Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2009 9:15:54 PM EDT
A gun shop near the community college where I am going to attend summer school has a "help wanted" sign. I'm 18 years old, and was wondering if it is legal for an 18 year old to work at a gun shop before I drive 30 miles to get an application. Input from FFL holders appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure but you could always just shoot them a phone call tomorrow and ask....that's what I would do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend just applied at TacPro but was rejected because hes only 19
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There are some 18 year olds at the local 2 shops.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a shop and am aware of no legalities to hiring age when seeking employment in a gunshop.

That being said I have not hired anyone under 21 thus far mostly because of the maturity level of most individuals that apply who are under 21.

I do have a gunsmith apprentice right now who is 17.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My local shop has a teen that works there.  I've even shot with him at the range a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool. I am mature for an 18 year old. I can certainly hold my own in a technical discussion about firearms. I will call tomorrow and get that hair cut I've been putting off for 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
there was a small gun shop I used to frequent in the early 90's before the owner died (he had to be in his late 90's, he used to talk about this time in "the great war", WWI) he had his 16 YO great grand son working the registers during summer vacation, granted that probably wasn't legal.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
This in phoenix?
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My local shop has a teen that works there.  .

Same here. A couple of them. I know they sell ammo and show guns to people. I don't know if there is any restriction on processing a sale. I've never seen them doing that.

Go for it!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
the local gun shop... hires only relitives. they have a fat little 16 ish year old kid working there.( definately under 18) iv seen him ring up sales and show guns, but not call in anything for approval. hes a annoying little bastard, i dont need gun advice from a kid who is younger than my socks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Gun store near where I live has the owners son (all of 12) helping out, so I guess he's technically not employed. Its a trip to watch him rattle of specs of any gun in the place to a customer, then field strip it lightning fast.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
my local FFL wont hire anyone under 21. i was told that theres a rule similar to the one regarding sale of alcohol. gotta be over 21.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I worked at my first gun store when I was 16. I started out doing the shipping of even class 3 stuff to people.  My boss eventually had me taking class 3 weapons (with a copy of his license and letter that I was employed by him) to my grandparents farm nearby to test them out with silencers.  It was the best job I ever had in my opinion.

I worked the counter when extra help was needed. Many people ended up seeking me out for help cause they knew they wouldn't get the bullshit of "I been in Nam and used this there" kinda crap from anyone else. I read everything I could on guns and this was way back in the early 80's. I listened to what people said and treated them nicely and in a helpful manner. When I had to leave to go to college, customers called my house asking why I had left and wishing I was still there.  I would never dis someone from that job because of age.

Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I was 17 when I worked at the local small town sporting goods store.  The biggest issue I had was: while I knew my stuff, the older folks just didn't have any use for assistance with guns from a kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top