Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2009 3:10:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
All hype.  All Gimic.

Typical M$.  They just don't bother to think things out.  No wonder their stock is in the toilet compared to Nintendo.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
looks pretty cool, if anyone has the resources to do it it's Microsoft.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
id rather play with a controller.  How does it know what alternate fire is for shooters? or how to walk around?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not going to work.  Towards the end of the video trailer, the game show they were playing asked "How many pushups can Chuck Norris do?"  Everybody knows Chuck Norris doesn't push up.  He pushs the Earth away from him.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if that technology is even feasible at a practical level today. I'd say maybe in 10-15 years it will be ready for the consumer market, but as of now, it utilizes a large number of technologies that are expensive and not generally available to all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
All we need is an FPS..
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
interesting that they are thinking of ways to push boundaries but no practical application.  holding empty space for a steering wheel? that sucks.  not to mention the hardware and programming issues involved.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
interesting that they are thinking of ways to push boundaries but no practical application.  holding empty space for a steering wheel? that sucks.  not to mention the hardware and programming issues involved.

They did it with the WII , they can do it with anything else.

Heck , microsoft is paying quite a few developers to get their games out before the end of the year. MS is making lots of money off the xbox ,and they want to put the final nail in the sony coffin , and make way on the xbox.

I'd be willing to pay quite a bit of money for something like this , expecially if I could use one of my personal ARs in modern warfare 2 :D
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
That's bullshit...  What the hell am I going to through across the room when some 12 y/o kid pixel shoots me from across the map over and over again shortly after spawning?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm still waiting for a full-blown flightstick, throttle, and pedal combo for the XBox 360 and some flight sims.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My guess is that if this is the next platform release for the Xbox that it will work about as well as Nintendo's Wii does now.  That is, it does work, but not quite as well as you would like it to.

I envisioned the next version of Nintendo's Wii as one that would involve multiple sensors placed upon your body at your joints as well as a pressure sensitive mat that would be placed out for you to stand and jump around upon as well.

Microsoft seems to be trying to skip a generation of technology that I just described.  Kudos to them if they can pull it off, but I have my doubts.  As I stated before, it will probably work as well, proportionately, as the Wii does now.  At least it better if they want it to be at all marketable.

It certainly is a skip in interactive technology that I wasn't expecting.

Are there other areas where such technology is being used in a non-retail basis that is working well?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

All we need is an FPS..

Can you imaging ARFCOMMERS scanning their $3700 safe-queens into the X-Box? They wouldn't even get out of the house to go to the range then!  

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting for a full-blown flightstick, throttle, and pedal combo for the XBox 360 and some flight sims.

Won't happen for 360 but there's true-to-life sims for PC (full f16 cockpits with 100% functionality)
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Microsoft, always a day late and a dollar short.

That's the phrase in our shop

<- Microsoft developers.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?  Then how come all of their products are bug ridden crap ever since 1985?

Microsoft can' make shit work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  Then how come all of their products are bug ridden crap ever since 1985?

I know!  Microsofts stuff is always shit!  That has to be why they completely dominate the worlds PC market!  Everyone loves to buy shit!  

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right?  I mean they would never be the leading seller of Operating systems......oh wait.

I mean no one uses their Office software......oh, right.

Who ever uses Exchange?   Wait....

Good thing their Xbox isn't one of the dominating consoles on the market.  Doh!

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know!  Microsofts stuff is always shit!  That has to be why they completely dominate the worlds PC market!  Everyone loves to buy shit!  

Nope.

Microsoft is marketing genius.  They've made deals with all these manufacturers, the manufacturers sell their machines with windows already installed, people buy them, etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All we need is an FPS..

Can you imaging ARFCOMMERS scanning their $3700 safe-queens into the X-Box? They wouldn't even get out of the house to go to the range then!    

I see the future...and I see...numerous negligent discharges right through 58" plasma televisions.

It would be funny as hell if somehow Microsoft could rig their system to be so sophisticated that it wouldn't allow a weapon to operate in a game if it was scanned without a magazine inserted.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought it looked utterly lame at first, complete gimmick.

The people who have played with it say that not only does it work, it works REALLY well.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they dominate because of a long history of unlawful anti-competitve market tactics.  In fact, Microsoft was the single biggest beneficiary of 9/11, where the DoJ got redirected to the muslims.  Europe, on the other hand fined Microshit 600,000,000.00 Euros.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they dominate because of a long history of unlawful anti-competitve market tactics.  In fact, Microsoft was the single biggest beneficiary of 9/11, where the DoJ got redirected to the muslims.  Europe, on the other hand fined Microshit 600,000,000.00 Euros.

Europeans finding fault with an American company, no bias there.

ETA:  I take it you are an AMD fan.....
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
If any company can do it right now, Microsoft can.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All hype.  All Gimic.

Typical M$.  They just don't bother to think things out.  No wonder their stock is in the toilet compared to Nintendo.

Speaking of 'not thinking things out'...
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
All we need is an FPS..

You kidding?

There will be threads about how Microsoft is recording such information and giving it to the government.  It will be massive paranoia.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I would just settle for a PC that would allow for some Minority Report type use, over a keyboard and mouse. I can't imagine how they would solve issues as simple as walking. Fuck you would run into a wall trying to play most games.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Does it come with a Microsoft Fleshlight and a copy of Virtual Debbie does Dallas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top