Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2009 11:32:13 AM EDT
Holder won't selectively release terror memos  
Apr 23 04:22 PM US/Eastern
link
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General Eric Holder told Congress on Thursday he won't play "hide and seek" with secret memos about harsh interrogations of terror suspects and their effectiveness. In testimony before the House Appropriations Committee, Holder said he's willing to release as much information as possible about the interrogations.

Several members of the committee pressed him about the Justice Department's release last week of four long-secret legal memos detailing the harsh techniques used on some detainees during the Bush administration.

"It is certainly the intention of this administration not to play hide and seek, or not to release certain things," said Holder. "It is not our intention to try to advance a political agenda or to try to hide things from the American people."

Republicans—including former Vice President Dick Cheney—have urged the Obama administration to release other, still-secret documents detailing what intelligence was gained from the controversial interrogation techniques.

"I think you have an obligation to release the rest of the memos," said Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va.

Holder said he wasn't sure exactly which memos Cheney is referring to, because he hasn't seen them. The attorney general suggested such classified documents may exist at other agencies.

"I'm the attorney general and I don't control many of the memos you might be talking about," said Holder.

When the Obama administration released the memos last week, the president declared no CIA operatives who followed the memos' instructions would be prosecuted. The administration has not offered the same assurances to the memo authors or the Bush officials who oversaw the program.

Congressional Democrats have expressed a strong desire to conduct their own investigation of those officials.

At Thursday's hearing, members of both parties asked Holder if he plans to seek charges against those officials.

"I will not permit the criminalization of policy differences. However, it is my responsibility as attorney general to enforce the law. It is my duty to enforce the law. If I see evidence of wrongdoing I will pursue it to the full extent of the law," Holder said.

Officials are still awaiting the results of an internal Justice Department investigation into the actions of the memo-writers.
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

A Leaderless Nation waits, and waits, and waits for some "Logic"

WSJ: Invitation to indict Bush officials will haunt Obama's Presidency...
White House: No independent interrogations probe...

April 22, 2009
Banned Techniques Yielded ‘High Value Information,’ Memo Says

By PETER BAKER
Link
WASHINGTON – President Obama’s national intelligence director told colleagues in a private memo last week that the harsh interrogation techniques banned by the White House did produce significant information that helped the nation in its struggle with terrorists.

“High value information came from interrogations in which those methods were used and provided a deeper understanding of the al Qa’ida organization that was attacking this country,” Adm. Dennis C. Blair, the intelligence director, wrote in a memo to his staff last Thursday.

Admiral Blair sent his memo on the same day the administration publicly released secret Bush administration legal memos authorizing the use of interrogation methods that the Obama White House has deemed to be illegal torture. Among other things, the Bush administration memos revealed that two captured Qaeda operatives were subjected to a form of near-drowning known as waterboarding a total of 266 times.

Admiral Blair’s assessment that the interrogation methods did produce important information was deleted from a condensed version of his memo released to the media last Thursday. Also deleted was a line in which he empathized with his predecessors who originally approved some of the harsh tactics after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

“I like to think I would not have approved those methods in the past,” he wrote, “but I do not fault those who made the decisions at that time, and I will absolutely defend those who carried out the interrogations within the orders they were given.”

A spokeswoman for Admiral Blair said the lines were cut in the normal editing process of shortening an internal memo into a media statement emphasizing his concern that the public understand the context of the decisions made in the past and the fact that they followed legal orders.

"The information gained from these techniques was valuable in some instances, but there is no way of knowing whether the same information could have been obtained through other means,” Admiral Blair said in a written statement issued last night. “The bottom line is these techniques have hurt our image around the world, the damage they have done to our interests far outweighed whatever benefit they gave us and they are not essential to our national security."

Admiral Blair’s private memo was provided by a critic of Mr. Obama’s policy. His assessment could bolster Bush administration veterans who argue that the interrogations were an important tool in the battle against al Qaeda.

Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency under Mr. Bush, said on Fox News Sunday last weekend that “the use of these techniques against these terrorists made us safer. It really did work.” Former Vice President Dick Cheney, in a separate interview with Fox, endorsed that conclusion and said he has asked the C.I.A. to declassify memos detailing the gains from the harsh interrogations.

Several news accounts, including one in the New York Times last week, have quoted former intelligence officials saying the harsh interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, a Qaeda operative who was waterboarded 83 times, did not produce information that foiled terror plots. The Bush administration has long argued that harsh questioning of Qaeda operatives like Zubaydah helped prevent a planned attack on Los Angeles and cited passages in the memos released last week to bolster that conclusion.

The White House would not address the question of whether the tactics have been effective on Tuesday but fired back at Mr. Cheney. “We’ve had an at least two-year policy disagreement with the vice president of the United States,” Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary. “That policy disagreement is whether or not you can uphold the values in which this country was founded at the same time that you protect the citizens that live in that country.”

Mr. Obama’s team has cast doubt on the effectiveness of the harsh interrogations, but in a visit to the C.I.A. this week, the president did not directly question that. Instead, he said, that any sacrifice from banning those tactics was worth it to uphold the nation’s belief in rule of law.

“I’m sure that sometimes it seems as if that means we’re operating with one hand tied behind our back or that those who would argue for a higher standard are naïve,” he said. “I understand that. You know, I watch the cable shows once in a while.”

But he added: “What makes the United States special, and what makes you special, is precisely the fact that we are willing to uphold our values and our ideals even when it’s hard, not just when it’s easy.”

The assessment by Admiral Blair represents a shift for him since he took office. When he was nominated for the position and appeared before the Senate intelligence committee on Jan. 22, he said: “I believe strongly that torture is not moral, legal or effective.” But he declined to assess whether the interrogation program under Mr. Bush had worked.

“Do you believe the C.I.A.’s interrogation detention program has been effective?” Senator Christopher Bond, a Missouri Republican, asked him.

“I’ll have to look into that more closely before I can give you a good answer on that one,” Admiral Blair answered.

CNSNews.com
CIA Confirms: Waterboarding 9/11 Mastermind Led to Info that Aborted 9/11-Style Attack on Los Angeles
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

By Terence P. Jeffrey, Editor-in-Chief

Link
Khalid Sheik Mohammad, a top al Qaeda leader who divulged information –– after being waterboarded –– that allowed the U.S. government to stop a planned terrorist attack on Los Angeles.
(CNSNews.com) - The Central Intelligence Agency told CNSNews.com today that it stands by the assertion made in a May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo that the use of “enhanced techniques” of interrogation on al Qaeda leader Khalid Sheik Mohammed (KSM) –– including the use of waterboarding –– caused KSM to reveal information that allowed the U.S. government to thwart a planned attack on Los Angeles.

Before he was waterboarded, when KSM was asked about planned attacks on the United States, he ominously told his CIA interrogators, “Soon, you will know.”

According to the previously classified May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo that was released by President Barack Obama last week, the thwarted attack –– which KSM called the “Second Wave”–– planned “ ‘to use East Asian operatives to crash a hijacked airliner into’ a building in Los Angeles.”

KSM was the mastermind of the first “hijacked-airliner” attacks on the United States, which struck the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Northern Virginia on Sept. 11, 2001.

After KSM was captured by the United States, he was not initially cooperative with CIA interrogators.  Nor was another top al Qaeda leader named Zubaydah.  KSM, Zubaydah, and a third terrorist named Nashiri were the only three persons ever subjected to waterboarding by the CIA. (Additional terrorist detainees were subjected to other “enhanced techniques” that included slapping, sleep deprivation, dietary limitations, and temporary confinement to small spaces –– but not to water-boarding.)

This was because the CIA imposed very tight restrictions on the use of waterboarding. “The ‘waterboard,’ which is the most intense of the CIA interrogation techniques, is subject to additional limits,” explained the May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo. “It may be used on a High Value Detainee only if the CIA has ‘credible intelligence that a terrorist attack is imminent’; ‘substantial and credible indicators that the subject has actionable intelligence that can prevent, disrupt or deny this attack’; and ‘[o]ther interrogation methods have failed to elicit this information within the perceived time limit for preventing the attack.’”

The quotations in this part of the Justice memo were taken from an Aug. 2, 2004 letter that CIA Acting General Counsel John A. Rizzo sent to the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel.

Before they were subjected to “enhanced techniques” of interrogation that included waterboarding, KSM and Zubaydah were not only uncooperative but also appeared contemptuous of the will of the American people to defend themselves.

“In particular, the CIA believes that it would have been unable to obtain critical information from numerous detainees, including KSM and Abu Zubaydah, without these enhanced techniques,” says the Justice Department memo. “Both KSM and Zubaydah had ‘expressed their belief that the general US population was ‘weak,’ lacked resilience, and would be unable to ‘do what was necessary’ to prevent the terrorists from succeeding in their goals.’  Indeed, before the CIA used enhanced techniques in its interrogation of KSM, KSM resisted giving any answers to questions about future attacks, simply noting, ‘Soon you will know.’”

After he was subjected to the “waterboard” technique, KSM became cooperative, providing intelligence that led to the capture of key al Qaeda allies and, eventually, the closing down of an East Asian terrorist cell that had been tasked with carrying out the 9/11-style attack on Los Angeles.

The May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo that details what happened in this regard was written by then-Principal Deputy Attorney General Steven G. Bradbury to John A. Rizzo, the senior deputy general counsel for the CIA.

“You have informed us that the interrogation of KSM—once enhanced techniques were employed—led to the discovery of a KSM plot, the ‘Second Wave,’ ‘to use East Asian operatives to crash a hijacked airliner into’ a building in Los Angeles,” says the memo.

“You have informed us that information obtained from KSM also led to the capture of Riduan bin Isomuddin, better known as Hambali, and the discover of the Guraba Cell, a 17-member Jemaah Islamiyah cell tasked with executing the ‘Second Wave,’” reads the memo. “More specifically, we understand that KSM admitted that he had [redaction] large sum of money to an al Qaeda associate [redaction] … Khan subsequently identified the associate (Zubair), who was then captured. Zubair, in turn, provided information that led to the arrest of Hambali. The information acquired from these captures allowed CIA interrogators to pose more specific questions to KSM, which led the CIA to Hambali’s brother, al Hadi. Using information obtained from multiple sources, al-Hadi was captured, and he subsequently identified the Garuba cell. With the aid of this additional information, interrogations of Hambali confirmed much of what was learned from KSM.”

A CIA spokesman confirmed to CNSNews.com today that the CIA stands by the factual assertions made here.

In the memo itself, the Justice Department’s Bradbury told the CIA’s Rossi: “Your office has informed us that the CIA believes that ‘the intelligence acquired from these interrogations has been a key reason why al Qa’ida has failed to launch a spectacular attack in the West since 11 September 2001.”

A Leaderless Nation has become a Less SAFE ONE, also..

"Obama releases Bush torture memos"
"Obama consulted widely on memos"

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
MSM will bury it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
MSM will bury it

ETA:  My first double tap

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
They crash planes into buildings, blow up civilians, and slowly cut off heads but heaven forbid we make them uncomfortable when we interrogate them in an attempt to stop future attacks.

Fucking bleeding heart morons will be the death of us all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I think people will be surprised at how little waterboarding was actually used.  Sounds like they confined it to "Ticking time bomb"  cases.  Be interesting to see how the mainstream media works with it.  I bet they run with it; it's interesting sfuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure as more of this stuff is declassified/leaked it'll become apparent that "enchanced interrogation techniques" have actually yielded results. Not like they do that shit for fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
LA ? That would have really gotten the libs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
That's why I will never, ever agree that torture is something that should never be done. I would like to ask anti-torture people that if some scumbag knew the location of a kidnapped loved one of theirs, wouldn't they want everything possible done to get the info out of the scum-bag? If not then I have nothing to say except maybe that your loved one must not have been that important to you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's see... saving thousands of innocent lives vs making a terrorist thug uncomfortable.  Such a difficult choice.

NOT!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think people will be surprised at how little waterboarding was actually used.  Sounds like they confined it to "Ticking time bomb"  cases.  Be interesting to see how the mainstream media works with it.  I bet they run with it; it's interesting sfuff.

I heard some guy on the radio the other day say they waterboarded 3 sub-human POS moslems.  I didn't catch his name.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
This administration is selling us down the creek. We'll pay the price down the road!  
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let's see... saving thousands of innocent lives vs making a terrorist thug uncomfortable.  Such a difficult choice.

NOT!!!

Well we don't want to offend them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Imagine if 9/11 never happened, similar to like 9/22 was a non-event.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT!!!

Well we don't want to offend them.

Right or they might drive a plane into a building.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Go figure
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]

THIS IS TORTURE..Waiting...Waiting...and then NSFW; How WE forget what FREEDOM IS ...

THIS IS UNCOMFORTABLE...although it stinks, No One is supposed to Die; Hopefully, SAVES LIVES.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to see my professor react to this article. Hey! I think I will!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure as more of this stuff is declassified/leaked it'll become apparent that "enchanced interrogation techniques" have actually yielded results. Not like they do that shit for fun.

Indeed there is, and Cheney called that asshat Biden out and challenged him and that douche Obama to de-classify the documents that prove that the interrogations thwarted attacks. Of course, we won't be holding our breath on this one, because we know that libtards only tell one side of a story, and to show that intelligence gathering methods worked doesn't play well for Obama and his band of merry assholes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Let us know how that goes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know how that goes.

I predict that it shall result in me failing in one way or another!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They crash planes into buildings, blow up civilians, and slowly cut off heads but heaven forbid we make them uncomfortable when we interrogate them in an attempt to stop future attacks.

Or they'll just kill us themselves...
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I have mixed feelings about this. A second attack...on LA, Kommiefornia. Hmmm.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No shit......

The clinton's got us here, no doubt about it.  

Both with their libtard methods of dealing with terrorists and their deregulation of the banking and mortgage industries.

Now were broke and spending it like it grows on trees.

Were also kissing up to likes of Hugo Chavez, The PLO, HAMAS, and Iran.

I figure before the year is out, one of those groups will attack us, because they can.

I did not like everything Bush did, but they did not fuck with us while he was in power.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#24]
When they stop killing basically everyone they capture, I will start worrying about how we are treat our prisoners.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#25]
updated OP
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If an attack is suspected against the political class, waterboarding will be authorized by obama.

I know it.

You know it.

obama knows it.

Even yellow dog knows it.

The CIA will ask for order's in writing.

I wonder how quickly written orders can be received.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit......

Both with their libtard methods of dealing with terrorists and their deregulation of the banking and mortgage industries.

I figure before the year is out, one of those groups will attack us, because they can.

I did not like everything Bush did, but they did not fuck with us while he was in power.

Other than, you know, that one time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit......

Weak and lame point.  Eight years of clinton doctrine half measures of not pursuing terrorism, convinced bin Laden terror would work for him.

Bush changed all that.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit......

Weak and lame point.  Eight years of clinton doctrine half measures of not pursuing terrorism, convinced bin Laden terror would work for him.

Bush changed all that.

Look into the American Role into these Conflicts:
Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)

Soviet-Afghan War (1979?-1989?)

A Really, Really, Really BIG Chess Match
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
THIS IS TORTURE..Waiting...Waiting...and then NSFW; How WE forget what FREEDOM IS ...

No way. I still have the sound of that Russian soldier rattling around in my head from when I watched the video back in 2003.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]

The thing is that the MSM has been beating the "it's proved that these interrogation tactics don't work" drum for months and months now. Practically every article on the subject has some "PhD this, or Expert that" saying over and over how shocking and horrible it was and the worst part (as they shake their heads) is that it doesn't work.

Now something comes out that says it does. The media exposure will be a fraction of the other story and besides, the lie was out there first so it's the reality.

"A lie travels halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put it's boots on"
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The thing is that the MSM has been beating the "it's proved that these interrogation tactics don't work" drum for months and months now. Practically every article on the subject has some "PhD this, or Expert that" saying over and over how shocking and horrible it was and the worst part (as they shake their heads) is that it doesn't work.

Now something comes out that says it does. The media exposure will be a fraction of the other story and besides, the lie was out there first so it's the reality.

"A lie travels halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put it's boots on"

John McCain and James Stockdale both have said torture doesn't work. But I guess they're just making shit up. What would they know about it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:23:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know where I stand on this.  I see this fundamentally as an "do the ends justify the means" question.  My conditional answer is, frankly, yes they do....sometimes.

McCain and Stockdale were tortured- mostly because their North Vietnamese captors were sadistic animals- to force compliance with "show trail" events and to keep them weak as prisoners.  Beyond this,  McCain and Stockdale might have known information that would have led to, perhaps, more effective placement of anti-aircraft defenses.  They knew information about the performance and electronic features of their aircraft.  Could you lie under torture about the rate of climb rate of your aircraft?  Perhaps.  Did they lie about those details?  I bet they did.  Why?  Cause fuck the North Vietnamese, that's why.  

KSM is a terrorist.  He had knowledge of an EVENT which, if you believe the media/CIA reports, was foiled.  Once we exhausted the information that was of immediate value, I would venture a guess that the quality of information- the veracity of it- dropped rapidly.  

When does interrogation become torture?  Is it the process of how the information is gathered or the intent of the individuals doing the questioning?  Torture, as I understand it, is sadism.  Interrogation is about actionable information.  Interrogation probably has a short "window" to be useful.

Again, I don't know where I stand on this.  The moral high ground is slippery indeed.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have a feeling we water boarded more of our own fighter pilots & SF operatives than terrorists....
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I was real bummed to hear it was banned. I love waterboarding.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#36]
screw all statists and leftists!

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John McCain and James Stockdale both have said torture doesn't work. But I guess they're just making shit up. What would they know about it?

I really think you are comparing apples to oranges. Using the rack or twisting someones broken arm doesn't fall into the same category IMHO.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's why I will never, ever agree that torture is something that should never be done. I would like to ask anti-torture people that if some scumbag knew the location of a kidnapped loved one of theirs, wouldn't they want everything possible done to get the info out of the scum-bag? If not then I have nothing to say except maybe that your loved one must not have been that important to you.

I actually asked a liberal in a chat room the same thing; I said that if I were assigned to recover a member of their family that was captured I would do everything it took to get that person back to include torture.

They responded by saying that they would spit in my eye and that the negativity of using torture would outweigh the recovery of a loved one.

I think they were fooling themselves with their own sense of morality.

Also Hoodonit, your first sentence has too many double negatives.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interrogation used wasn't torture and John McCain and James Stockdale aren't terrorists.  McCain was subjected and continues to be subjected to actual torture from not receiving adequate medical care during his captivity.

If the life of a single child, woman, or man can be saved by subjecting an illegal combatant like KSM to a few minutes of terror or discomfort, then it is moral, right, and correct to do so in order that the innocent may live.

If doing so saves dozens, scores, hundreds, or even thousands, then we can sleep well at night knowing the right thing was done at the right time.

If shooting a pirate or kidnapper or terrorist in the head results in saving the life of an innocent person, then it is moral, right, and correct to do so.  Given that a few minutes of terror or discomfort due to perception of one's vulnerability is far less of a penalty then being shot in the head, I really can't see why anyone would argue otherwise.

Or do you not think pirates, kidnappers, or terrorists holding guns to other's heads should be stopped before they snuf someone?

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Updated in OP
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Mark this as the end of the Obama presidency, if he does indeed seek charges against Bush administration council.  Any chance of bipartisanship, patriotic duty, or civil political discourse will go right out the window.  Furthermore, wait for the eventually and guaranteed retribution that will follow.

The minute this country changes course, and a guy w/ an R after his name is elected, Obama's administration will be running for cover for any of the 1 out of 100000 actions every President takes during his tenure that could be considered "outside the legal barriers".   I can't believe this guy is so dumb as to open Pandora's box and subject this country, and eventually himself, to the sort of tactics used in quasi democratic third world nations.

Two years ago, when the tide began to turn against the Republicans, and a Dem seemed a "shoe-in", people told me a nasty recession was coming on account that the market will factor in many of the policies they'd pursue.

When people told me that Obama was a dangerous radical that would turn change the direction of the nation from center right to far left, I figured they were overstating the case.  I assumed he'd be your typical Clinton-esque political opportunist with few convictions and solely a desire for public adoration.  Perhaps wishful thinking, but I was hoping he'd be a technocrat, not an ideologue.

Now w/ cap/trade, the deficit, a pathetic foreign policy, defense cuts, socialized health care, exploitation of the financial crisis, villianization and possible persecution of his predecessor, nothing would surprise me....even a military coup at this point.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a feeling we water boarded more of our own fighter pilots & SF operatives than terrorists....

WTF?
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

They are all subjected to waterboarding in SERE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival,_Evasion,_Resistance_and_Escape
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok so?
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

They are all subjected to waterboarding in SERE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival,_Evasion,_Resistance_and_Escape

Ok so?

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

KSM says it does.  And no attack in LA.  I'm guessing it works at least some of the time.  Might as well roll the dice.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KSM says it does.  And no attack in LA.  I'm guessing it works at least some of the time.  Might as well roll the dice.

I ran into this little gem when I was searching the topic waterboarding. It's from the Washington Post mainly against the method, but this was buried about half-way down. It seems it not only works, but works very well.   Link

"In the post-Vietnam period, the Navy SEALs and some Army Special Forces used a form of waterboarding with trainees to prepare them to resist interrogation if captured. The waterboarding proved so successful in breaking their will, says one former Navy captain familiar with the practice, "they stopped using it because it hurt morale."

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Bush could bypass new torture ban
link
Waiver right is reserved

By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff  |  January 4, 2006

WASHINGTON –– When President Bush last week signed the bill outlawing the torture of detainees, he quietly reserved the right to bypass the law under his powers as commander in chief.

After approving the bill last Friday, Bush issued a ''signing statement" –– an official document in which a president lays out his interpretation of a new law –– declaring that he will view the interrogation limits in the context of his broader powers to protect national security. This means Bush believes he can waive the restrictions, the White House and legal specialists said.

''The executive branch shall construe [the law] in a manner consistent with the constitutional authority of the President . . . as Commander in Chief," Bush wrote, adding that this approach ''will assist in achieving the shared objective of the Congress and the President . . . of protecting the American people from further terrorist attacks."

Some legal specialists said yesterday that the president's signing statement, which was posted on the White House website but had gone unnoticed over the New Year's weekend, raises serious questions about whether he intends to follow the law.

A senior administration official, who spoke to a Globe reporter about the statement on condition of anonymity because he is not an official spokesman, said the president intended to reserve the right to use harsher methods in special situations involving national security.

''We are not going to ignore this law," the official said, noting that Bush, when signing laws, routinely issues signing statements saying he will construe them consistent with his own constitutional authority. ''We consider it a valid statute. We consider ourselves bound by the prohibition on cruel, unusual, and degrading treatment."

But, the official said, a situation could arise in which Bush may have to waive the law's restrictions to carry out his responsibilities to protect national security. He cited as an example a ''ticking time bomb" scenario, in which a detainee is believed to have information that could prevent a planned terrorist attack.

''Of course the president has the obligation to follow this law, [but] he also has the obligation to defend and protect the country as the commander in chief, and he will have to square those two responsibilities in each case," the official added. ''We are not expecting that those two responsibilities will come into conflict, but it's possible that they will."

David Golove, a New York University law professor who specializes in executive power issues, said that the signing statement means that Bush believes he can still authorize harsh interrogation tactics when he sees fit.

''The signing statement is saying 'I will only comply with this law when I want to, and if something arises in the war on terrorism where I think it's important to torture or engage in cruel, inhuman, and degrading conduct, I have the authority to do so and nothing in this law is going to stop me,' " he said. ''They don't want to come out and say it directly because it doesn't sound very nice, but it's unmistakable to anyone who has been following what's going on."

Golove and other legal specialists compared the signing statement to Bush's decision, revealed last month, to bypass a 1978 law forbidding domestic wiretapping without a warrant. Bush authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans' international phone calls and e-mails without a court order starting after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The president and his aides argued that the Constitution gives the commander in chief the authority to bypass the 1978 law when necessary to protect national security. They also argued that Congress implicitly endorsed that power when it authorized the use of force against the perpetrators of the attacks.

Legal academics and human rights organizations said Bush's signing statement and his stance on the wiretapping law are part of a larger agenda that claims exclusive control of war-related matters for the executive branch and holds that any involvement by Congress or the courts should be minimal.

Vice President Dick Cheney recently told reporters, ''I believe in a strong, robust executive authority, and I think that the world we live in demands it. . . . I would argue that the actions that we've taken are totally appropriate and consistent with the constitutional authority of the president."

Since the 2001 attacks, the administration has also asserted the power to bypass domestic and international laws in deciding how to detain prisoners captured in the Afghanistan war. It also has claimed the power to hold any US citizen Bush designates an ''enemy combatant" without charges or access to an attorney.

And in 2002, the administration drafted a secret legal memo holding that Bush could authorize interrogators to violate antitorture laws when necessary to protect national security. After the memo was leaked to the press, the administration eliminated the language from a subsequent version, but it never repudiated the idea that Bush could authorize officials to ignore a law.

The issue heated up again in January 2005. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales disclosed during his confirmation hearing that the administration believed that antitorture laws and treaties did not restrict interrogators at overseas prisons because the Constitution does not apply abroad.

In response, Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona, filed an amendment to a Defense Department bill explicitly saying that that the cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment of detainees in US custody is illegal regardless of where they are held.

McCain's office did not return calls seeking comment yesterday.

The White House tried hard to kill the McCain amendment. Cheney lobbied Congress to exempt the CIA from any interrogation limits, and Bush threatened to veto the bill, arguing that the executive branch has exclusive authority over war policy.

But after veto-proof majorities in both houses of Congress approved it, Bush called a press conference with McCain, praised the measure, and said he would accept it.

Legal specialists said the president's signing statement called into question his comments at the press conference.

''The whole point of the McCain Amendment was to close every loophole," said Marty Lederman, a Georgetown University law professor who served in the Justice Department from 1997 to 2002. ''The president has re-opened the loophole by asserting the constitutional authority to act in violation of the statute where it would assist in the war on terrorism."

Elisa Massimino, Washington director for Human Rights Watch, called Bush's signing statement an ''in-your-face affront" to both McCain and to Congress.

''The basic civics lesson that there are three co-equal branches of government that provide checks and balances on each other is being fundamentally rejected by this executive branch," she said.

''Congress is trying to flex its muscle to provide those checks [on detainee abuse], and it's being told through the signing statement that it's impotent. It's quite a radical view."
© Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, here is to hoping this administration has the balls to allow the silent evidence to see the light of day.  I doubt it, because it might validate that the Bush administration and their BI-PARTISAN approved tactics saved lives.

Of course, when you bring up some of the stuff that happed at Abu Grahib, that might have been over the line.  And IIRC all involved were prosecuted and imprisoned.  How's that for accountability, and showing that any and all methods were not used indiscriminately and were based only on tactical need?
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, here is to hoping this administration has the balls to allow the silent evidence see the light of day.  I doubt it, because it might validate that the Bush administration and their BI-PARTISAN approved tactics saved lives.

Of course, when you bring up some of the stuff that happed at Abu Grahib, that might have been over the line.  And IIRC all involved were prosecuted and imprisoned.  How's that for accountability?

OR Did SHE...

They "Hope" to "Change" HISTORY.

Pimps and Whores
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top