Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2002 1:15:33 PM EDT
I don't know where the hell that little 3 foot pipe fence came from but I found it [img]http://pictures.auctionarms.com/January/rental.JPG[/img]

TheMrs.RedGoat fixed me up with a little GS2000superduperscratchremover and believe it or not I got most of it out.  With Stokes strategically positioned standing in front of the area the inspection boy gave it a passing grade!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok would this be fraud or theft??

Not saying that I wouldnt....or havent for that matter, done the same thing myself.

Afterall I was going to tell the Mrs that she was about to hit that parked car....but you know what it is like to tell they Mrs how to drive!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither, canadian logic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have totaled three rental cars.  First one, it was dark and raining, I misssed a turn on a two lane road in rural Indiana and slide a Ford Explorer sideways through a bardwired fence at approximatley 60 mph. (Total $6000.00).  Second accident, at the Charlotte NC airport, rental car in front of me stopped, I didn't.  (Total$8500.00).  Several other non-reportable mishaps.  Luckily my accidents were with different rental companies,and my companies insurance picked-up the tabs.

NEVER PURCHASE A USED RENTAL CAR

Do you know the difference between a 4x4 and a rental car?

A rental car will go anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I rented a car in Peurto Rico and they where happy if you brought the big pieces.I had a crease the entire side of the car.Guy looked at it and said ok.Then I looked in the lot and they had 17 stripped out cars.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither, canadian logic.
View Quote

Say what?

Then what is it?  You did afterall sign a contract. Did you not?

No need to get snippy.....American LACK of logic!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
In the last sixteen years I have had two accidents in my own car, one at the age of seventeen and one similar to my second rental car accident, and none on my motorcycle.

In my defense I had been working 14 hours and was on my way home when I trashed the Explorer.  I can't beleive I missed all the cattle in the field as I slide through it.  They can be remarkably fast.

I don't take all the credit for the second rental car accident.  The women it front of me decided to stop as I was looking over my shoulder to change lanes.  Actually, I have been fairly lucky since I spent about 7 years renting cars in strange cities, driving to site I had never been to before, in cars that I was not farmilar with.  I am even more suprised that I haven't done more damage to rentals off-road at job sites.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
What not to do to a rental car...
View Quote

How about yank the e-brake while traveling approximately 83mph on I-75...kinda flat spots the tires....

It seemed funny at the time, until I had to drive it all weekend listening to  THUMP! THUMP!THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Oh well, it was the companies nickel[:D]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Well considering they run these cars for around 20,000 and sell them it really doesn't matter...

I get full coverage insurance and run the car ragged!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the insurance!!

I entered one in eliminations at the Texas Motorplex dragway last time the company sent me there. Made it all the way to the semi-finals too!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
R-N-D's[;)]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Same thing with leased cars!  I hit a possum at 90 mph in my Corvette.  The mf dented the hell out of the radiator. No leaking, only possum parts and hair to pick out.  Then I was driving down the Lodge 10 freeway after a long night at the hospital.  A street cleaner threw a metal bar that pierced the passenger tub of the vette. Put a quarter sized hole in the fiberglass.  I put some compound into it and painted it.  Took the car bake on rainy night, 30 min before they closed to turn it back in. The old guy who inspected the car couldnt even bend down to look under it!  Not to mention it was dark and rainy.  Got my inspection certificate that said it was fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Some folks say a front wheel drive car handles best.
Some folks say a rear wheel drive car handles best.
I say a rented car (with insurance) handles best.

What is the 2nd fastest car in the world?
Your rental car.
What is the fastest car in the world?
My rental car.

Sorry, just a little rental car humor!
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have totaled three rental cars.  First one, it was dark and raining, I misssed a turn on a two lane road in rural Indiana and slide a Ford Explorer sideways through a bardwired fence at approximatley 60 mph. (Total $6000.00).  Second accident, at the Charlotte NC airport, rental car in front of me stopped, I didn't.  (Total$8500.00).  Several other non-reportable mishaps.  Luckily my accidents were with different rental companies,and my companies insurance picked-up the tabs.

View Quote

Hey, Jim:

Is there any connection between your luck with rental cars and your screen name? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither, canadian logic.
View Quote

Say what?

View Quote

canadians......... [sigh]
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
No link.  I have the police reports to prove it.  Our company attorney would have killed me if I hadn't contacted the police after each accident.  

The Sheriff that came out to the Explorer accident and the farmer who's cows I almost scrubbed said they have several accidents ayear at that turn.  The cop couldn't beleive that I didn't roll the Explorer.

I don't get the insurance,American Express has coverage if you use a corporate card to rent the car.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither, canadian logic.
View Quote

Say what?

View Quote

canadians......... [sigh]
View Quote

Sorry Stormbringer...

Don't let the "ugly American" humor get to you.  These guys would probably run into a burning building to save a cat if the opportunity arose.  It's just that in this instance, they are dealing with a big bad rental car company.  These companies wouldn't hesitate to hang you by your ankles and shake the change out of your pockets if they had the means to.  I know it's not the most prudent logic, but these big companies have insurance and any additional cost will be gladly offset by... you guessed it, we the consumers.  So please don't take the brash comments personally.  Just a bit of rough Yankee humor.  Hope your rifle range is coming along well.  Take care.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey everyone...the guy that keeps killing rental cars IS named JimBeam!!!  Geez, I think we just figured everything out!  :-)  His girlfriend (logon: MaryJ) has never had a wreck nor driven over 25 mph...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Got one rental car stuck pretty good on a beach in Hawaii, guess it didn't like sand dunes [:D]

Rented a car in the Bahamas that was probably stolen from NY or NJ, still had the EZ-Pass thing on the inside of the windshield, several other cars on the lot were the same.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Seinfeld

"You can take the reservation, you just can't keep the reservation"

Rental car agent
"Sir, would you like insurance with this car?"

Seinfeld
"Oh Yeah! I'm going to beat the hell out of this car..."
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe I should change my name from JIMBEAM to ISPILLEDMYJIMBEAMWHILEDRIVINGARENTALCAR
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe I should change my name from JIMBEAM to ISPILLEDMYJIMBEAMWHILEDRIVINGARENTALCAR
View Quote

Naaah, too long. Besides, that's alcohol abuse!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#24]
[b]No car can be thrown into reverse at a greater forward rate of speed than a rental car.[/b]-FatMan

I would also add that "Factory Demo" (Demo stands for demolished) or "Brass Hat" (Drove it like I had Brass Balls) vehicles fall into the same category as rental cars.

When I worked for a large US automobile manufacturer, I got a new company car about every 3000 miles (neighbors thought I was a drug dealer before they found out-LOL).  My wife and I had a motto, "Could be worse--Could be ours", which we shouted whenever we drove over a curb or engaged "park" a little too aggressively.  Ahhh...the good old days.

-edited fer spellin'
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Just a bit of rough Yankee humor.  Hope your rifle range is coming along well.  Take care.
View Quote

LOL

No problem 50!!  Someone just needs to stand up for CANADA!!! god knows our government does not do a good job.

The outdoor 350m range began construction on Monday!!  so far we have had about 23 truck loads of SOUNDSORB brought in.   Right now I am dealing with the environazis that are trying to get a stop work order placed on us!!

OH THE JOY!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Naaah, too long. Besides, that's alcohol abuse!
View Quote

There's a very fine line between a drunk and heavy drinker.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, Jim:

Is there any connection between your luck with rental cars and your screen name? [:D]
View Quote

RONTFLMAO!!!!!!
You beat me to it!!

A couple years back I rented a diesel Nissan King Cab in Nicaragua (great little truck BTW) and when I went to check the oil, [ROTF] I was incredibly amused to see the all the engines major components and accessories were SPRAY PAINTED A BRIGHT GREEN!!!
!!!WTF!!!!???

If you
hadn't already guessed it, I found out from a local that this is done to all rentals and fleet vehicles to prevent theft and removal of components and replacing with older/defective ones.

WHAT A COUNTRY!

BTW, I tore up the jungles with that thing...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey, drive it like you stole it....

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all the concern but I have never had a alcohol related accident.  I my old age (32) I have learned moderation.  I usually only go out one night on the weekends and seldom drink during the week.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I rented a nice Mustang about 10 yrs ago in LA.  Decided to drive up into the foothills North of LA and look around.  The map showed a road that went through a park or natural area and came out on another road that went back down to the Pacific Coast Highway.

The road quickly turned to sh%t, with washouts, etc.  Quickly got a case of "it has to get better soon".  I was sure the front air dam was gone, but it held on tight.  Very relieved to get out of that, and even more so when they didn't check the car over on return !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top