Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 11:49:55 AM EDT
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any GOOD gun ranges in the DFW (Dallas/ Ft Worth) area.  I went to Alpine and the lady there told me i could shoot umc 223 there because it was full metal jacket.  After a long conversation with her i decided i would rather take my business else were rather than deal with her.  So any ranges in the area.

Thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
indoor i usually go to the bullet trap in plano (it sucks for rifles, but better than nothing),
outdoor i go to my property in oklahoma. im sure the rest of the dfw crew knows better places.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
you be the judge............

Quail Creek Sporting Clays,
Argyle (817) 648-3356

ARs are quite common there.
Most ranges are going to give you flak about shooting FMJs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Collin County Gun Range in McKinney is not bad, except they are only operating under an injunction holding off their shutdown under a new law passed by the McKinney city council for just that purpose. They have tactical pits with 270 degree berms, pistol and 100 yard rifle ranges. You can shoot FMJ no problem.

Backwoods on 380 about 12 miles west of 75 has pistol, 100 yard rifle and trap and skeet ranges. You can shoot FMJ there. Someone shot tracer on their 200 yard range and burned down the backstop, so it's now closed.

Garland Public Outdoor Range is not bad, but no FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Backwoods only has a 100 yd range that was burned down about 2 years ago but is back up and running.  Tehy are plannign to start consrtuction on a 300 yd range in a few months.

Collin County Gun Range is BY FAR my favorite place to shoot.  Im on the board for te loacl IDPA club and we have now begun to shoot tactical 3-gun matches.  You have to be certified to use the tac bays without supervision and their rifle bay has about 10 positions and is 100 yds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they still allow fullauto at Collin County? I haven't been down there in quite a while. If so, what does it take to get certified on the tac range?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I might have to go to the garland range.  Is the Remington 223 FMJ?  It doesnt say it anywhere on the package and all other FMJ does say it.

Thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
No full auto due to the partially imposed ordinace at CCGR.  They also restrict their hours to 9-6 M-F and 11-6 Sat, not open Sunday.  They have filed for appeal and, if grated (looks good), they will have a temporary injunction so they can go back to full hours and possibly full auto (depends on outcome of arbitration).  Backlog in appeal court is around 3 years so range should be OK if they get appeal.  City won't say it openly, but logic dictates that they want the land for a regional airport but they don't want to pay eminent domain prices.  Cheaper to run CCGR out ofbiz and buy property for cents on the dollar (until they spend $100,000+ of tax payer $ for lawyers!).  

To get tac range cert, you need to become range mamber and take one of Phil Ryan, Jr.'s excellent classes.  He even offers a carbine class if I recall.  You can also take a class from one of the other area instructors that Phil is comfortable with, but check with him first.  I have worked with TDSA and Scott Caylor and highly recommend both for pistol instruction and TDSA for shotgun and carbien instruction.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are on the Ft. Wuth side of the Metroplex, there is Alpine Shooting Range.  Indoor; there is Shooters Palace and there is a real nice one out past Benbrook in Whiskey Flats.  Don't remember the name.  The owner can be a real prick but still a very nice range.  There use to be another one off of Vickery at a little gun store.  They lost their FFL awhile back for doing stupid things and getting caught, so I don't know if they are still open or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top