Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2009 1:39:48 PM EDT
I know this is a highly debated topic around here,but what do I get for my extra money?

I am in the process of cleaning a brand new LE6920
and it doesn't seem to different from my STAG,RRA,OR my CMMG(SunDevil-Magpul) franken rifle.
I hope it runs as good as my others
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Peyton Manning is a crybaby.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
you get to be the badassest dude on the block.

the guy in your avatar had a colt, and he was super duper

On a serious note, Supposedly, they are made to the highest standards, with the best parts, with the highest QC standards, so there will be a lesser chance of malfunctions, problems, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know this is a highly debated topic around here,but what do I get for my extra money?

I am in the process of cleaning a brand new LE6920 and it doesn't seem to different from my STAG,RRA,OR my CMMG(SunDevil-Magpul) franken rifle.

It says Colt on the side
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fit and finish, quality checks, etc.  

Besides, millions of kool-aid drinkers can't be wrong, right?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Better resale value, not much else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fit and finish, quality checks, etc.  

Besides, millions of kool-aid drinkers can't be wrong, right?

Quality of materials and testing.  High level of reliability.  Built to a standard that most other mfgs can not meet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Better resale value, not much else.

I don't know about that-I bought it at the gun show brand new for $1499-while some guy was walking around with a used one for $1800 firm
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am in the process of cleaning a brand new LE6920 and it doesn't seem to different from my STAG,RRA,OR my CMMG(SunDevil-Magpul) franken rifle.

You have a Colt in your hands and you can not see/feel any difference from other brands[:// Sorry, but you should stay with High Point firearms and leave quality to people who can tell and appreciate the difference!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Meh... I owned a Colt AR but I sold it for a Norinco AK. Not worth the extra money IMHO, unless you are going to resell it later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I never see Noveske or LMT people bash Colt.Just the wannabes that cannot "pony" up the bucks for the real deal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never see Noveske or LMT people bash Colt.Just the wannabes that cannot "pony" up the bucks for the real deal.

Who is bashing Colt? The guy who said he just bought one? Or the person who said it was made to higher standards? Or me, who said it holds it's value better?
Geez, calm down dude, you may have a bit of battered wife disease.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh... I owned a Colt AR but I sold it for a Norinco AK. Not worth the extra money IMHO, unless you are going to resell it later.

Is that Norinco worth the extra money over a WASR 10?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it only cost me $650 and it is a much nicer rifle than WASRs or Yugos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Colt LE6920 as well as a few other AR-15’s.  As far as range use and hunting you probably won’t see a difference.  If you are taking a class you might see a difference, but probably not.

Having said that, if the SHTF I guaran-fuckin-tee you I’m grabbing my 6920 because it is the best AR-15 I own.  Is it worth the extra $400?  To most people probably not, but it is to me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on pre Obama market prices the Colt was only a few hundred more than a Bushmaster or Stag, etc.  For a little extra money the Colt is a much better rifle.  Much like the Norinco is much nicer than a WASR.  I used to have a Norinco 84s so I agree with you on that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is bashing Colt? The guy who said he just bought one? Or the person who said it was made to higher standards? Or me, who said it holds it's value better?

I'm not bashing them ,just curious to here from other Colt owners-things to look out for, any known issues.things like that.

This rifle is beautiful-stock is not as good as I expected-I guess I'm just used to the CTR's
I'll put up a pic or two when I'm done

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on pre Obama market prices the Colt was only a few hundred more than a Bushmaster or Stag, etc.  For a little extra money the Colt is a much better rifle.  Much like the Norinco is much nicer than a WASR.  I used to have a Norinco 84s so I agree with you on that.

I sold my old Colt AR pre-Obama for $1300 so I think I did well... If I had know we would end up with such an anti-gun guy in office I would have waited and sold it for $2300.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a time when Colt was the only AR15. Then others appeared. Colt put a block in their lowers that made it impossible to install a match trigger. Match shooters started using Bushmaster lowers to build match rifles. Soon people were winning matches with BM rifles, but they were not factory guns. At that time BM complete guns were considered to be junk. There are other quality rifles out there now, but there is nothing wrong with a Colt. They are very good rifles. I will pay an extra $200-$300 for a Colt because I have owned many over the years and not one of them has given me any trouble at all. I can not say the same thing about the many of the other brand rifles that have been owned by friends and acquaintances over the years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
.154 FCG PINS?WTF?I HAVE WEIRD PIN SIZES?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't Eugene Stoner work for Armalite? So, the Armalite is the original. ALL others are copies. So, Armalite>Colt. Right?

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and it doesn't seem to different from my STAG,RRA,OR my CMMG(SunDevil-Magpul) franken rifle.

Not a very intelligent question, in my opinion.
Unless you know nothing about AK's. Polytech for the win. Norinco a close second.  Mitchell Arms imported ( pre-ban )Yugo's top notch quality, also.

For the record. To me the Colt AR's set the standard for the rest to follow!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Colt is phasing out the non standard .170 pins for the .154 pins.  

Quoted:
Didn't Eugene Stoner work for Armalite? So, the Armalite is the original. ALL others are copies. So, Armalite>Colt. Right?

Armalite of today is really Eagle Arms.  So, no.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

exactly.   AR-15 = Armalite-15, but they just stick with M-15 :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a very intelligent question, in my opinion. Unless you know nothing about AK's. Polytech for the win. Norinco a close second.  Mitchell Arms imported ( pre-ban )Yugo's top notch quality, also.

Oh, Ok.  Sorry you don't approve of the intelligence of my question

This isn't an AK thread, I was simply making a point.  I am well aware of Polytech quality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt is phasing out the non standard .170 pins for the .154 pins.
Quoted:

Armalite of today is really Eagle Arms. So,

this thing looks hot off the press-should I have the.154's?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]
They'd be smart in taking Knowshon Moreno with their first pick.

HH
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a very intelligent question, in my opinion.
Unless you know nothing about AK's. Polytech for the win. Norinco a close second. Mitchell Arms imported ( pre-ban )Yugo's top notch quality, also.

Oh, Ok. Sorry you don't approve of the intelligence of my question

This isn't an AK thread, I was simply making a point. I am well aware of Polytech quality.

Didn't mean to anger you. I qualified my remark, with the above! I should have said know little. NOT nothing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe, Maybe not.  Some people are getting 6920s with the large pins and some are getting them with the .154 pins right now.  It all depends.  It is a transitional period right now so Colt still has to unload all of the lowers that have the .170 pins as well.  Your best bet is to use a micrometer to measure the pins.

Quoted:
Didn't mean to anger you. I qualified my remark, with the above! I should have said know little. NOT nothing.

Not a problem, you are a fellow Colt fan after all
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, Maybe not. Some people are getting 6920s with the large pins and some are getting them with the .154 pins right now. It all depends. It is a transitional period right now so Colt still has to unload all of the lowers that have the .170 pins as well. Your best bet is to use a micrometer to measure the pins.

Quoted:

Not a problem, you are a fellow Colt fan after all

Why YES I am!! I'm lusting after a 6940, right now!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#31]
years from now when you long gone the colt will be coveted by your family members compared to the brand x lower with brand z parts kit. It may not to matter to some ––-matters to me I've inherited several colt firearms that I cherish––- altho I'm 45 and childless I'm comforted by the fact that my colts have a higher resale value,known to non gun folks as quality ––-as mentioned some may not care and a ol brand x is fine for them ––hell its probably fine for me but I ponyed up the xtra cash and havn't looked back.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
A Colt doesn't have much over a BCM, LMT, CMMG, etc. It has nothing over Noveske.

You can piece together a rifle that will do everything a Colt will (meet the same specs), and it won't cost nearly as much.

You are certainly getting a finer product than a RRA, DPMS, etc... but you still pay a lot for the Pony.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There was a time when Colt was the only AR15. Then others appeared. Colt put a block in their lowers that made it impossible to install a match trigger. Match shooters started using Bushmaster lowers to build match rifles. Soon people were winning matches with BM rifles, but they were not factory guns. At that time BM complete guns were considered to be junk. There are other quality rifles out there now, but there is nothing wrong with a Colt. They are very good rifles. I will pay an extra $200-$300 for a Colt because I have owned many over the years and not one of them has given me any trouble at all. I can not say the same thing about the many of the other brand rifles that have been owned by friends and acquaintances over the years.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k64/rustygun3030/chart.jpg

I wish people would stop posting this chart... it isn't even correct.

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Appreciation. The Colt's will appreciate faster because more people are familiar with them. I have a Colt Python, Diamondback revolvers, I can easily sell them for more than what I paid for them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Appreciation. The Colt's will appreciate faster because more people are familiar with them. I have a Colt Python, Diamondback revolvers, I can easily sell them for more than what I paid for them.

He speaks the truth... Colts gain value after a while...

Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
 Again?
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k64/rustygun3030/chart.jpg

I wish people would stop posting this chart... it isn't even correct.

Tell me what is wrong with it??  I'd appreciate knowing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read enough Colt bashing threads to see how they turn out.Your comment about "resale value,not much else" is part of my point.You are the one who needs to lighten up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top