Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 7:13:38 PM EDT
Ill give you all the readers digest version of an article print in Solider of Fortune magazine. This was in the Dec 92 issue.
The standard US milittry fragmentation vest is tested with a .22 calibre fragmentation simulator at approximately 1550 fps. they test the vest using kind and knox type 250 A ordnance gelitine. All shots were made from a rnage of 10 feet using common weapons. The 9mm 115 grain FMJ were fired from an  MP5, the 12 gauge from a m1super 90 with 18 inch barrel. Only one handgun bullet perforated a vest when fird from a 90 degree angle a 44 magnum 180 grain JHP. Eight handgun bullets perforated the  vests when fired at a 45 degree angle. 2 9mm 115 grain 5 9mm 124 grain fmj one 44 mag 180 grain JHP. No shotgun pellets perforated the vest at either the 90 degree and 45 degree angles. All the 12 gauge shotgun slugs perforated teh vest at both 90 degree and 45 degree angles. The 8 44 mag 180 grain JHP bullets stopped by the vest rupturned the inner lining ans were visable beneath a few remaining strands of kevlar fabric. all the other handgun and shotgun pellets were found embedded in intermediate layers of kevlar fabric and caused no tearing of the vests inner linings.In these shots the underlying gelatin sustained only shallow dimpling or small superficial cracks. The underlying damage to the gelatin indicated that any resualting trauma would likely be limited to minor superficial injuries requiring minumal medical treatment.  THe extensive tissue disruption prodiced by the pentrating 12 gauge slugs would likely result in fatal injuries iif the wounds occured to the central torso.  Based on single shots to anesthetized swine flanks  protected by fragmentation vests a previous paper concluded that the standards militiary flak vest provided protection against low and mid velocity bullets including handgun bullets and 12 gauge buckshot pellets.  the results from this study indiacte the standard PASGT fragmentation vest provides protection from many commonly encoutered handgun bulletes and shotgun pellets but not from shotgun slugs nor center fir rifle bulletes. This level of protection is approximantly equivalent to between level II and IIIA rating.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say comparing gelatin to BONE is bullshit.

BONE WILL BREAK. I don't care what level the vest is.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say that I don't agree with that article unless the vest itself said Level IIIA or Level II.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
the NIJ wont rate the PASGT vest because it is front opening. the new "interceptor" vests are supposed to be vastly superior.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ill give you all the readers digest version of an article print in Solider of Fortune magazine. This was in the Dec 92 issue. This level of protection is approximantly equivalent to between level II and IIIA rating.
View Quote

Since I originally asked for the information, I must say I am humbled that you took the time to answer, research, and review the information.  I am always touched and amazed how kind the membership of AR15 is to its own.

My hat is off to you ConnYankee.

TheRedGoat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top