Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2002 7:36:25 AM EDT
I'm contemplating a PDA.  I've never had one before - who has one, and what do you like about it?  

I'm looking at the Palm VIIx or 125.. suggestions?

Thanks!
QS
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a IIIe, so it is a bit dated.. If I were to buy another one, it would be color, expandable and be able to hot-sync via IR (almost all do now)  Other than wanting some of the new features, it actually serves me quite well. Oh, the newer ones are a lot smaller, I think I would be more prone to carry it everywhere.

another thing to consider, which I have, is there are a couple versions now that are built into Cell-phones. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
depends on what you mean to do with it. my little $50 Royal Vista crunches #s, keeps notes and addresses and schedules just fine, syncs w/ bill gates, but it wont surf the web, make phone calls or do e-mail. i dont care, i got my $50 worth.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Palm IIIxe and my only regret is that I didn't buy the color model. Mine hot-syncs via a docking cradle which works fine for me but I've never used the newer IR style so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?[:D]
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Lurker hit it on the head - what do you want to do with it?

I had a IIIe (it broke after a yr) now I have a Vx.

I do not carry a pen. I often write 1 - 10 pages of notes on my Palm. I do finacial calculations, carry / recieve .pdf files, make drawings of configurations, as well as those ho hum tasks of contact management, calander.

My .02 by the cheapest Palm or Handspring (it is going to break soon anyway). Besides if you are a heavy user you may want the next "new new thing" any way. Not to mention that the digital world has not decided if it is going to be a Palm or Windows CE world yet. I think we are headed toward notebook computers and CE based -but that is me.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Had the Vx for almost two years, did great and I loved it!  Started to get a little squirrely (crashing alot) which gave me a good excuse for a M505...

Color rocks!  Totally unecessary, but fun to have.  IMHO, the M500 is bare minimum to me and an improvement over the Vx: better screen, more durable writing/graffiti area, memory card expansion, faster OS.

OTOH, just about ANY Palm will make your life better... if money is an issue, I'd go for the Palm model that can run OS 4.0 or better... second, I'd look for rechargeable batteries,  then a memory card expansion, in that order.

Can't comment on Win CE models, other than it's cool to not have to rely on Microsoft for support!  [:P]

Have fun!

Edited to add: Stay away from the VIIx! The wireless models are way underdeveloped, will cost LOTS in monthly service fees for gimmick level performance, and are TOO BIG!  The joy of the Palms is having them immediately available- in your shirt pocket is ideal.  That way they get used, rather than end up holding paper down on your desk.  Form factor is almost everything and smaller is better, always.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top