Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2001 7:37:48 AM EDT
Hey guys,
  Just bought a 10/22 last week, and was wondering if anyone had installed the Choate Pistol Grip stock on their gun. Looks pretty Nifty for an AR Wannabe like myself. Pics would be great, Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The 10/22 is held to the stock by one screw in the action and the barrel band.  Not much of a job to change it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a buddy who has one, kinda short i think. i dunno if its worth the $60 or $70 that BM charges for em. id have one if they were $40.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently ordered my second dragunov stock from
Choate and I adore them. I haven't had any experience with the pistol grip, but the dragunov is excellent. More info on the dragunov, order the cheekpiece seperate and find a pistol grip plug for an A2 ar-15...the grip
is hollow and open...

url-----www.riflestock.com---direct to choate
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 10/22 with the Choate pistolgrip stock. It sure dosen't have an AR15 "feel". Other than that it is a good unit.
I don't use that cheesey heatsheild either, I tried it once and made a couple of little scratches on my SS barrel.
GEF
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Private Joker:
Hey guys,
  Just bought a 10/22 last week, and was wondering if anyone had installed the Choate Pistol Grip stock on their gun. Looks pretty Nifty for an AR Wannabe like myself. Pics would be great, Thanks!

-Jared
View Quote
Private Joker- if I were you  i'd take your new 10/22 and buy a fluted bull barrel, new Hogue overmoulded stock and a new trigger group from Volquartsen. Instead of worrying about making your plinker into something it will never be, make it into one hot little squirrel getter. If you take my advice, let me know how that sumbitch shoots- I plan on making these changes to my 11 year old Ruger myself.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#6]
GUNNER ONE--I've got the fluted bull and the
volquartsen trigger group...just with the dragunov stock and it is excellent....
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 10/22 in a Butler Creek stock. Oh yes, and I have a .38 also.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you get a bull barrel to fit in a Butler Creek stock?
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
IMB,
You buy it from Butler Creek!
[url]http://www.unclemikes.com/butlercreek_p.asp?grpky=213[/url]
[img]http://www.unclemikes.com/images/stokcmbo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys,
  I already ordered the stock from Brownells and its on its way. [:(] I am trying to decide If I want to build this thing into a plinker, or a tack driver, to improve my shooting. All I have on it is a BSA Red Dot. I actually like the look of the Stocker bbl, But here its not very accurate? I also *DID* have luck lightening up my trigger on my own, without losing reliablity! I am happy how it turned out. I am open to suggestions, but think the Pistol Grip Stock may be going back.. I just don't know! I need more guns, Anyone have a suggestion? GEF, That looks like a nice deal! Do you own that gun? What kind of accuracy does it shoot? It looks pretty cool, but 160 is almost as much as I payed for the gun, and is about half a Lower.. So.. I dunno. Thanks!

-Jared

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have another 10/22 question I'd like to throw into this thread.    

How hard is it to open up the 10/22 and do the following conversion?  Does anyone have some step by step directions.

http://www.wetworx.com/rugerbol.shtml
here is a pic.

[img]www.wetworx.com/graphics/aut_1022.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I meant how do you fit a bull barrel in to say a butler creek folding stock?
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
imbroglio, you`re lyin` about the 38! [pistol]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
jared, go with the butler creek stock bbl combo, and a GOOD scope. you`ll get the most fun out of it that way!..."TRUST ME"...B&G [uzi]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
be carefull not to go assualt weapon with it. just teh pistol grip is good, but anything else fun would likely result in problems.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]
  Doesn't look to be a bad mod! Thanks for the link! I wondered how easy it would be to make my own, Thanks!

Others:  I just don't know, I am not sure if I am into the tack driving thing, I like to plink and hunt. Is the 10/22 SS stock any good? I don't think I wan't to drop 160 buxs on a stock and bbl, that is much heavier. Anyone have any idea how much heavier the the target bbl is fro butler creek? I dunno. Guess I will have to try the stock when it gets here. Maybe I will Just have to get another one and make it into a tack driver? Who knows?!

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
7:
If you need instructions on how to perform the mod to the bolt release, shoot me an email(listed in my profile).  It is very easy to do, I have done a couple myself.

Private Joker:
The heavy barrel is ALOT heavier than stock.  It definitely makes the gun stable in off-hand shooting though.  Just a thought, why not try one of the new carbon fiber barrels?  I have heard nothing but good about their accuracy, and they are light to boot.
Z
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey 7, whats the purpose of that modification, isn't that just the notch that the bolt hold back uses. I hate to seem stupid but that doesnt seem to add any advantage. Please Explain:)
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Ricki,
  This mod is so, that you can pull back the bolt, and it will automatically go forward, withought pushing the bolt catch in again. I plan on doing that mod tonite.

MiniZ, The thing is, I don't have 200+ bux to blow on a bbl. Although it would be nice.. Maybe with the next 10/22, after I get an AR.

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Private Joker
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#23]
The beauty of the 10/22 is that you can go any direction with the customization, and there's practically no end to the modifications that can be done.

Here's 3 of mine:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=245842&a=1842204&p=24606646&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Rickyj,  The reason I want to do the mod is because right now it is a pain in the *ss to get the bolt release to RELEASE.   When you do the mod,  I believe the bold hold back still holds the bolt back, but to release it, it is much simplier.  Just touch the bolt release or just bang on the stock.   At least this is my understanding.

Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The modified bolt release still locks the bolt back in the standard fashion, by pushing upward on it when the bolt is back.
To release the bolt, you only have to pull rearward on the bolt and release it, instead of having to pull the bolt back with one hand and fiddle with the bolt release with the other.
The modification works well, as long as the notch is filed smooth so it doesn't hang up.

If you're not comfortable modifying factory parts, or lack the proper tools, Volquartsen sells a replacement that's already modified for about $10.00.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
MY 10/22:  I gave the Choate PG stock to my buddy.  It was fine, but, I wanted the Vortex flash-hider on mine, and couldn't use the stock with it.
 I got the Hogue rubber stock, and used the "cheezy" heatshield because it DID scratch my barrel.  I filed the heatshield at the rear so the Weaver T-09 base notched right in.  I notched the Hogue stock for the cheezy heatshield clips so my barrel scratches are still hidden.
Used the CLAW sling and tacked a BEC rubber scope to the top with flip-up Butler Creek covers.  Attached the Harris BR bipod to the rifle and used Eagle or Ruger 10-rd. magazines.
The whole unit is fairly light and accurate enough for the idea of a "survival .22".  I call it my "rubber rifle".  I also have the bolt fling thing; a titanium ejector; and the buffer.  Works for me.  I really like this one.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys, I hope you keep this topic going. I just got my first 10/22 and all I've done so far is put in an ext. mag release and an automatic bolt release. I used the Volquartsen because I didn't know you could modify the factory part, but it was great and came with good directions so I'm happy. It really works slick. So keep talking, you guys do modifications with AR's in mind which I like, cause I love my AR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey guys,
  Didn't think this thread would generate this much response. Maybe the other forum should be a 10/22 forum, instead of an AK forum. Anyways, I think I have decided I am going to keep the Choate, haven't gotten it yet, but I plan on building this one up into a plinker. And buy amotherone with to mount a Butler Creek Stock and BBL combo. I never thought tinkering around with guns could be this much fun! But, its a blast! No pun intended. Well, Later.

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Btt
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]

The 10/22's seem to inspire everyone. I've been in other forums, some devoted to these little guns, and everyone feels the same. They are so easy to work on, and there are certainly a ton of aftermarket parts available. And, they are just plain fun to shoot. Of course so is an AR, but the little rimfires are so cheap. They're like Barbie dolls for gunowners. You just want to keep dressing them up!
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
If anyone needs ANY help with this gun I have been building custom 10/22 for many years now as a business. Feel free to email me. [email protected] [sniper] I'm also a direct Volq. dealer. Always have parts, complete guns, or I can modify your parts. Lots of people have us polish the factory black recievers to a stainless look since the "stainless" version of the 10/22 is actually aluminum with a clear coat anyways. I'm working on a website at the moment but if you want some of the best info you can find go to this forum.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/mainsite.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
A 10-22 with Fajen stock, Weaver scope, trigger worked over.
[img]http://home1.polaroiddigital.com/auction/Mar/20013162053629151161107.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey guys,
  Got the stock today! I really like it. Its cool. I think this one is going to stay a plinker, next one will be a tack driver. The one I have now, is pictured below, Curren't Mods are,
HomeBrew Trigger Job
HomeBrew Auto Bolt Release
Choate Pistol Grip Stock
BSA Red Dot Scope
Extended Mag Release

Advantages: I really like the stock, Seems like I have better control, and IMO it looks cool! Trigger is alright, needs some work.

Disadvatages, The damn heat shield scratched my bbl! Imangine that, the one post I missed! Arrgh! Also, The stock is a pain to take off! So, that kind of sucks. Other than that, Its pretty cool. Well, Here it is.

10/22 SS VCSR (10/22 Stainless Synthetic Varmint Cong Sniper Rifle)

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1310557&a=9729599&p=43936384&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

-Jared

Link Posted: 3/16/2001 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
jared...cheaper than dirt.com.....stock&bbl combo, about $120......B&G.....[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys,
  Got the stock, As you can see above. I love the feel of it! It feels great. One question, Is it supposed to have a brass bushing, like the stock one? Should I switch it out? I am now officially addicted to the 10/22, I am going to get some BC 25 rounders for it. That should be fun. Have found some for $50.00 each, that a good price? Any suggestions on places to look? Thanks much.

-Jared
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#36]
btt
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't know that about the *stainless* models.  Cool!  Now I can save even more money!  

Troy
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top