Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 8:13:30 AM EDT
BEEP PULLS PORTRAIT OF QUEENS' QUEEN

By KIRSTEN DAVIS

DISS PLAY:
January 14, 2002 -- New Queens Borough President Helen Marshall is yanking down the portrait of a British queen who has rankled residents because she profited from slavery.
Marshall plans to remove from Borough Hall the picture of Queen Catherine of Braganza - believed by many to be the borough's namesake.

"Helen is looking to replace what's in our hallways now with a new art exhibit that will really reflect the diversity of the population here," Marshall spokesman Dan Andrews said.

Angry Queens residents scuttled plans to erect a giant statue of the Portuguese-born monarch in 1998 after complaining that the borough would be hailing someone who supported the African slave trade.

"It's terrific she's taking the portrait down, because it's the wrong symbol for Queens. This gives us a chance to put it all behind us," said Queens historian Jeffrey Kroessler, who had opposed the statue.

But Andrews could not say whether Marshall, the borough's first African-American beep, is tossing the painting because of the queen's slavery connection.

"I don't know [that the portrait] was singled out. It's just that it's part of this exhibit that's been here forever. It's dirty and yellow, and it has coffee stains on it," Andrews said.

Dozens of aging artworks on the walls will be taken down to make room for new pieces, Andrews said.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
From the article -
Dozens of aging artworks on the walls will be taken down to make room for new pieces, Andrews said.
View Quote

One can only imagine the monstrosities that will likely replace these 'aging artworks'!

Eric The(OneCanOnlyLookSoLongAtAnOriginal'GrandmaMoses')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#2]
pardon my ignorance but WTF is a 'beep'???
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure "beep" means BP means Borough President, just as some call the Vice President the "veep."
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
wouldn't it make sense, then, to change the name from Queens to something like PCLibhaven, or Diversitopia???

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Or change it to "Fags".

Just kidding - couldn't resist! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]

I'm just going to paint myself black,

so I don't have to look at my white face anymore.
[whacko]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I read some editorial where some little jerk wanted to pull Andrew Jackson off the $20 bill because he was involved with slavery.

Who are these people?

Edited to add: Those who share the same thoughts as the "little jerk" can send me their Andrew Jackson $20 dollar bills to me.  I will compensate you with a shiny new Lincoln penny.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet these same douchebags would have no problem hosting an art exhibition with a Virgin Mary made out of feces or a Crucifix in a cup of urine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a news report we can expect to see in about ten years:

[b]NEW YORKERS PROTEST RACIST EXHIBITION AT MoMA[/b]
By Bob Terwillager

[img]http://192.41.13.240/artchive/m/malevich/blk_red.jpg[/img]

January 14, 2012 -- An angry mob has gathered here again this week picketing the opening of a new exhibit titled "Malevich: The Russian Connection".  Protestors are up in arms over what they see as the flagrant disrespect for those of different cultures, races, and belief systems.  The centerpiece of this exhibition is [i]Black Square and Red Square[/i] of 1915, a work that seems to have its critics in a furor.

"Where is the yellow square, I ask?, where are the inclusion of circles?" yells protest organizer Trent Steele and founder of P.F.I.M.C.C.R.E (People For the Inclusion of Multiple Cultures Colors Religions Etcetera).  

The protestors are angered as what they consider a blatant disregard for others.

"I haven't watched Sesame Street for years and even I know that there are shapes and colors that...well just aren't here" says Cornelius Talmadge in response to the painting's reproduction that is emblazoned on the top center of the protestors promotional leaflets.

Art Purists and scholars such as Dr. Sally Waxler of Harvard dismissed the complaints from the art's detractors as "baseless, nonsensical and based on flawed ideology created in today's politically correct society."

Mr. Steele responded by saying, "Look at how many angry people are here, is anyone really saying that all these people are wrong?"

The protestors nonwithstanding, the exhibition plans to open as usual, albeit with a somewhat more subdued fanfare than usual.  The protestors vowing to shame those entering the exposition for their, in Mr. Steele's words, "catering to the bigoted establishment."  He also says that his core group of protestors will remain daily throughout the three month exposition to show their solidarity.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I do not want to imply that there was anything good about the Slave trade.

I do not condone the actions of the African tribal kings who bartered their people away to the Arab slave traders – nor the Arabs who sold them to the British, Dutch, French merchants who shipped them to their Colonies – nor the Colonists who bought them.

However, without the actions of all these people, Mr. Marshall would probably be the beep of a tin hut somewhere on the African Veldt.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
you're GOOD collinjay.

LMAO!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you're GOOD collinjay.
View Quote

thanks, i was bored and thought i'd show just how "correct" of a world we can expect to become
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top