Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2002 9:18:38 AM EDT
I'm looking at digital cameras and I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I already have a real camera, just looking for something so I can post gun pics etc with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of info available at [url]www.dpreview.com[/url].
If your needs are pretty modest, there are tons of cameras available in the < $500 range.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought the HP Photosmart 315 was good deal for the money.  

2.1MPixels
color LCD viewfinder
USB connection
expandable memory

Edited to add that it cost around $200 even.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
First, check out www.dcresource.com.

They have a bunch of message boards over there, you'll have to register (free) but it is well worth the trouble.  Check out the camera reviews and links to other review sites, as well as the brand-specific message boards and the boards dedicated to removable memory, batteries, all that stuff.

IMHO, the Canon Powershot A10 and A20 are nice cameras (A10 is 1.3 megapixels, A20 is 2.1 mp).  Don't overlook the Kodaks, either.  I've used a Kodak 3400 with good results.  You might want to avoid the Polaroid digicams until their future is more certain - Polaroid filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy a few months ago.

HTH.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased one.  I did quite a bit of research and what I came up with (and bought) was the Canon Elph S110 (was about to get the A20 mentioned above, though).

[url]http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/s110/index.html[/url]

It's 2.1 megapixel, has a 2x optical zoom and 5x digital zoom.  You can also capture short movies with sound (about 30 seconds worth each).  The thing is tiny and has a steel housing which is pretty tough (the wife has already dropped it onto asphalt from waist high with no damage.  It was $399 retail and came with a mail in certificate redeemable for a 16MB Compactflash card (the camera comes with an 8MB card), a spare battery and a carry case.

So far I have been more than happy with the camera.

[added]  Here is a sample image that I took with it just last night so you can get an idea of the quality.  This is a macro shot that I took of my old Sporterized 03-A3.[/added]

[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/842/images/PEhxi8CoBQIAAFAcjgY_842_115.pjpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
OK thanks, I wrote down some of the models you all mentioned. I'll probably go shopping for one this weekend. My new computer has 4 USB ports so  I could use a camera with the USB connections.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought an Olympus C-3040Z, and I have to say its output is as good as my Pentax SLR. It wasn't exactly cheap ($650) but it is well made and has a lot of useful features. It uses Smart Media cards, which are pretty cheap and hold a lot more pics than any floppy (16Mb each for about $20). Take some time shopping - there are an aweful lot of choices!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the Mavica, and you can't beat the floppy disk route.  Sure, you can hold more on a memory stick or Smart Media card, but floppies are ubiquitous, cheap and make it easy to distribute.  

"Oh, you want copies of all the pictures I just took at the beach? Wait a minute......Here ya go!".
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong with a Sony that have Carl Zeis lens. Very sharp pictures and with 2.1 Mega Pixel should be sufficient.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got a Canon S-30 that I would highly recommend.  It’s $599 at BestBuy (which is full retail), cheaper on the Internet.  Admittedly, it’s got features you probably aren’t interested in.

Based on what I’ve read, the Kodak’s seem to be a very good value for the money.

I have yet to see anyone on the board complain about their digital camera, so it sounds like most of them are pretty good (cause it’s not like we don’t know how to complain!!).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top