Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2002 8:39:39 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this card?
This has composite video in and out, svideo in and out, 2 monitor capability, and Fire Wire.I have a Asus 6800d, but it does not like Windows XP, and Asus has no driver update.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, that's their newest and bestest card. Wow! It should really kick butt. It is susposed to be XP compatible. Your motherboard is not certified for that card at this time, but hopefully it won't make any difference.

Go to [url]www.atitech.com[/url] for the latest driver.

Here is the direct link

[url]support.ati.com/products/pc/radeon8500/winxp/aiw_radeon_8500dv_winxp_drivers.html?cboOS=Windows+XP&cboProducts=ALL+IN+WONDER+RADEON+8500+DV&cmdNext=GO%21[/url]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend got one that he was going to use with Windows XP

After a week of fooling with it, he got sick of all the problems and returned it to the store.

Hardware-wise, the archiecture is excellent. However, (and this has always been ATI's problem), the driver's still aren't nearly mature enough. It looks like a nice card, and you might have few problems if you use it on one of the better supported OSes (98, Win 2000), but I'd check into it more before you order it, or wait for the driver codebase to mature.

Robby
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Gamespot.com reported some driver problems with it.  Check out [url]http://gamespot.com/gshw/filters/0,12822,6018749,00.html[/url]

I got a Visiontek Xtasy 6564with the Nvidia Geforce 3 200 TI chip and it ROCKS.  

The Geforce 3 500 TI chip is 10% faster yet, and has beat out the Radeon 8500 in Gamespot's speed testing.  Also, drivers are more mature and stable.

Goto [url]www.pricewatch.com[/url], click VIDEO CARDS, then click on the type of processor chip you want.

Given ATI's shaky track record with driver compatibility, it's possible that this glitch stems from a capture driver problem. In fact, ATI doesn't yet have a Microsoft WHQL-certified driver that supports all of the Radeon 8500's features.
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Radeon 8500 and it ROCKS!  It has performed very well in XP and has blown me away as far as its capabilites.  Plus it is alot cheaper than the NVidia Ti500 cards which are comparable perfomance wise.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with this card?
This has composite video in and out, svideo in and out, 2 monitor capability, and Fire Wire.I have a Asus 6800d, but it does not like Windows XP, and Asus has no driver update.
View Quote

According to the Asus site, it sounds like you have a Gforce 256 card.  

Goto [url]http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000[/url] and download the new Detonator drivers.  They will do the trick for XP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of all the video cards I've used in 15 years, ATI has always had the best text output. This may not mean anything to you gamers, but if you're writing code at 1600x1200, ATI is really the only game in town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top