition and model. Folder setups- cover, springs, bolt carrier, lower, knuckle, stock- are selling for around 750.00 to 800.00.

If I didn't get a SAR I would buy a gun from ARS, AZEX, or DSA(premium). Then I would do what I'm doing next, building one of my own with a parts kit and Imbel reciever, just because.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to have one of the original Browning imported Belgian FAL's on the C&R list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys . . . my local gun shop has DSA's.  I'll check them out.  
What kind of accuracy do you experience with FAL's?  I've heard very mixed reviews.  I'm not looking for a sniper rifle, but I would hope that it's as accurate as my Armalite 5.56 (1-1.5 MOA)

Ballsy
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Best FAL???

I have three words for you -

D....S.....A
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot my friends FAL last week.

Loved it!!!!
Really thinking of buying one too.

Awsome rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Who makes the best FN FAL?
That's easy- Fabrique Nationale.
I hear DSA makes the best DSA FAL.
See how that works?
FN made the real deal, they are relatively rare and very expensive. If you ask about a FN FAL you will be told about a Fabrique Nationale FAL. If you are asking who makes a quality FAL, but you can't afford a FN (and who can), I hear very good things about DSA's FAL.
A LOT of people mistakenly call a FAL a FN-FAL but not all FALs are FN.
By the way, the FAL is a top choice in .308- if you have the M1A already lined up- jump on a FAL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Gonzo I believe you are correct ..my  french spelling isnt isnt real accurate but FAL stands for Fusile Automatic Legre (the weapon) and FN stands for Fabrique National (the factory).....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top