Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2009 1:51:28 PM EDT
I bought and paid for 25 Pmags back on March 20th from a seller named ShootingConcepts, his real name is William "Will" Case and he is located in Lake of the Hills Illinois.  It was understood on the auction listing that:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125259283

(from Shooting Concepts) This is a pre-order auction for one lot of 25 black Magpul pmags with window in black. I am selling at below current prices so reserve yours now at a discount. I am receiving shipments on a regular basis and should be able to ship within a few weeks of ordering. I am a stocking Magpul and CAA dealer. I prefer USPS Money Order. I accept alertpay for +2.5% and also credit cards through alertpay for +5% more (actual alertpay fees). Alertpay.com is a gun friendly secure online pay site. I am now NO LONGER ABLE to accept Paypal as they have closed my account for policy violation since someone did NOT use DISCREET paypal while paying for an auction. I do give discounts for military and law enforcement. Please email me for details.

So I used a USPS money order ($442.95) and paid for this auction immediately by mailing money order from Texas to him in IL.  I've emailed him several times, and left actual messages for him on the number provided by GunBroker too.  He's sent me one email saying that he would mail them once he got them.  And then no replies to my other emails ever.

On his voicemail message, it says he works for a company called Crawford and Company; and a few weeks ago, I somehow googled it, or found it on his now turned off website (shootingconcepts.com) and called him up.

He said that the black clear window Pmags aren't in yet (which is understandable), and said he was sorry but hadn't checked his email in over a month (so he hadn't seen my 3+ demand emails).  But he asked if I would like another color Pmag and I said any color is fine - just get them shipped off to me ASAP (over 2.5 months at this point) or refund me my money.  He said he would take care of it and this conversation was on May 27th.  

So here I am two-weeks later with zero communication from this guy and I'm out almost $450.  GunBroker can't do shit apparently because the 2-month window has passed.

What are my options?  Can I file a fraud complaint with the USPS, my Texas Attorney General or Illinois A.G.; does anyone have any experience with this or know of other options/methods/etc?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would call and give him one more warning.

Ship them OR refund your entire price.  And scan/email an image of proof that he did either within the next 3 business days, OR you would turn him in to the USPS for mail fraud.

The USPS takes these things seriously.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are my options?  Can I file a fraud complaint with the USPS, my Texas Attorney General or Illinois A.G.; does anyone have any experience with this or know of other options/methods/etc?

Sure you can, but they won't do anything either. Been there, done that.

Quoted:

No, they don't.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would call and give him one more warning.

Ship them OR refund your entire price.  And scan/email an image of proof that he did either within the next 3 business days, OR you would turn him in to the USPS for mail fraud.

I just did about an hour ago...left it on his voicemail.  Said I would be contacting the authorities with USPS etc if he didn't call me back immediately and either arrange refund or shipping of my Pmags.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Road trip, ftw...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I would call Magpul to verify if this guy is in fact a dealer of theirs.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#6]
sorry LIINTLICKR

Pursue via local LEO and internet crimes division as well as USPS postmaster genearl postal fraud.

Next time give your funds to an arf.com vendor like Palmetto Armory (sp?). Their prices are better and they ship within 24-48 hrs

best of luck
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not looking to be a dick; but often it's better to deal with someone you know and pay a little more.

I hope things work out for you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Not defending the guy for ripping you off, but why would you buy  mags from some dude off the net that admitted he didn't have the mags? A " pre-order auction?????
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for road trip
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Post this in the IL Hometown forum,
and request the assistance from an
IL-LEO.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not defending the guy for ripping you off, but why would you buy  mags from some dude off the net that admitted he didn't have the mags? A " pre-order auction?????

My first thought also...

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I say calm down then learn from your mistakes.  It was prett silly to purchase a pre order auction.

When I worked for a gun shop last year I was tasked with ordering some pmags. Magpul wasn't accepting any new dealers so I had to get with one of their distrubutors. I did that and placed my order at the beginning of november. The distributor told me it would take a while and they showed up in min January.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would call Magpul to verify if this guy is in fact a dealer of theirs.  

He isn't one of our "direct" dealers. Unfortunatly, he could get our gear through a larger distributor and "deal magpul".

Sorry dude, if I found his name in our system I was going to call him for ya and tell him to make with the mags

I wish there was more I could do.

Hey I really appreciate you checking on it for me.  Pretty amazing that the actual manufacturer is on my thread trying to help out.  Arfcom is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not looking to be a dick; but often it's better to deal with someone you know and pay a little more.

I hope things work out for you.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The guy had solid feedback, but...

Lesson learned II.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IL-LEO.

I will def. try this - thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
It sucks, but you are pretty much screw. The post office won't do much, either will the att gen. Smaller then $1000, I pay by CC. Even if you file a complaint with the post master, it takes months for them to even start on it, much less anything else.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
cant offer any advice except i think the town name is Lake IN the Hills..   and the only reason i say this is because i have family that live in there.. suburb of Chi-town..  

i hope that helps
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing substantive to add here - just wanted to wish you luck. These things can really weigh on a person's mind more than they ought to. I know from experience.  

You never know; you might get your mags tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IL-LEO.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I had to file a report just last year with the postmaster concerning a sale that I used a USPS MO to pay for.  About two weeks after I filed the report, (software never shipped-private seller ignored email, etc), the seller was suddenly contacting me and wanting to get the software shipped, all apologetic  about the "delay" and everything.   Kept saying he never intended to ripoff anyone and so forth.  I my experience the postmaster does a fine job unless maybe the thief is a transient type.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
It takes balls to ripoff a "gun enthusiast".
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#24]
You placed a "pre order". Maybe they aren't in stock yet. So then what's your beef?
I've had stuff on order from Stag/CMT since Nov/Dec of '08. I was told 4-6 months, do I have a bitch?
I don't have presales but I can see where someone would based on something they're told from a manufacturer or distributor.
What if he gets them in next week and ships them ASAP?

I agree though that if you asked for a refund you should get it. He probably doesn't have the money to refund to you.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#25]
This is why I pass up on auctions that are Money Order only.

Yes, I do miss some good deals, but I dont get the chance to get hosed, either.

I stick with using CC only, that way the CC company handles it.

Hope you get your stuff back.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are my options?  Can I file a fraud complaint with the USPS, my Texas Attorney General or Illinois A.G.; does anyone have any experience with this or know of other options/methods/etc?

Quoted:

No, they don't.

This.  They will not care, unlike so many seem to claim they will on the web.  The only reason for using them is convenience, not for the umbrella coverage of the Postal Inspectors.

Best of luck getting the mags.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I live 1hr from his location.
I plan on meeting a friend in Chi town this weekend.
......Just saying.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You placed a "pre order". Maybe they aren't in stock yet. So then what's your beef?
I've had stuff on order from Stag/CMT since Nov/Dec of '08. I was told 4-6 months, do I have a bitch?
I don't have presales but I can see where someone would based on something they're told from a manufacturer or distributor.
What if he gets them in next week and ships them ASAP?

I agree though that if you asked for a refund you should get it. He probably doesn't have the money to refund to you.

You were told 4-6 months, and expected it to be that long at least.  This guy writes in the auction listing "I am receiving shipments on a regular basis and should be able to ship within a few weeks of ordering."

Read my post.  Your example does not equal mine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I live 1hr from his location.
I plan on meeting a friend in Chi town this weekend.
......Just saying.....

What, are you a goodfella or something.  

Thanks for the offer though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I ran into a similar problem on gunbroker, I bought a Glock off a guy and sent payment when he'd already sold the gun. He said he'd return my money but then he changed his contact info, name and number on GB. I kept calling and emailing and nothing and finally contacted the state police and was working with a detective. Once he found that out he got me my money back real quick.

Call the police in his hometown and ask to speak to a detective and explain the situation. Document everything, your emails, the auction emails, the receipt for your money order if you kept it, you can even go to the post office and pay $5 to see if he's cashed the money order. Most likely the local PD will help out and you'll get your money back.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they don't.

Yea they do, Just like Nobama takes the american people seriously......
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#32]
So I used a USPS money order ($442.95) and paid for this auction immediately by mailing money order from Texas to him in IL.

USPS.

Anyway, the IL AG's office might be of some help.   But, "you know who" comes from that state.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IL-LEO.

This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top