BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2009 6:21:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I see every day how saddened we Virginians are that we lost that bastion of civilization now called West Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I find it unlikely that anyone is putting targets on top of the berms. That would require a lot of extra work at most ranges.

Anyone who has been to a range more than a few times has seen at least one dumbass let one get over the berm......
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure where the cutoff is exactly, but I would say that those individuals are definitely in the IQ range of people who should just opt out of ever owning firearms. (assuming they actually put targets on top of the berms)
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
DNR officials say bullets have passed over the range's bunker because shooters have put targets on top of the bunkers rather than in front of them.

The stupidity of our fellow shooter never cease to amaze me.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
A guy I know who used to shoot there said the rules already were tightened due to someone being a jackass with a .50BMG.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to a public range here in Georgia last week. I'm surprised they don't shut all the damn things down. They had a nice pavilion built on a concrete pad with nice benches to shoot off of. There were literally holes blown through the roof of the pavilion. It looked like someone had been down range shooting AT the firing line. There was brass and shot shells everywhere, you couldn't step off the concrete without tramping on them. The place was trashed. People can be real dicks.

ETA: I'll have to get some pictures the next time I go there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
A few bad apples ruin it for everybody
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I find it unlikely that anyone is putting targets on top of the berms. That would require a lot of extra work at most ranges.

Anyone who has been to a range more than a few times has seen at least one dumbass let one get over the berm......

It happened regularly at my old range.  Guys would put clay targets on top of the  berm.  When you explained "uh, that means your bullets are flying waaaay downrange toward housing communities," they looked at you like as if they had not considered that.

There are a LOT of dumbass gunowners....
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happened regularly at my old range.  Guys would put clay targets on top of the  berm.  When you explained "uh, that means your bullets are flying waaaay downrange toward housing communities," they looked at you like as if they had not considered that.

Unfortunately, this is very true....last time I was at our range, these guys were firing their AKs like some mad dogs, after what seemed like 1,000 rounds they left and there were about 15 holes in their target.

The worst part is that the ROs actually stood behind them and watched, didn't say much about their Rambo-styled shooting, except when a few rounds hit close to the top of the berm.

I was told this was not allowed, no FA weapons, no bump-firing, but you could do a 2 or 3 round burst, but these guys were rapid firing and barely hitting the berm, much less their target.

It would seem that there are a lot of dumb ass ROs out there as well, not doing their job properly which could result in someone being seriously injured or killed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Dumbass gun owners doesn't even begin to describe our local public range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I shoot there and I've seen targets on top of the berms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Until you go to a range where someone is standing 15 yards down range holding a full can of beer while his buddy takes aim and shoots it with a .22lr, any silly talk of shooting at the top of berms becomes trivial.

Months later I'm standing down range to retrieve my target when all of a sudden the whole firing line opens up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]
At the range I shoot at EVERY member has a responsibility to stop anyone from placing a target on top of the berm.

Maybe that is why I haven't seen it.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's chronic around here.  Those guys plus restrictive rules is why I now belong to a private club.

These guys are some of the lowest forms of humanity possible and they are the personification of what the antis think of when they talk about irresponsibility.

I used to shoot at the Amelia range, where you shoot down 20 foot concrete pipes.  This controls the rounds and ensures all go into the berm as well as controlling noise at a distance.  However, lots of guys don't believe it should be this way, and simply walk to the side of the positions and begin shooting.  They basically don't like the setup and feel that the rules don't apply so they simply ignore them.  This is the same type of crew who shows up without eye and ear protection because real men don't need that stuff.  I remember once shooting my M44 near some of these idiots playing tough.  They were taught a painful lesson that day...
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
There is already a long thread in VA/WV HTF about this.

ETA: I've shot at that range in the past and while it's constantly full of trash and used-up targets, I've never seen a target placed on top of one of the berms.  Doesn't mean it never happened, though.

DNR does plan to open another rifle and pistol range in the WMA, but in a more safe location.  The old range will probably be re-oriented a bit, and converted to a trap/skeet range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's chronic around here.  Those guys plus restrictive rules is why I now belong to a private club.

These guys are some of the lowest forms of humanity possible and they are the personification of what the antis think of when they talk about irresponsibility.

I used to shoot at the Amelia range, where you shoot down 20 foot concrete pipes.  This controls the rounds and ensures all go into the berm as well as controlling noise at a distance.  However, lots of guys don't believe it should be this way, and simply walk to the side of the positions and begin shooting.  They basically don't like the setup and feel that the rules don't apply so they simply ignore them.  This is the same type of crew who shows up without eye and ear protection because real men don't need that stuff.  I remember once shooting my M44 near some of these idiots playing tough.  They were taught a painful lesson that day...

I prefer to do most of my shooting in a practical manner which involves shooting from the low ready and engaging multiple targets.  I would hate to have to shot down culverts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I see every day how saddened we Virginians are that we lost that bastion of civilization now called West Virginia.

Well, rejoice, because apparently it was some "city-slickers' from Winchester that did the dirty deed!  

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer to do most of my shooting in a practical manner which involves shooting from the low ready and engaging multiple targets.  I would hate to have to shot down culverts.

Then you probably wouldn't go to this range (I'm not even sure it's still open).  Would you go, then say that the rules are bullshit, then set up beside the designated firing line?  Probably not...
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you probably wouldn't go to this range (I'm not even sure it's still open).  Would you go, then say that the rules are bullshit, then set up beside the designated firing line?  Probably not...

Nope.......follow the rules once then never come back, unless to confirm zero on a deer gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
yea people don't understand that a bullet actually travels further than the target... go figure

problem is no one wants to stop them from being stupid about backstops and most of these type of people don't give a rats ass either way.

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The CO Hometown forum got together to help out in a clean up at a range down in Colorado Springs...

2 weeks later a few members went back and the place was worse than before...
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Our local public range ........

http://i40.tinypic.com/n6tlz6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2igyhqh.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/fp455.jpg

Remind me never to visit a Florida gun range without being in an APC.

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, rejoice, because apparently it was some "city-slickers' from Winchester that did the dirty deed!  

It is my duty as a native Virginian to poop on West Va every chance I get...but you knew that . I looked all over for the info on Winchester people being responsible for this to no avail. Especially when this has been happening for years and years...but it doesn't matter. We have tons of dumb-shits in Va just like everywhere else. I posted in the HTF about two of our Public Ranges being shut down for 8 months out of the year (they open them for sighting purposes for hunting season). It pisses me off something terrible, but I guess I have to find a club to join somewhere near central Va...anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

No shit...that last pic scares the hell outta me...

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Our local public range ........

http://i40.tinypic.com/n6tlz6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2igyhqh.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/fp455.jpg

uhhh wtf is wrong with people?

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#31]
frightening pictures there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit...that last pic scares the hell outta me...

It's like that everywhere.  Guns are not the only instruments of dumbassery either.  People manage to tear up and destroy all sorts of public places with all sorts of instruments.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Retards like this are the reason the only outdoor range around here has fucking metal tubes you have to shoot through.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I shot at sleepy creek many times. This sucks
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#36]
The saddest thing is.... I haven't met one of the dumb-fucks who do shit like this that are capable of learning otherwise. It isn't just that they're stupid... but they also just don't give a damn.
Those pictures above are off-the-chart full-retard.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit by people putting targets on top of the backstops. I can only hope that when they do, their fellow idots will open fire with them downrange.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Retards like this are the reason the only outdoor range around here has fucking metal tubes you have to shoot through.

???
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#38]
There's an indoor range here in Cincinnati called Target World, it's a good place to go if you like to dance, you can bet your ass you'll be doing the happy dance when someone does the daily negligent discharge into the floor or ceiling and be ready for those hot casing going down your shirt from the idiot next to you who doesn't understand why there's a booth with walls on both sides in the lane.... The roof looks like swiss cheese, you'd think they gave a bunch of 8 year olds uzi's and let them go at it....
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#40]
The Indian Creek Missouri Conservation Range just outside Fenton, Missouri was shot up so badly they had to build benches out of concrete.  Even still people managed to shoot the shit out of the single piece of wooden equipment on the range: a wooden box that holds free targets.  The State of Missouri provides a free range and free targets and people want to shoot a wooden box.  Assholes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I guess I am spoiled by the public range I use here in Phoenix (Ben Avery).

The RSOs run a pretty tight ship.

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm as big a supporter of personal freedom, less regulation, pro 2A, etc. as anyone...but just as some people shouldn't  be able to drive, reproduce, or vote, some people should also not be allowed to have dangerous weapons. It hurts me to have to say that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#43]
woops
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

???

Some ranges are set up so that you have to shoot through a tube ........ reduces over the berm shooting as well as sound.

This is the idea.

http://maryport-solway-sea-cadets.org.uk/images/range.gif

WTF is that?

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#45]
FFUUUUUUUUUUU

That is where I will likely be shooting when I go to school next year.

Goddamned idiots.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

???

Some ranges are set up so that you have to shoot through a tube ........ reduces over the berm shooting as well as sound.

This is the idea.

http://maryport-solway-sea-cadets.org.uk/images/range.gif

WTF is that?

That's kind of like what we have except probably not as retarded. The one around here has benches and the whole range slopes downward but nobody really bothered to check to see if all the angles match up. I guess they figured that the LOS with just the tubes was too great so they also welded flat pieces of metal onto the ends with a small rectangular cut out. The end result is that you've got to have your chin touching the bench just to see the target.

looks something like this.

Link Posted: 5/19/2009 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Who in the hell shoots up the bathroom? They have a range for shooting! It must be all

the jerks that shoot up highway signs. Its unfortunate that our hobby is plagued by people

with the mentality of teen graffiti artists and idiots that throw rocks through windows.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top